MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a quick question here, but I took my 2005 Brutale 750 out to the country side and was getting on it pretty good on some long straight roads, and it struggled above 100mph. The fastest I got it up to was 108mph, and I dont ride at those speeds very often but I thought that was on the slow side for this bike. Is this the norm for the 750, or is something not quite right? Acceleration is pretty damn quick up to about 60 or 70mph if you gun it, so that am falls like it should. I've have a few problems with the bike, but she is running like a champ at the moment without any issues.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe I am the 3rd owner of this bike...possibly the 4th. The previous owner barely rode it, he put just over 600 miles on it over 2 years. I ride a few hundred miles a month easy. One person had mentioned to me about the rear sprocket looking pretty big though. So that could be the case. I've attached a pic of the rear sprocket below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Do you hit max revs in any of the gears ?

·
Registered
227 Posts
108 mph top speed sounds IMHO to be well under the bikes potential...

I woulda thought hanging on like feck in a 140 / 150 mph breeze while grinning like the proverbial Cheshire cat...?

·
Administrator
19,804 Posts
Is 47 Tooth the standard rear sprocket? (I haven't looked at manuals yet).

My 910R has seen over 150 (tucked down and still being blown off the back!). I would think you should easily see 120 on the 750.
How old is the fuel filter? Could it be you are "running out of gas"?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Must be restricted somehow ??

Hey...

That Brutie 750 must be either restricted or have a problem with fuelling??

Spec-wise it should be able to deliver at least 110bhp + The gearing shown is near standard 41 teeth on the rear sprocket..

I had a test ride on a 2005 Brutale 750 just a few months ago and had that one up to an indicated 235 kph on the Autobahn, struggling a bit to hang on >:)

My own 750SR regularly hits the rev-limiter, when out playing hooligan or doing 1/8 mile runs.. (in the mid to high 6 sec bracket) and thats at 14000 RPM .. :f4:

Get it on a dyno .. Mine put 137 HP on the rear wheel, but then again it is an SPR engine...

·
Super Moderator
22,312 Posts
Looks stock to me

1.JPG

2.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure how old the fuel filter is. I will end up replacing it over thr next few pay checks. It pretty much sat for two years before I picked It up. The top speed isn't a big deal to me, as I cannot afford a ticket on it being I drive for a living. But I do want to have it perform as it should. I will also do the spark plugs at the same time as I'm sure those are old as dirt too. And if I can find an air filter, I'll be doing it as well. Just a basic tune up and then see how she does. Money is gonna be tight though with the holidays right around the corner.

·
Super Moderator
22,312 Posts
Sounds like you haven't been in the Fuel Tank since you acquired the bike.
I'd recommend doing fuel hoses, filter and a thorough check in that tank.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have not been in the tank yet, had many other issues that took priority unfortunately...the alternator being the big one. I was just researching the fuel filters and Noel has the parts listed so that be next payday. Just curious, why the fuel lines though?

·
Super Moderator
22,312 Posts
Because the fuel lines degrade over time and are a scheduled maintenance item every three years. I have seen hoses so greatly degraded that they collapse when touched.

If you decide to do the internal hoses, I have the correct spec hose for a price better than you will be able to source probably.

·
Administrator
19,804 Posts
Wow...my eyes are getting weak. I thought that looked like 47 in the photo....now I see it is 41.

As Chuck said, the fuel hoses deteriorate....and your E10 gas in California makes things worse. The hose can literally start to shed internal material into the filter and pump restricting fuel flow. I'll bet your bike is "running out of gas".

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How hard is it to get into the tank? Is it just remover the tank and the under side where the fuel lines come out of it? If so I'll try to get into in maybe this weekend. Gotta see what my brother is looking like. He's working 6 days a week right now, and he's my main dude for working on my bike. He has a garage with all kinds of tools so anything that needs to be done is done at his place. Once he is available we will get into it.

·
Administrator
19,804 Posts
Fuel pump and hoses are an easy job. The manual tells you everything.

Remove side panels and seat (no tools).
Remove key guard (4m allen wrench)
Remove side braces on tank (5m allen and 8m socket)
Remove rear holding bolt (allen)
Lift tank, reach under and unplug fuel pump, drain hoses and fuel lines (careful...they are plastic and can be broken).
Set tank on bench.

That takes me literally a few minutes.

Remove bolts holding pump in tank, use 3 of those bolts in threaded holes to push pump out of tank, disconnect vent hoses from pump plate.
You now have the pump in your hands.

A little research here and in the manual will reveal everything you need to do.

Do not buy an o-ring from the dealer...... they are cheap is chips from McMaster-Carr (or a forum member like me).

Reactions: nigelrb
1 - 20 of 24 Posts