MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , so I’ve always been told and religiously stuck to only using a torque wrench to do nuts up . I’ve noticed watching motogp that they often use the same torque wrench for undoing aswell . Watch a tire change in qualifying to see this . Can someone “ please explain “ .

·
Registered
612 Posts
As far as what the pros do and why, is only a guess.

Why would the manufacturer put a reversing lever on their wrench if not to be used? The wrench used like in the "motogp" probably was set at the highest level to remove a bolt. At the same time, the spring is compressed tightly and could reduce the serviceability and the calibration over time.

My sons and I will pick up a standard ratchet for removing and only do as you do for nuts up.

·
Super Moderator
24,431 Posts
People wo use torque wrenches professionally have calibration organizations that check tolerances within the wrench at a specific periodicity. The wrenches, if bi-directional, are checked in both directions with the level of error marked on the calibration sticker.

I will go out on a limb and say that MotoGP teams there wrenches in a way that does not damage them or significantly change their calibration characteristics.

There are very few fasteners, mostly engine components, that have a critical torque specification. Most torque values for things like wheel nuts, brake calipers, clip-ons, rear-sets, etc have a wide spec of around 20% error.

Military/Nuclear/Aerospace specs are much tighter and in those applications torque wrenches are calibrated before and after use to ensure that truly critical parameters are met.

I have ratcheting torque wrenches that I occasionally use to remove a fastener after I have applied "break-away torque" with a regular ratchet or breaker bar. That "break-away torque" is a value that is sometimes required for maintenance specs in certain applications. IN order to measure that, you must use a torque wrench that "freezes" the peak value at break-away.

Reactions: MVF4S750

·
Registered
2012 Moto Guzzi Norge GT8V
17 Posts
The reversing lever is there to set the torque on reverse thread bolts not for use as a breaker bar. In a race situation they do it to reduce pit times.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Is there a torque wrench that actually works both ways? My torque wrench only clicks in one direction, even with the little lever that allows one to undo reverse the ratchet mechanism.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Mine has a drive that goes all the way through and pokes out both sides.
Rachet only works in one direction, you just flip it over to do a reverse thread.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My larger torque wrench goes both ways so it can be used for the rear wheel nut . They are out there but it came with specific instructions also to use for torquing only.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Torque wrench for tightening only - I have 4 and use one for left hand threads only.

Moto GP boys have the benefit of lots of money and access to proper calibration and probably don't give a shit.

·
Registered
F4 312r
289 Posts
Is there a torque wrench that actually works both ways? My torque wrench only clicks in one direction, even with the little lever that allows one to undo reverse the ratchet mechanism.
My Snap On torque wrench does both ways just by flicking the lever like any other ratchet. I have a large Beta wrench where you push the 1/2 inch square to one side or the other so it too does both directions but it only ever moves the same direction, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Have two reverse reading torque wrenches (1/2 and 3/8) for use when torque value is unknown. Least I know approximately what the value is within a +/- tolerance.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Norbar. High quality without having to subsidise professional mechanics with Snap on prices. Eg, Our aircraft engineer only purchased Snap on because if something broke he could ring up and have it replaced immediately. He said if he didn't need that service there would be no reason for him to buy Snap on. Its all about reducing penalties for the aircraft being offline. Retail buyers are subsidising that service because we rarely need to replace tools, and even more rarely in an emergency. Poor bastard had in excess of 30k worth of imperial tools for Bell helicopters, then we went and bought A139s and its all metric 😆

·
Registered
327 Posts
Norbar. High quality without having to subsidise professional mechanics with Snap on prices. Eg, Our aircraft engineer only purchased Snap on because if something broke he could ring up and have it replaced immediately. He said if he didn't need that service there would be no reason for him to buy Snap on. Its all about reducing penalties for the aircraft being offline. Retail buyers are subsidising that service because we rarely need to replace tools, and even more rarely in an emergency. Poor bastard had in excess of 30k worth of imperial tools for Bell helicopters, then we went and bought A139s and its all metric 😆
Yes.
Norbar is the brand of my one. Couldn't remember the name at the time. Seems pretty decent quality to me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts