MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a totally impractical thing to think about but I'm an eccentric kinda guy... I've got a bike rally in Highlands of Scotland this weekend.

I live in London (at the other end of the UK from the Highlands). The issue is that My GSX1400's in pieces for an engine rebuild and my ZX12R needs a service (which I'm going to struggle to achieve before needing to leave on Thursday). Shame as either would be ideal for riding there in one hit.

So I'm just sitting here thinking, could I ride from London to Scotland on an MV without crying and needing a spinal surgeon to meet me in North Yorkshire? And if I could, how would I carry anything.. at all. The storage might just allow cut-down toothbrush under the seat.

Anyone got any practical advice on comfort, carrying stuff and other essentials?

I should state at this point that I'm very used to bike touring and big-mile days, just not on a tiny exotic machine with a tail that would melt a bungee just by looking at it! Meaning my Kriega tailpacks just ain't gonna be of use here!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I can help with the back pain portion, take 2 Aleve before your ride and you should be golden. As for carrying items with you, good luck, lol.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i live in somerset and have done the trip to my native north east on my 312r a couple of times 420 miles on a scenic route(cutting out motorways) you will need to stop for fuel a few times which is a great help the last stint is a bit of a pain. sorry can't help with the luggage problem.
colin

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm planning on going from London to South of France this summer. I used to do it on a ZX6, how hard can it be?

I'm thinking of a small rucksack, that small Givi plasticky tank bag thing they do and one of those Kriega tailpacks attached to the pillion seat (saw a 1098 with one once and thought it would go nicely on the F4).

I'm planning a max of 360 miles a day but the big mileage days will be autoroutes to get down to the Alps.

No point having a bike and not using it, my big concern is hotels with garages.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Feel free to call in for a coffee and some Anadin on the way up!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to to hear others do it. To be honest I find the MV comfortable on the twisties and A roads. As with any bike it's the motorways that cause discomfort after a few hours... they are useful for covering distance fast though.

I agree with you though Slappy, I'm happy to do the miles on my other bikes. I head to the South of France a few times a year. I'll be down there in August in fact, I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm thinking that if I can do this on the MV then I'll use it for that too :)

Still, damn this country for not having Autobahn rules in place. At top speed I could cut the journey to a few hours (and probably about 15 fuel extra stops! LOL).

I'm thinking tank bag and a lightly packed kriega rucksack might work. I think tail packs would melt or f*ck up the seat unit/ecu (I'm a single seater 1000R).

Just wish I'd had the time to get hold of some rearsets first.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought a Biposto with the intention of putting a tailpack on. That was before I knew about the 'heating issues' though. I had a datatool motherboard melt on me but I reckon as long as I keep moving briskly it should be ok.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Having ridden the F4 as far as Liverpool (up through mid Wales and back along the motorways) to catch the IOM ferry, I found it surprisingly comfortable. Much easier on the bum and wrists than the ST1100 and 1300 I used to ride all day in a previous life.
I did have a mate on a BMW GS to carry my luggage though - seriously how much do you really need for a weekend? Could you mail it up beforehand?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I love touring on mine......here in Oz we have no problems with carrying stuff with a Ventura rack.

I have toured a lot on the MV, usually 700kms per day, with out any ill effects.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Well I did in 2001 a 10 day tour through the Alps. A time were the clip ons were at the lowest on F4's. Most days I rode from early morning till late in the evening, covering hundreds of km and as much as 5 high alpine passes a Day. Well I used a Hotel in Crans Montana, for three nights, as a base camp.
I used a back pack at this time, and on many other occasions.
What is it really what You need to carry with You ?
I think You need a T-shirt or two to change, Underware and socks as well. In the night You can wash with with some handwashing detergent which are sold in tubes. You need stuff to give You a wash, where a tooth brush, deodorant, tooth paste would be the most You need. Hotels have always some soap, shower gel, shampoo, towels, etc. Further You need a charged camera, might Your cell phone + charger. Of course some money and credit cards. Might a rain suit.
This all would easy fit in a small back pack.
Just do it and enjoy the rallye.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
+1 on packing light. I do prefer to take the minimum possible. Since discovering technical baselayers and lightweight sports clothing I've mastered the art of packing 3 days into the space a normal cotton t-shirt would take up.

I guess I'm just used to taking it in a tailpack is all.

I'm slowly coming round to the idea.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i have a F41000s and run Ventura rack and throw over panniers and go touring all the time (ie carrying food, tent and grog) its all possible if you have the will to do it, the best part is you get to ride your MV a lot!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Riding her into work today with a tank bag on to try that out (the ventura won't fit mine, and I'm leaving in the morning so there's not time to buy one even if it did!).

I love last minute stuff :)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
P.S. Cheers John. I may even end up handing you the keys to an MV and walking off in a strop ;)

I know everyone can't afford to keep more than one bike but that's why I have the Ducati ST. I'm afraid I just don't see the point in touring on a F4, would you take a Goldwing on a track day??

Going back to the trip up North, you are most welcome to drop in if you are passing, you could certainly have a bath filled with Radox to relieve those aches and pains.:laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd probably need to drink radox at each fuel stop too.

I've got two other bikes but one's in bits at the mo and the I'd have liked the time to service the ZX12R before using her (filters and oil are getting old) - tank range on a tweaked ZX12R is also measured in minutes, not miles. She's the comfier machine but the highlands will need careful planning for the frequent fuel stops (or to siphon a mates tank!).

I think I'll flip a coin tonight. Kwak (head) vs MV (heart) :)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I'm afraid I just don't see the point in touring on a F4, would you take a Goldwing on a track day??
QUOTE]

No - but i wouldnt take a goldwing touring either. I dont think the MV is too bad. ive done a couple of 300+ mile days and admittedly i knew id ridden, but at the same time it was fun, gave me a good buzz and I had a smile all the way.
Not all bikes could give you that, even 'touring bikes'.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I got me a baglux tankbag, that will work fine, even give some respite when you lean on it! Its here if you want to borrow it, 300 miles north of you!:naughty: I also like Ventura kit, at least the way the framework sits, I think other folk on here have had problems with exhaust damage tho?? There is a brew for you here if you need one!

·
Registered
986 Posts
I know it's a totally impractical thing to think about but I'm an eccentric kinda guy... I've got a bike rally in Highlands of Scotland this weekend.

I live in London (at the other end of the UK from the Highlands). The issue is that My GSX1400's in pieces for an engine rebuild and my ZX12R needs a service (which I'm going to struggle to achieve before needing to leave on Thursday). Shame as either would be ideal for riding there in one hit.

So I'm just sitting here thinking, could I ride from London to Scotland on an MV without crying and needing a spinal surgeon to meet me in North Yorkshire? And if I could, how would I carry anything.. at all. The storage might just allow cut-down toothbrush under the seat.

Anyone got any practical advice on comfort, carrying stuff and other essentials?

I should state at this point that I'm very used to bike touring and big-mile days, just not on a tiny exotic machine with a tail that would melt a bungee just by looking at it! Meaning my Kriega tailpacks just ain't gonna be of use here!

I live in Leicestershire and used my F4 to go to Le Man an Blackpool this year...

My advice would be:

Stop every 100 miles to stretch your legs, avoid thinking fek it i will be fine, believe me after a constant 150 miles on these babies and even if you ride over a mouse dropping it feels like youv ruptured your spleen.

Avoid straight roads like motorway's, I never do more than 20 miles on the motorway in 1 stint, use the car if you like straight lines. Your much better off moving around the seat, accelerating, braking etc to avoid a dead ass and dvt in the legs

Take some painkillers with you, sounds goofy but i take 3 nurofen before heading off on a long journey (i rate long as +200 miles) , your head / necks in an awkward position for hours on end and it hurts, your legs are high and again it hurts, besides that the paracetamol content in tablets stops any chance of the squits or excess toilet stops as it drys up your system..... nice but they work on a few different levels

Ventura luggage works a treat too, just be a bit handy with the remedial work you will need to do to stop them marking you pipes, i spent half a day and managed to relocate how it all fixes so it clears the cans completely now

1 - 20 of 21 Posts