MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I totalled my Brutale! Fortunately, I'm not personally totalled but have a broke patella, broken elbow, strained ankle, and broken hand for my troubles.

:f4: I was following an SUV that hit the brakes for no reason in a corner late Saturday two weeks ago. I managed to stop in plenty of time but kicked down to first gear thinking it was second. The rear locked up and I was thrown over the bars and smacked on the ground. I caught the eyes of the woman driving the SUV as she drove off, leaving me lying on the road next to my bike. :hand: Fortunately, the next vehicle stopped and pushed the bike off the road. I had to crawl off the road as I quickly found I couldn't get much use out of my left leg.

:conveyer: Rehab is coming well and I'm getting some range of motion back in my arm and leg. I estimate 2-3 weeks to be back in the saddle again. I sit on my BMW K1200GT daily and test out my balance on my left leg and the strength of my left hand on the clutch handle.

I'm not sure about getting another Brutale. I'll prolly go for something milder mannered and more passenger friendly like a Duc GT1000 for my next city bike.

In any case, I just heard from the insurance agent that the bike was totalled and they could give me a max of an extra thousand bucks for the accessories I've added. That means I can keep and sell either the gel seat from emoto or the Scott steering damper. Neither was damaged at all in the accident. Any interest in either one of those?

Regards

JCM

·
Administrator
20,061 Posts
That just really Sucks. Glad you will recover and ride again.

·
Registered
774 Posts
So bad to ear that. Hope you'll plenty recover ASAP and continue to ride !

·
Registered
225 Posts
Damn women in SUV's!! :banghead:

That's really bad news and I'm so sorry to hear that you and the bike were unable to walk away from the accident.

·
Registered
917 Posts
So sorry to hear bout your get off. And glad your injuries aren't worse- though bad enough, eh? Best wishes for a speedy recovery,
Michael

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry about your going down, best wishes on a fast recovery. Classic that the SUV driver simply drove away!!!!!
PM'ing you about the seat.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What a @#$%&! Hopefully, she has nightmares about leaving someone lying in the middle of the road! Sorry to hear about all the injuries.

·
Registered
443 Posts
reptile said:
Damn women in SUV's!! :banghead:.....
Get real here - I'm glad he's OK but by his own description the accident was entirely his fault. "I managed to stop in plenty of time but kicked down to first gear thinking it was second."

Although he was most likely following too close he WAS able to brake but screwed up downshifting.

I know it's natural to sympathize and empathize with fellow riders but that doesn't mean everyone else on the road is always at fault for whatever happens.

Sure she should have stopped ....... as a "non-participant" she may not have realized what happened behind her until it was too late to stop. People just don't want to get involved these litigious days and even that is understandable. :(

I AM glad JCM is relatively OK and sorry it happened!

Tom

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
That sucks, i'm very sorry to hear :(

But at least you're here. :)
Heal up and get well soon.
As for the bike, you can always get another :f4:

·
Registered
822 Posts
ouch, hope you heal up better than new!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Good luck on the mend.

I hope bad things happen to that bitch...

We ALL need to leave more space between us and the occasionally indecicive cages.

Peter

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Glad you're okay and healing.

I hope this isn't cold or callous, but I'm interested in the damper.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
TPadden said:
Get real here - I'm glad he's OK but by his own description the accident was entirely his fault. "I managed to stop in plenty of time but kicked down to first gear thinking it was second."

Although he was most likely following too close he WAS able to brake but screwed up downshifting.

I know it's natural to sympathize and empathize with fellow riders but that doesn't mean everyone else on the road is always at fault for whatever happens.

Sure she should have stopped ....... as a "non-participant" she may not have realized what happened behind her until it was too late to stop. People just don't want to get involved these litigious days and even that is understandable. :(

I AM glad JCM is relatively OK and sorry it happened!

Tom
WHile I usually frequent the F4 side (aka the cool kids :f4: ) I will weigh in on this one....
I to sympathise for the rider and hope he is mends well.....

But I have to agree with Tom on this one....at least based from the description of what happened. In our sport of "sport riding" we generally are pushing legal limits......we have to mindful that others (suv moms, etc) are in their normal paced world. Thus we cannot always be so quick to put the blame on them. Would I be pissed if someone pulled out on me while I'm doing 80 down a country road and have to slam on the brakes...YES.....but I would also understand that they may not be used to seeing a small bike traveling at a high rate and misjudge its closing velocity......

ALSO>>>there is one good lesson to learn here....everyone should practice their Emergency braking every once in a while....Its not something we use alot....BUT the one time you need it, it better be perfect........ABS in our cars has kinda spoiled us and "dumbed" down the art of braking quickly. Notice that the rider in that case was down shifting...thats the last thing I would, as varing braking by downshifting is not effective in an emergency situation.....ME, I would have grabbed clutch....and worked the front and rear brake accordingly.

My .02

1 - 20 of 24 Posts