MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shocking incident....what do all the NASCAR boys make of it?

RIP Kevin Ward JR.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts

·
Old Wing Nut
22,164 Posts
Black suit, black helmet, dimly lit dirt track, dirt and dust covered face shield....dives down the track when he finally sees him, which tends to cause a dirt track car to slip which unloads the engine raising rpm.....

Only Tony knows but no charges being planned......just a really ugly incident.....what was he thinking getting out of the car and walking on the track while it was hot?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
100% agreement with Ed on this, even if Tony Stewart did mean to buzz or give him a dirt bath. It still doesn't make him responsible for the guy getting out of the car and charging another race car on the track in a dark suit on a darkly lit circuit. He wanted to show everybody how big his balls were by beating his chest like a silverback gorilla on the track and it cost him his life.

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
Testosterone amuck. Stewart has been larger than life for 20+ years playing the "hot headed bully". That's who he is. Everyone, including young Mr. Ward knew that. There's a certain amount of street cred tugging on Superman's cape, and that's exactly what Ward intended by his actions.

Did Stewart see him? My guess? Yes. His immediate thoughts? "Yet another pretender....I'll give him a little lesson. No one messes with me". Did he intend to run him down? CERTAINLY NOT.....not in a million years.

But.....it's not Stewart's m.o. to back down. Never, never would he have stopped dead in his track and provided Ward with the forum to act out his charade.

My guess? Stewart miscalculated, by the tiniest of margins, his actions, and as a result, Ward got himself killed. Notice I didn't say Stewart killed him, but that Ward got himself killed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I briefly saw part of a video of it and all I saw was Ward getting out of his car and parading around. Common sense would dictate to get out of the track if it's hot or stay in your vehicle. Don't get out and parade around being billy badass. I wasn't there and I can't armchair quarterback peoples actions but safety rules were violated and a man got himself killed due to his actions.

·
Super Moderator
7,374 Posts
Our media in NZ covered this fatality.

They showed several post race or incident interviews or actions of Tony Stewart threatening violence to other racers, throwing helmets at a car after exiting his car post crash while cars were still circulating.

Totally unacceptable.
Life ban.
Too many larger than life "cult heroes" escaping proper punishment.

Tony Stewart is a thug who should never get behind the wheel of a racecar again. I base that on his actions that preceded the death on the weekend.

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
Our media in NZ covered this fatality.

They showed several post race or incident interviews or actions of Tony Stewart threatening violence to other racers, throwing helmets at a car after exiting his car post crash while cars were still circulating.

Totally unacceptable.
Life ban.
Too many larger than life "cult heroes" escaping proper punishment.

Tony Stewart is a thug who should never get behind the wheel of a racecar again. I base that on his actions that preceded the death on the weekend.

That's just half of the story on Stewart. To a man (plus Danica) the NASCAR community supports Stewart. Every single competitor.....every one of them.....has video examples of them 'threatening' or 'promising retribution' against a fellow driver. Two week later, they're out fishing together.

Stewart has no family, he's not married, so his life is racing. He races 2-3 times per week at small bull rings that absolutely LOVE him. Why? He's one hell of a talented driver, and two, having him at your track on a Friday night will guarantee a sell out crowd and a huge gate. That was his way of giving back to the grass roots racing community.

Let me be clear, I'm not a Tony Stewart fan, but he's not a thug. I've been a NASCAR fan for 40 years, and I watch every race. Stewart has been a quiet mentor to numerous newbies in the sport. He's extremely charitable with his fortune, helping hundreds in the racing community.

·
Super Moderator
7,374 Posts
Nope.
This guy is a dick, Randy, so I'm sticking to my guns on this.
I'm sorry mate - his actions speak louder than your words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwc8obMmv7o

Regardless of the mantle others may place him on (not you Randy, others) the flaw in this apparently tallented driver is far too much to overlook.

I can't accept this display of violence by a man who is supposed to be a role model. Kids are watching this right?
Hell, if I did something similar at my place of work I'd be out on my arse.
If I was a sponsor I'd cut him loose.

I'm totally disregarding any other half of the story because he's a danger to himself and a danger to others in a sport that is dangerous enough without this kind of behaviour.

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
David, have I ever lead you wrong? I've followed Stewart closely for 20 plus years, and NASCAR for 40, and I'm guessing you never heard his name prior to this week, right?

Is he a choir boy? Hell no......but he's no thug.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Not to speak ill of the passed, but what the fuck was ward thinking? You don't walk on to a live track and get in front of fast moving cars and live to tell the tale! You wait to hash out your grievance after the race! At any rate, it's a sad loss. May he rest in piece.

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
Hard to tell, but you can clearly hear Tony accelerate as he gets next to Kevin JR, does not look good at all, driver walking onto the track like that is pretty stupid, but not worth getting run over for.
http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/08/10/tony-stewart-kills-kevin-ward-jr-tragic-accident-video/
Black suit, black helmet, dimly lit dirt track, dirt and dust covered face shield....dives down the track when he finally sees him, which tends to cause a dirt track car to slip which unloads the engine raising rpm.....

Only Tony knows but no charges being planned......just a really ugly incident.....what was he thinking getting out of the car and walking on the track while it was hot?
100% agreement with Ed on this, even if Tony Stewart did mean to buzz or give him a dirt bath. It still doesn't make him responsible for the guy getting out of the car and charging another race car on the track in a dark suit on a darkly lit circuit. He wanted to show everybody how big his balls were by beating his chest like a silverback gorilla on the track and it cost him his life.
Donsy, Ed;
they were under a yellow flag......watch the back end of Tony's car go left....away from Kevin

note to self.....

when racing at night on a dimly lit track......wearing all black......don't run onto the track.......

even under a yellow flag......might get hit......no shit!

that said;

I laid on the front straight at Ontario Motor Speedway 10 feet from Bobby Unser lapping at 202mph taking pictures of the rubber spoilers

1 Bobby knew I was there
2 I trust Bobby

:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
7,374 Posts
I've thought about this reply now for a while.
Randy, lets just agree to disagree on this one.

With the greatest of respect, my friend.
Dave.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
By chance I read about this today and saw the movies. No I did not hear about both persons ever before, but it seems to me that the Steward guy is not totally blamefree of this tragic incident. And no, Ward should not have been on track to provoke him. That worked too well...

·
Registered
559 Posts
If you choose to race Nascar, Indy, Superbike, ect. your putting your life on the line. When you choose to walk on the track your odds of losing your life go up. Someone should have used there head and stayed in there car. Problem solved.

·
Registered
17,191 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I know when you get you racing license you are told that if you crash or have a failure you must get behind the race wall and not stay on the track. If you do the race gets yellow flagged as its a saftey issue. I guess nobody saw him on the track as it was dark. Its an unfortunate racing incident.

·
Super Moderator
7,374 Posts
OK, one more time......naah, you just wouldn't understand.

What, you're saying you'd accept that at your house? Or at the Bubba Track Day?
This behaviour would see you handed a life ban from several sports codes that I follow.

Are you saying that if it makes good TV then it's acceptable?

Actually, in hindsight..........you know what - you're right Randy.
I don't get it and I'm kind of glad I don't get it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts