MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my first track day on the F4 1k. It was good. I did a personal best lap time with it (1:34). I'll have more to say in the "On the Track" section, but for now, here are some photos

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Nice pics :smoking:

Yeah, give us your impressions about the MV compared to the R6.
And what was your previous lap record?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's hard to draw really good comparisons to the R6 mostly because those bikes are in different classes (600cc vs 1k).

let me say that the brakes on the R6 are better. everything else, the F4 tops it.

my personal best was a 1:35, so i was only able to knock off 1 sec. however, my average lap time was WAY more consistent. with the F4, i was constantly doing 1:34's and 35's. it was easy to maintain that pace. on the r6, it took a lot more work.

i was a little dissappointed in myself. i was hoping for something in the low 30's (like a 31 or 32), but it was not to be. i had a chance at it, but a big slide in turn 2 spooked me and i backed off.

bottom line is that i need more time out there. this bike has all the capability i need for those kinds of lap times.

it's just up to me to find it in myself.

alex

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
altoon said:
it's hard to draw really good comparisons to the R6 mostly because those bikes are in different classes (600cc vs 1k).

let me say that the brakes on the R6 are better. everything else, the F4 tops it.

my personal best was a 1:35, so i was only able to knock off 1 sec. however, my average lap time was WAY more consistent. with the F4, i was constantly doing 1:34's and 35's. it was easy to maintain that pace. on the r6, it took a lot more work.

i was a little dissappointed in myself. i was hoping for something in the low 30's (like a 31 or 32), but it was not to be. i had a chance at it, but a big slide in turn 2 spooked me and i backed off.

bottom line is that i need more time out there. this bike has all the capability i need for those kinds of lap times.

it's just up to me to find it in myself.

alex
I would say get TOTALLY comfortable and consistant with your current pace before you push any harder... great job though.

a word about the brakes of R6 vs F4 1000: I am not sure the R6's brakes would feel so much better if the bike was 80lbs heavier and 60hp stronger going around the big track. I am sure you are having to slow down from higher speed.

Remember, 0700 has those Moto Corse radial set-up for sale, I think... :naughty: :naughty: :stickpoke :stickpoke :stickpoke

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ben, i had the lever go all the way to the bar and crush my fingers once going into turn 1. talk about a pucker moment.

it just didn't have the stopping force i thought it should.

i'll probably get the brembo radial master cylinder next.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
great pics! Looks like lots of fun. :yo:

concerning the brake: try to use racing brake fluid like the Castrol SRF and use racing pads like Lucas SRQ. Then bleed it very carefully, and you will think, you have new brake. Great improvement.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
I hear you, Alex... were the brakes getting worse as time went on?
based on all that I have read here in hte last 6 month, Manuel is right on, "bleed, bleed, and bleed them again" someone here once said...

Do a search of the foum for "brakes", I believe there has been extensive discussions on the subject.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, i did JUST change the fluid. to this: http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=51

it's not a good as the castrol SRF, but it's better than most dot3/4 fluid.

as for bleeding, i thought i had it bled really well. and the lever felt great - on the street. i think the heat was also an issue.

i'll try the SRF fluid and the different compound pads before i go to the master cylinder.

alex

·
Registered
257 Posts
Nice pics!

·
Registered
237 Posts
For what its worth I just installed a Brembo radial master on my 1K, makes a huge difference. So much so that you have to change your braking habits on the bike. For 200 bucks its more than worth. Though I have not had a chance to take it to the track yet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nice same question I had alex, thats the only thing stopping me from buying it right now hehe... also would the same brembo MC and Reservoir you get for the brakes apply to the clutch side ?? jsut curious might as well switch both if you are gonna do it.. no?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well they only make the brake side for the brake side so you could not use it for the clutch unless you ride backwards. :conveyer: But they do make a clurch master that is nice.

I am in the proccess of making a triple with integral resivoirs, but since I have pretty much zero tolerance for lack luster braking and was unwilling to wait I just grabbed some Ti that was laying around the garage and whipped up a little bracket. Nothing fancy and more than a little ugly. But it works :yo:

Also to get the lever to sit where I wanted it too I had to file down the odd "fin" that runs just infont of the stock res.

But now my brakes :guitarist :drummer: and I dont crush my fingers when I stop :toothless

Pic:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
looks fine. that location seems to be where everyone puts it.

sure would be nice if there was some way to integrate the stock reservoir. i know it would be hard, but someone clever enough should be able to figure something out.

the other thought i had was, what if it were possible to increase the piston diameter on the OEM master cylinder? bore it out, maybe? just thinking out loud...

alex

1 - 20 of 25 Posts