MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, as the previous owner of a 2001 F4S (Red/Silver) and 2002 F4 1+1 (Diamante) I am in a bit of a quandry. I would like to build the ultimate track bike. I may do some racing, as I did on my 2001 MV, but mostly track days is my thang! Right now I have a 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R that I built with everything one could want. I have about 25k invested in all the good stuff!!! So here is the question.... Would you rather buy a 2007 MV F41000R, and spend some cash on better brake pads, Brembo PS18 radial pump, maybe a rear brembo racing caliper a race exhaust and some of MV's outrageously priced carbon fairings or build a 2007 ZX-10R or GSX-R with all the superbike bits like I have already done. btw, I did love the MV! It felt great to ride about but I want a competitive, fast bike and I have not ridden the new 1000 from Agusta. Just thought I would put something out there that is thought provoking!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
Well, Brian, I assume you know you may get a slightly biased view here...Beautiful Kow, BTW, I own a 2000 ZX7R that I have done alot to as well, short of carving a 30 pound hole out of its center.

As an owner of both a tuned RC51 and R1, I find the motor to be the best of both, torquey pull from the bottom, with a wicked drive all the way to red-line. But since I rarely pull 11,000 RPM while carving canyons, I have fallen in love with the Marzocchi forks, and Sachs racing shock. Arguably you could slap the same combination on a track bike, and probably enjoy it just as well. But I think the critical element might be the way this chassis just works with this suspension. I see it written across this board frequently, the feel of the road is second to none. I didn't even touch a clicker until I had over 2000 miles on the bike (not counting steering, sorry).

In the end, go with what you want. You just don't want to be sitting in your garage wondering if you did the right thing, right?

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
twoeleven ---> Have you done any track days with the bike? I know it's a Tamburini but I wonder how the power deliver and extra weight fare against the ZX-10R's and GSX-R's out there.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
I would love to, I can only imagine!!! Not until I purchase a set of race bodywork and some frame sliders. The thought of waiting for who-knows-how-long for replacement CF bodywork on a limited production run is a bit intimidating! I would probably have to ride with my hazards on!!!

98 R1 is current track-day weapon of choice. Fast enough, and easily replaceable! I'd like to get my 05 RC51 out to the track soon, she is still a virgin, but is equipped with the Sato lows and matching PowerCommanderIII USB. Needs a better (and taller) shock, I am thinking about Ohlins...Any ideas would be appreciated. THANKS!

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
brianhevans said:
Hi all, as the previous owner of a 2001 F4S (Red/Silver) and 2002 F4 1+1 (Diamante) I am in a bit of a quandry. I would like to build the ultimate track bike. I may do some racing, as I did on my 2001 MV, but mostly track days is my thang! Right now I have a 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R that I built with everything one could want. I have about 25k invested in all the good stuff!!! So here is the question.... Would you rather buy a 2007 MV F41000R, and spend some cash on better brake pads, Brembo PS18 radial pump, maybe a rear brembo racing caliper a race exhaust and some of MV's outrageously priced carbon fairings or build a 2007 ZX-10R or GSX-R with all the superbike bits like I have already done. btw, I did love the MV! It felt great to ride about but I want a competitive, fast bike and I have not ridden the new 1000 from Agusta. Just thought I would put something out there that is thought provoking!
Some one once told me, "It doesn't matter what you do to a Model T, in the end, it still is a Model T."

I have a tricked out ZX-10R that I race in WERA West A Superbike/Superstock, as well. At the end of the day, the Kawasaki is what it is.

It might be a cliche' but money is best spent toward riding school rather than chasing after the greatest and latest bike, thinking that it will make you king of the hills. Case in point, we had a trackday at California Speedway (a.k.a. Fontucky) this past weekend where my 996SPS passed numerous liter-bikes on the banking between the final turn and T1&2 chicane. The last time we dynoed the SPS, it made 122rwhp (vs. a ~170rwhp GSXR-1000 with a pipe and PCIII). At any rate, take a F4 1000cc and sprinkles it with decent riding skills, you will more than holding your own out there. :)

(Courtesy of Odonata :) )

Attachments

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Interesting post.
I have a F4 1000 (I use mainly for the road), but I race and track a Honda CBR 1000RR. I do this because of the amount of money I want to "invest" in racing. The honda bits are cheap, readily available and a lot of tuners that know what to do.
That said, if I had the money I would have an F4 1000R race bike in a heart beat. The Honda's good but the MV brilliant. And beating the guys on "normal" jap bikes would be a blast.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Stay with a Jap bike for track days and racing. They are cheap to fix, and you know you are going to bin the thing. I have Italians for the street and a Honda 600 for the track. As far as what is a faster bike, that is all down to rider. I have passed and been passed by guys riding 600 or 1000's. My last crash was a high side into the dirt which, cost me about $200 to fix. Try that on anything Italian. And besides, you wouldn't take a supermodel to a demolation derby.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
nick5704 said:
Stay with a Jap bike for track days and racing. They are cheap to fix, and you know you are going to bin the thing. I have Italians for the street and a Honda 600 for the track. As far as what is a faster bike, that is all down to rider. I have passed and been passed by guys riding 600 or 1000's. My last crash was a high side into the dirt which, cost me about $200 to fix. Try that on anything Italian. And besides, you wouldn't take a supermodel to a demolation derby.
Nick,

While I see your point, not taking the F4 to the track is a great injustice. I am not advocating you to race your Mv but the joy of track-riding is a must experienced thing. :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
MV-1000R was a good 1.5 seconds faster than any other bike around the track at Masterbike. Most of the riders also found it the easiest to ride the fastest as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the feedback on this thread....interesting stuff but I must point out one thing about the Masterbike contest. The MV F41000R was the fastest bike by about 1.4 seconds but only in the hands of one single guy who was an ex-world supersport racer. But the 2006 ZX-10R was about .6 faster on average, amongst the top six riders of the test. The Kawi is a little easier to ride fast but the MV looks good doing it. For me, it's not about the cash....it's about what I can be competitive with...

The ZX-10R is a little more powerful and about 40 pounds lighter. In order to reduce the MV by 40 pounds I would need magnesium Marchesini rims, carbon bodywork, full titanium exhaust and any magnesium parts I could find like side covers, rocker cover and triple trees. Then I would be at the starting weight and power of the 2006 ZX-10R. I really wish MV would step up and build a hp/weight competitive machine that didn't cost 85k (F4 Veltro Pista). Know what I mean? It's taken 3 years just to get radial calipers and proper brakes. Maybe my wish will come true in the next year or two....then I'll get another MV and I'll be racing it for sure! Thanks all.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts