MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week-end, I took the Brute for 3-day 866-miles of riding bliss in the Sierras. We did Sonora, Tioga, Ebbets and Carson passes and crowned the trip by going through Yosemite under a glorious sun.

My companions were riding pure touring bikes as well i.e. Streetfighters ;) Needless to say we stood out amongst Harleys, Beemers and other KTMs.

1st videos here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGFFh-xDsN0 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBuwJkt968g

Here are some pix:

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bag info (just in case anybody wants to know)

Tail bag is the Elite Seat Sak by Luggage Locker: super roomy and very stable. I had sneakers, jeans, t-shirts, thermal long sleeves, thermal under gloves and balaclava, fleece jacket, socks, underwear, rain shell, clear shield, toiletries. Perfect for three days.
Since I am paranoid, I added an under-tail strap to prevent the back of the seat to lift as I had incidents before when it did not lock in place.

Tank bag is the Engage from Twisted Throttle. It's pretty small but perfect for the rest of my crap: Go Pro and a million accessories, camera, iPhone, sunglasses, shield wipes, a handful of SD cards, hat, small GPS, bunch of chargers for all the aforementioned devices and a kickstand plate and it was not completely full.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
Tail bag is the Elite Seat Sak by Luggage Locker: super roomy and very stable. I had sneakers, jeans, t-shirts, thermal long sleeves, thermal under gloves and balaclava, fleece jacket, socks, underwear, rain shell, clear shield, toiletries. Perfect for three days.
Since I am paranoid, I added an under-tail strap to prevent the back of the seat to lift as I had incidents before when it did not lock in place.

Tank bag is the Engage from Twisted Throttle. It's pretty small but perfect for the rest of my crap: Go Pro and a million accessories, camera, iPhone, sunglasses, shield wipes, a handful of SD cards, hat, small GPS, bunch of chargers for all the aforementioned devices and a kickstand plate and it was not completely full.

Thanks for sharing was considering purchasing a second bike for day to day riding and the ocassionaly lonmg trip. I had a 1090rr loaner when my 2011 F4 was being serviced I love the brutale. Your trip and comments only strenghted the case for me to chose a brutale as another bike.

Ric

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great thread

How did your companions find the Duc SF on the long haul?

Did you swap bikes at any point?
We didn't swap bikes but all three machines performed without a hitch and were a delight in the awesome combinations of super long and fast sweepers, miles and miles of twisties and super technical sections all in stunning surroundings.

Here's the map of our three-passes-in-a-day to give you an idea of what 277 miles of fun look like: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204862038773860332032.0004aaf615d7ea65f1702&msa=0

Good thing is that we all three had about the same autonomy and had to gas up at the same time and stretch our legs as riding position is not what I would call super comfy. We were pretty happy to reach our destination each day and settle in front of a couple cold beers.

That said, I was surprisingly fine after three days of riding and so were my buddies. This was my first long ride with the Brutale and a total blast. I can't wait to do it again.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I can only dream of such a trip what with living on an Island 9 miles by 5 miles :eek:

Closest we get to doing something similar is getting on a ferry across to France.

Thanks for sharing your trip though as it reminds me of what is out there to enjoy from a motorbike and wets the appetite to plan another trip myself.

·
Registered
396 Posts
very cool. Were the roads busy? thinking of a Motorhome trip next summer with the family, bring the Brutale for some get away time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That's awesome man! Gorgeous bikes all around :mouthwate

Is that a stock seat you're riding on? How did you survive 900 miles on that thing? I feel the aftereffects for a couple of days after a Sat morning ride. I can't imagine doing 3 days in a row.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The pictures are awesome Pierre. When you guys planning the next one let me know. I'd be down to join you guys for the trip.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's awesome man! Gorgeous bikes all around :mouthwate

Is that a stock seat you're riding on? How did you survive 900 miles on that thing? I feel the aftereffects for a couple of days after a Sat morning ride. I can't imagine doing 3 days in a row.
Yup that's a stock seat and to my great surprise I wasn't more sore after three days than I am after a three hour ride. I was bracing for a broken back and cramping muscles for days on end after the ride and it did not happen. Roads were mostly empty, no cops and the scenery was breathtaking enough that maybe I rode more relaxed than I normally do on week-end rides.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looks like a great ride...I'm surprised that the guys on the SF's weren't cramped up...I feel like the positioning on the SF is a bit more aggressive then on the Brut.

·
Registered
90 Posts
How late in the year can you ride thru the passes? Im thinking early to mid Nov via rental.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How late in the year can you ride thru the passes? Im thinking early to mid Nov via rental.
I don't know, normal weather patterns are all screwed up everywhere on this planet. You would have to check on a regular basis here: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/mtnhwys.htm.

Last year, my friends did this ride in late June and found 6" of snow on the very same road we went thru and had to turn back. My guess is that September/October is the best time window: less tourists, kids back to school, awesome weather with everything that melts already melted ;).

Here's what it looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGFFh-xDsN0

·
Registered
917 Posts
During your tour did you wish to have a winshield?
Windshields can be a mixed blessing. Often they create turbulence, which is worse than the the original airflow; it can cause buffetting, or noise. I find the wind very "clean" on the Brute, and during my tours never wished for one. To each his own, but don't assume it's necessarily desireable

1 - 20 of 22 Posts