MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yup, this is definately where she belongs.... Unfortunately it's not where I belong just yet... LOL...

For me it was my FIRST track day and a bit crazy and fun. There were bike being tossed off on almost every run so I decided to cut the day short. Luckily I got some photos and I got my suspension tunedwhile I was there.

I'm now keeping my eye out for a dedicated track bike and maybe when I get more comfortable I take the R312 out now and then. :)

We'll, here's the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, special thanks goes out to Frank (sales guy who sold it to me) over at Bellevue MV Agusta / Kawasaki who did all the prep work on the bike the night before. He took off the rear license and lights, taped up everything, loaded it on the trailer AND brought it back and put it all back togeher for me.

Service just doesn't get better than that... Thanks Frank...

Here's his pic....

Attachments

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Great pics and congrats on your first TD :smoking:

I guess you're hooked now like many of us :toothless
And yeah, get an easier and less expensive track bike so you get used to the thing before you put the 312R on track again as it's not a good begginers bike and it's can be very expensive to crash (not that you will).

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Way to go, Wesley! I totally get your point...... I'm still a bit too scared to track my F4, so I bought a used R6 to hone my skills on and get used to the track. It's a good thing I did, 'cause repairing recent crash damage on the R6 is a whole lot cheaper than it would have been on the F4.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know when you're a kid and you start out racing the go carts around the track and then you eventually learn to drive a car. I've been riding motorcycles since I was 7 and I can hold my own on the street but when I took this on the track that I've never been on before and guys were wizzing by me WHILE I'm doing 140... um... I decided I needed something I can afford to toss if one of them bumped into me.

I wouldn't mind using it for a race school, with an instructor showing me the lines and such. I think I'm going to go to Keith Code or something like that. All in all is was an incredible learning experience. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looking good! :f4: Maybe I'll see you out there later this summer, I've got an old CBR600 track bike that I'm freshening up for my first track days.

Nice to hear that Bellevue MV/Kawi is going all out for its customers, I'll definitely be taking mine there for service.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Congrats on your first track day! There's nothing like hauling A$$ and not having to worry about cops, dogs, and bad drivers. I wish I had the balls to take my MV to the track. What track did you go to?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Track Day

Nice pics!!
I have taken the Yamaha and Ducati to track days, but I am terrified to take the F4 and put a single scratch on it!
Maybe I will grow the balls to do it someday. I can't wait to see how well it does against the Duke, which in itself is a blast to toss around and WOT.

Congrats on your first track day, and even more on being wise enough to know your limits. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I like that #1 infront :) Congrats on first Successful track day.

Here is me couple of weeks back:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Here's my little story.

I had one of the first F4 750's in Australia. I was racing a 748SP at the time and decided to take the F4 to a ride day. It had less than 100km's on it. A motard bike in front split an oil line and I hit the oil and down she went and it flipped. Trashed.

I ended up rebuilding it myself over the next 12 months.

I brought an Aprilia RS250 as a track bike until I could ride it at it's limit. I then had an R6 and and Honda CBR 1000RR as dedicated track bikes.

Eventually I got a nice new F41000S, So here was my dilemma. I would ride the Honda at track days and ride the MV on the road. Trouble was I liked the MV so much more and I got to the point where I thought this is actually dumb. I should have the MV on the track (after all I have allareday crashed one!).

So I sold the Honda, and invested in a set of track fairings (painted like an Ago) crash protection etc. Better tyres, stands warmers all for less than a track bike.

I now convert it from road to track in under 30 minutes. I can now go to the track and have a nice time on the MV without worrying "what if" and I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
MVASyd said:
Here's my little story.

I had one of the first F4 750's in Australia. I was racing a 748SP at the time and decided to take the F4 to a ride day. It had less than 100km's on it. A motard bike in front split an oil line and I hit the oil and down she went and it flipped. Trashed.

I ended up rebuilding it myself over the next 12 months.

I brought an Aprilia RS250 as a track bike until I could ride it at it's limit. I then had an R6 and and Honda CBR 1000RR as dedicated track bikes.

Eventually I got a nice new F41000S, So here was my dilemma. I would ride the Honda at track days and ride the MV on the road. Trouble was I liked the MV so much more and I got to the point where I thought this is actually dumb. I should have the MV on the track (after all I have allareday crashed one!).

So I sold the Honda, and invested in a set of track fairings (painted like an Ago) crash protection etc. Better tyres, stands warmers all for less than a track bike.

I now convert it from road to track in under 30 minutes. I can now go to the track and have a nice time on the MV without worrying "what if" and I absolutely love it.
....you haven't truely lived until you bin an MV at a trackday :)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
FSL said:
Real smooth stuff. That track looks little bit scary but lots of fun.
WOW..that looks really scary to me. I have ridden my local track 5 times, as such only a beginner, but it seems a lot easier and safer than that one.:jsm:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think after I've been through a couple of track bikes AND if I've already had to rebuild my R312 then I'd have no problem taking it out. I just need some track time where I'm not having to worrie. The last thing you want is to loose your consentration on the track.. even for a split second.

The track is pacific Raceways in Kent, Washington (US).

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
FSL said:
Real smooth stuff. That track looks little bit scary but lots of fun.
Cool video :f4:

Yeah Loudon is a pretty technical and scary track with little to no run off. The rider has 1000s of laps there though and I trust him with any bike I own.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aawwwwww!

Thanks Jacob. (group hug). That was me in the video. The bikes makes me look faster than I am (40-something washed up superbike club racer) The guy chasing me is a very very good racer on a Kwak ZX636. The F4 has soooooo much power it's unreal. We were in the slow group of a trackday (we are both instructors) so we couldn't pass in any kind of close way. That's why the video is a bit disjointed when we come up against traffic.

Anyway, congrats to all you F4 owners. That is one heck of a bike. The stock suspension settings are way too hard. If you plan on track riding set compression and rebound front and rear to about 4 clicks back from stock and you'll be closer to the good settings suspension-wise. After that it's a matter of tweaking. I'm NOT a suspension expert, but 4 clicks back on everything makes the bike turn without scaring the crap out of me (it doesn't turn at all well with stock settings).

Jacob, thanks again for letting me take the F4 through her paces up at Loudon. We need to set sag front and rear on that baby and really see how she performs.

derek

1 - 20 of 22 Posts