MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gents (and Ladies, if any) -

Anyone figure out how to insure a bike for track events? Not racing, but club days. I've heard a few points of view:

1. No such thing. Grin and bear it. That's what replacement parts are for.

2. If you dump the bike, get it on your trailer... and throw it off the trailer a few dozen miles away from the track. Commit insurance fraud through your regular policy. Use your jail time to heal the road rash.

3. Buy a rider to your policy. Is there such a thing? My insurance company (Progressive) says no.

4. Insure the bike with someone who covers track days. Anyone know if there's a reliable company that offers this?

I tried a forum search, but found no advice. Can anyone direct us to a good answer? The little devil on my shoulder wants me ride harder on the track. The little angel reminds me about the cost of banging up an SPR. I want that little angel silenced.

Muchas,
TC

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I am in Australia so this may not be the case in USA, There are companies that will insure on the track only if you are under instruction or at a training type course. Not an open ride day as such. Having the horrible experience of hitting a patch of oil at the track dumped from a super motard machine and trashing my first F4, I had such a policy, I had the operator write a letter I was recieving instruction, and the clincher was I rode it to that track in full road trim.
If you are going to tow it, then you must invest in track gear and be prepared to write that off if you fall, or look around for a damaged bike and turn it into a track only machine, So you have a road bike and track bike, I did this, but then I got bitten by the track bug real hard.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I hate to say it but I have heard allot about number 2, saying it got that way someother way. Allot of my friends were really in to stunting and when they had a spill it was a deer, armadillo, a rock in the road or some guy who cut them off. And thats how there bikes were fixxed. The only time other than when my bike was stolen that I used insurance it wasnt made up it was a big car and her insurance paid. I never looked in to trying to get track insurance and its pretty sad most companies dont make it easy for us to be honest.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Thomas,

I think you read too much between the lines for things that are not there. Since you're on the East Coast, may I suggest you call Monte @ Sportbiketracktime for more details on how your insurance policy will cover your bike mishap if it happened during a trackday/riding school.

May I also made myself clear that if I can't pay for my mistake, I don't even bother let alone compounding it with a petty crime. (FWIW, the repairs for my 999R racebike, during this year's 2 off-track excursions, is approximately twice the value of the actual bike new and my insurance company has yet heard from me. Lucky them! :) )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts