MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Question for you.....to try and put it into some context.....

How many of you warm up your car engine before driving off? I don't 0:)>:)
Good point,
this morning I drove off straight away......gently. However I view my 80 series Landcruiser differently to my MV in that the latter is very much a high performance engine and feel, up to this point anyway, should be treated differently.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'll respond to this divergence:smile2:
When I as a youngen' racing MotoX mid to late 70's the protocol was... -1st full tank of fuel low to moderate revs.
-next tank of fuel moderate revs with occassional blip into the high zone.
-3rd tank you can start giving it a handfull more so but not all the time.
Beyond the 3rd tank your free to ride as you please. Simple but it worked with the 2 strokes of the time:wink2:

I hear you! Fairly played Sir!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Watched an electric superbike go around a racetrack at a meet once. It was a demonstration. He was doing 220klm plus down the main straight and you could hear someone cough in the crowd of in the distance......very weird.:surprise:
Borrowed a Zero at Barber Vintage Fest a couple of years ago and was doing wheelies down the lanes in the RV lot and nobody even noticed me, was hilarious. Also snuck up on a guy trying to impress a girl with his horrible guitar skills.

·
Registered
163 Posts
And what about track days? The first session starts at 09:00 but there is a lot of admin stuff to do (unload the bike, put it on paddock stands, tyre warmers, registration, put your kit on etc.)
There is not much time to start the engine while all that is going on, so what is one to do then?
C.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Watched an electric superbike go around a racetrack at a meet once. It was a demonstration. He was doing 220klm plus down the main straight and you could hear someone cough in the crowd of in the distance......very weird.:surprise:
AS we are way off topic! I saw video of Electric F1 car, reminded me of a huge electric remote control car! The acceleration is off the charts! We are at the dawn of a new era, it is exiting! The new drones that are being tested, unmanned and electric, capable of extreme speeds and G forces, makes people think they are seeing UFOs!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Surely if you needed to warm up the engine before use it would say so in the user manual ? :)

I just start it up and ride off. I do have some mechanical sympathy and dont redline it from cold. It warms up much more quickly under load (riding) than when at idle and most engine wear takes place when its cold. So the quicker you get it up to temp the better ....apparently

On a track day where you need to use all the revs immediately then it makes sense to have the engine warm ..and the tyres

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Up to this point all participants seem to agree that the bike needs to be warmed up for a period before giving it full throttle. The debate possibly could be whether you sit for a period or begin to move immediately.

I’m tending towards moving as soon as you’re ready and gently bring the bike to temp before putting under full load.
This will be an ingrained behavioural change but there have been some good points put forward.

The agreed ‘no no’ is to rev the shit out of it from a cold start.

·
Registered
866 Posts
AS we are way off topic! I saw video of Electric F1 car, reminded me of a huge electric remote control car! The acceleration is off the charts! We are at the dawn of a new era, it is exiting! The new drones that are being tested, unmanned and electric, capable of extreme speeds and G forces, makes people think they are seeing UFOs!!
Yeh, I can't wait for my first electric track bike :grin2:

·
Registered
408 Posts
the reason I let my bikes warm thoroughly is to let the oil reach its design temp so the viscosity is where its supposed to be to lubricate the engine as it was meant to

·
Super Moderator
21,420 Posts
Um, that's why oil is multi viscosity.....

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
the reason I let my bikes warm thoroughly is to let the oil reach its design temp so the viscosity is where its supposed to be to lubricate the engine as it was meant to
Are you running straight weight oil? Unless you are then its optimized from 10c to 100c, hence the multi-weight rating. Once you hit 40c its basically as thin as its gonna get.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts