MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
Clean everything up thoroughly and do a powder test everywhere you suspect oil is leaking...that will show you where it actually is coming from. Hot oil and air flow while riding will put oil residue in many places far from the origination point.

Valve cover gasket is the most common source of oil leaks, but certainly not the only possibility.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Clean everything up thoroughly and do a powder test everywhere you suspect oil is leaking...that will show you where it actually is coming from. Hot oil and air flow while riding will put oil residue in many places far from the origination point.

Valve cover gasket is the most common source of oil leaks, but certainly not the only possibility.

I have a track day this weekend so maybe I can get a better idea of where its coming from. The powder test, explain this on too me?

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
I have a track day this weekend so maybe I can get a better idea of where its coming from. The powder test, explain this on too me?
Powder test is simply where you clean and dry the areas you suspect of being the source of an oil leak, then spray a white powder on the area, start the engine and watch for the powder to begin getting wet (it darkens).... Sometimes you have to rev the engine to get crankcase pressure up, or wait for the engine temps to rise. Usually the leak is instantly visible, and it frequently is NOT where you thought it might be.

It is important to completely degrease and dry the areas you are testing. Use brake clean or similar degreaser/cleaner. A light coat of powder is all that is needed, it doesn't have to be thick, just even.

There are YouTube videos on the subject.

I use a dye penetrate crack detection developer myself (link below), Some people use talcum or foot powder. Desenex (or generic) unscented foot powder spray is popular, but I find cleaning up talcum or foot powder to be a hassle. The developer I use cleans easily.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/93934917?cid=ppc-google-New+-+Welding+&+Soldering+-+PLA_sPC9kgF9l___164124449273_c_S&mkwid=sPC9kgF9l|dc&pcrid=164124449273&rd=k&product_id=93934917&gclid=CjwKCAjw4NrpBRBsEiwAUcLcDAuWlCA1cDx8WTZDDgB-PbXMpRY8E9ONbBzEjMhUU8rbbiLiJkjJiRoCFQYQAvD_BwE

Reactions: Rcka and Edward

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
ok thanks ED. I will have to try this. It just drives me crazy!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update: the leak has lessened but still sleeps a Bit. I did two track days this weekend. Sunday was at Club Motorsports in upstate New Hampshire and monday i was instructing at nhms. First impressions were amazing.. The bike is an animal! 144 down the front straight at Club Motorsports! With the tall bars I can put that bike anywhere I want but my tip in points have changed alot lol. Handling was good but at nhms I felt I was driving out too wide on exit. Entry was good. I placed and order with evolution bike for the challange front nose fairing and hope to have it ready and painted for September's track days.

Reactions: falcn

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
Were you in OZ?

Reactions: falcn

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Apparently I suck at posting picturesures

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Bought a lightech keyless gas cap... Yeah it does not fit... Think it's meant for a 1078

·
Registered
361 Posts
Bought a lightech keyless gas cap... Yeah it does not fit... Think it's meant for a 1078
Looking to dump that cap? Post photos and one of us 1078 guys might snag it from you!

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
No, won't fit.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I dont even know what that cap would fit... Revzilla said it was for my bike.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Gas cap was returned to revzilla without any drama. My nose fairing is on the way from Italy should be here tomorrow.

Anyone know what a close color to the oem matte black is?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I have considered it, My old race bike was do in a wrap. I Might have to look into that. I still like the paint.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
But the cap hole was completely different on my bike and this aftermarket one.

Reactions: esq'z me

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
21 - 40 of 118 Posts