MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I heard she is actually a member of a 'crack' Welsh Al Queda network wanting to start operations in the South Pacific. The 'fat' label was just a way to avoid any panic down here.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
I can't believe that anything 'official' uses BMI as a useful indicator of anything. geez.

·
Registered
658 Posts
What about the drunks, dopers and smokers? I would imagine they cost a couple of bucks to look after. You could just give them all some cyanide pills and be done with the whole bunch.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Maybe you can also ban jews, intellectuals, gypsies, homosexuals, etc. Oh, some other country already tried that. I think they called it the "final solution".

·
Registered
819 Posts
Meh, i can see their(NZ) point. In an all to politically correct world this seems like a breath of fresh air. Got nothing against heavy people, but on the whole those over heavy people live lives that can be a drain on healthcare. Especially a system as small as NZ.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I originally posted this just because I thought it was kind of funny. But in light of the debate here in the US over health care perhaps it is more serious.

Having some government bureauocrat determine whether I'm healthy or not based on my looks concerns me.

CAG

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
CAG said:
I originally posted this just because I thought it was kind of funny. But in light of the debate here in the US over health care perhaps it is more serious.

Having some government bureauocrat determine whether I'm healthy or not based on my looks concerns me.

CAG
Yep but it's not looks it's "diet and lifestyle"...and it's a slippery slope, it starts with just the obese but where does it end??? how much exercise do you do compared to me what is your cholesterol level how much do you drink or smoke and how many trans fats do/have you consume(d)...what are you genetically pre-disposed to etc...it gets ugly pretty fast and sadly I'm pretty sure it's gonna happen....maybe not in our lifetimes but I think we're seeing the start.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
CAG said:

CAG

exactly, hence my comment about BMI being a shitty indicator.

according to NZ standards, I am overweight. I admit I could lose a couple pounds, but geez, i'm little outside Japan.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
CAG said:

oh yeah, US debates....that's right, i think i've seen some of that on CNN.

Who's winning? lemme know so I can cast my useless absentee ballot for the winner.....

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We conservatives are concerned about just this sort of thing. While "universal health care" makes a terrific sound bite this is what can happen when you let a government agency run it. It is completely unacceptable that in a country as wealthy as ours some citizens can't get afford health care, but letting the government provide free health care for everyone is not the answer. As one wag said, "if you think health care is expensive now, just wait until it's free."

Rockethouse is right: If you accept their health care, it won't be long before they start mandating how you have to live. That single malt you enjoy? Sorry, could lead to alcholism or liver disease. And that occaisonal cigar? Can't smoke it at work, can't smoke it in any reastaurant or bar in the New England, it's probably bad for your health so those are out. But that's ok, because even if you are too stupid to avoid things we think are bad for you, we'll prohibit you from them. It's for your own good you know.

I can't think of one thing the government does better than private industry.

Sorry for the political rant.

CAG

·
Registered
922 Posts
Which is more politically incorrect--fatties not allowed to switch citizenships, or healthcare only for those who can pay? Maybe one is morally incorrect as well.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I heard on the radio yesterday that some extremely over weight people are claiming disability allowance from the state because of their size due to over eating and drinking etc.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts