MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm in the garage, and trying to loose the rear wheel nut. But the thing won't move one bit!! What is the torq setting on this? And I guess it's left treads on this?

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
Like all MVs...220-240 nm and LEFT hand thread.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I think everyone has had trouble at some point in MV ownership trying to get that nut undone . The first time I tried it was a three person job, big fella's, a long bar and a 4lb hammer . We put the bar under pressure and hit it with the hammer to 'shock' it undone .

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think everyone has had trouble at some point in MV ownership trying to get that nut undone . The first time I tried it was a three person job, big fella's, a long bar and a 4lb hammer . We put the bar under pressure and hit it with the hammer to 'shock' it undone .
:wtf: Ok, so it's just raw muscle thats needed :laughing:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Delta may I suggest your next two tool purchases are a new spare wheel socket and a rattle gun, it does save a hell of a lot of grief.

But don't use it to do the nut back up.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! Then it's the Impact gun next :) And I don't going to use it when it's going back on ;)

·
Administrator
19,829 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
967 Posts
Don't put it in gear to hold the back wheel, use the rear brake or strap the wheel to the frame/footpegs or whatever works

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
!!!!

Don't put it in gear to hold the back wheel, use the rear brake or strap the wheel to the frame/footpegs or whatever works
+ 100

strap through the wheel to the foot peg mounts........putting it in gear is VERY hard on

the gears

I use alloy socket and an air impact (rattle gun) it takes ~ 1 second of impacting on a

CORRECTLY torqued nut with just a hand on the tire to stop it from rotating

:popcorn:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Also, get a long extension and go through the sprocket side when re-torquing. Obviously, the extension would go through the inside of the wheel socket.

Best to torque clockwise with your torque wrench when possible for accuracy.

I've always had someone just stomp down hard on the rear brake, while I torqued it. Never put it in gear.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Also, get a long extension and go through the sprocket side when re-torquing. Obviously, the extension would go through the inside of the wheel socket.
Best to torque clockwise with your torque wrench when possible for accuracy.
That depends on which torque wrench you have :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi!
I tried my battery operated rattle gun, no go. So I think I have to try the air operated one.
Im getting scared :D
The nut on the sprocket side, I took off with my fingers...... is it the same torque on that side?

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Hi!
I tried my battery operated rattle gun, no go. So I think I have to try the air operated one.
Im getting scared :D

Are you going the right way (it's reverse thread !, so clock-wise to undo !) ?

The nut on the sprocket side, I took off with my fingers...... is it the same torque on that side?
Have you even looked at the manual ! ?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you even looked at the manual ! ?
I know its reversed threads on the thing.
What im worried about, is the state of the nut after im done, when the nut is so damn stuck. I think I just let it be, and let the dealer take care of it.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
I know its reversed threads on the thing.
What im worried about, is the state of the nut after im done, when the nut is so damn stuck. I think I just let it be, and let the dealer take care of it.
It's only reverse thread on the wheel side.

If you're struggling with a shitty rattle gun, all it will do is damage the nut, you need 400nm+ torque to undo it if it's that stuck.
I heat the nut, then stick a cold wet rag inside the axle, then apply rattle gun.
Might as well order a new nut now.

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
stuck?

Erlend;

mix automatic transmission fluid 50/50 with acetone.......this is the highest rated

penetrating solvent....put a few drops where the nut touches the wheel and where the

axle touches the nut....wait an hour and have at it

use anti- sieze on the threads ONLY, when reinstalling the nut

I use a CP-734 air impact 425lbft/575Nm, I set it on 4 of 10, it impacts for 1 - 1 1/2

seconds I use an alloy socket.....leaves minor marks

NEVER use the transmission for undoing.....

wheel or sprocket nuts, CS nut or the clutch hub nut

I have no battery powered tools.....either air or corded ( OK, vibrators for the girls, and even they prefere the corded

Hitachi LOLOL)

:popcorn:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts