Four 15min sessions
- 1 session every hr for 7 hrs is 1hr 45min riding time

Turbo329 Event
Two 30 minute sessions each hour
- 1 session every hr for 7 hrs is 3hrs and 30min riding time

Cost Evaluation

$175 (avg. cost for track day) for 1hr 45min riding time
$250 (My proposed cost for future track day) for 3hrs 30min riding time

To equal 3hrs and 30 minutes of riding time with club A you would have to pay for 2 track days which would cost $350. Riding under the 30 minute format would save you $100 every time you ride the track. Plus less clutter. No more than 20 to 25 riders per group. ...and no crappy Membership fees.

...what say you?!

Am I the only one seeing this? If I can set up about 5 or 6 of these each year I may never ride with clubs again.

·
Living the Dream
2,759 Posts
I am on board with you!

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
If you set up 5 or 6 each year you should offer some sort of season pass. I'm not sure I'm sold on the 30 minute sessions. Being old and feeble, I'm wasted after 20 minutes.

Tony's track days is $225-$250 per day and they usually are at Loudon. No bargain there. I can ride at Loudon with my license for $150 for the day.

Team Promotion is around $200 per day, they usually have 3 run groups.

Sport bike track time is about $180 per day, 3 run groups.

Absolute cycle, nesba, et all are around $200 per day as well.

Will your events be offering instruction and if so who are the instructors? How many first timers will you get and do you want first timers? Perhaps you could set yourself apart by offering just intermediate and advanced riding groups.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Will your events be offering instruction and if so who are the instructors? How many first timers will you get and do you want first timers? Perhaps you could set yourself apart by offering just intermediate and advanced riding groups.
Troy Bayliss hasn't returned my call. I think he's gonna take that job back at Ducati.

Actually, TeamPro and Absolute have $100 track days now. I'm interested to see how that will play out because aside from their membership fees I don't see how they will make money. I can't see them having any less than 120 riders on the track on any given day. 120 riders at $100 doesn't even cover track rental fees at most of the big tracks.

It looks like they are in some type of war and are trying to put each other out of business.

BTW, I forgot CAG was a bonafide racer now. :yo: Excuuuuuuse me.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Just because I have the license, doesn't mean I'm a racer. I just got it so I could go the the practice sessions at Loudon on Thursdays. Two groups all day, $150. I doubt I will ever progress past the rookie race.

Team promotion has $100 days now? How did I miss that?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just because I have the license, doesn't mean I'm a racer. I just got it so I could go the the practice sessions at Loudon on Thursdays. Two groups all day, $150. I doubt I will ever progress past the rookie race.

Team promotion has $100 days now? How did I miss that?
Check the website. $295 membership gets you $100 track days and at some tracks $75.

....I'm honestly not sure how they are going to pull this off. Absolute sent me an email the other day with something similar.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
30 min sessions seem like a lot......you will get alot of burnt out people by the end of the day.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I agree with Carl, 30 minute sessions means lots more riding time, but less groups means larger groups, which in turn means more traffic on the track. And 30 minutes is probably longer than many riders, (myself included), can ride safely.

By way of comparason, consider Absolute. On weekdays, (when attendance is typcially lower), Roy runs three groups with 20 minute sessions. Bit on weekends, (when attendance is a bit higher), Roy runs four groups with 15 minute sessions. I actually prefer the 15 minute sessions. I'm happy to sacrifice 5 mins/hour track time in exchange for smaller groups. If Roy went with three groups on the weekends, I'd only get an extra 5 min/hour track time, and there'd be significantly more bikes on the track. Imo, not worth it.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with Carl, 30 minute sessions means lots more riding time, but less groups means larger groups, which in turn means more traffic on the track. And 30 minutes is probably longer than many riders, (myself included), can ride safely.

By way of comparason, consider Absolute. On weekdays, (when attendance is typcially lower), Roy runs three groups with 20 minute sessions. Bit on weekends, (when attendance is a bit higher), Roy runs four groups with 15 minute sessions. I actually prefer the 15 minute sessions. I'm happy to sacrifice 5 mins/hour track time in exchange for smaller groups. If Roy went with three groups on the weekends, I'd only get an extra 5 min/hour track time, and there'd be significantly more bikes on the track. Imo, not worth it.
I'm talking two 30 minute sessions with no more than 20-25 riders per group in exchange for paying a little bit more $$$. Roughly $250 per track day.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I'm talking two 30 minute sessions with no more than 20-25 riders per group in exchange for paying a little bit more $$$. Roughly $250 per track day.
For the east coast, $250 is not horrible. TTD charges $250 with no membership fee and no size limits. If you are talking 20 to 25 people per group and only running two groups that certainly sets you apart from most organizations.

I think the membership fee is a good idea from an organizers perspective. You at least have a base to work from, you can give a discount to those who pay the fee and charge full boat to those that don't.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish you luck. I have done these numbers a million times so I know what you are thinking. $250 per rider at your max 25 riders brings you short of what you will need to get (for Jersey) on a weekend and even during the week so break out your checkbook.. Of course, you can loose one of the Ambulances (but you will still be short) which will save you money but then if someone needs to go to Hospital, the track is shut down. When the track shuts down, you loose time on the track. Also keep in mind that, depending on the time of year, 90% of crashes happen in the first five minutes in the morning but in the afternoon, 90% of them happen after minutes 12-15 of a session when everyone is getting tired. It is not easy at all to run so little groups and so much time. You have addressed the congestion by limiting the amount of riders but there will still be disparity in the speeds of the riders. I too like more groups even if it costs me a few minutes because the minutes I have out there are quality minutes without too much traffic and withtout too much disparity and closing speeds. I completely changed clubs because I thought the Blue group was getting too full and riders got in too easy causing dangerous closing speeds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts