MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at that point where I'm ready to buy a new bike. No more JP crotch rockets. I looked Ducati, Aprilla, and Triumph. I was close to getting the 1100 Monster, but I sat on a Brutale. It was the most comfortable of all.

I set my heart on the Brutale but then I started reading some of the maintenance and viability issues with the bike/company (albeit, maybe from haters). I ride my bikes and I'll put thousands of miles on this within a year. Spending the money is not the issue, but expensive and sensitive is not something I'm ready to deal with.

Where are the promoters? Where are the "I have over 50,000 miles on my MV" stories? Yes I'm fully aware of their on/off history. It's kind of like the pre-90 12 cylinder Jaguars. When they ran, it was heaven. But damn, once that car starts having problems, they never go away and money bleeds.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
I put 24,000 miles on mine in the 2-1/2 yrs I had it. Loved every mile.

Others have more miles than that.

·
Registered
668 Posts
There have been a couple of recent posts asking the same thing. You're always going to see the negative postings, in part, because this forum is an invaluable resource of knowledge and expertise about MVs. People don't normally post just to say "Had another trouble free day" because most people on here don't have any issues. I would be suspect of any bike (or other product) where people felt the need to report a trouble free day.

I bought my Brutale without even riding it. Sat on one at a bike show, knew that I had to have it. Best money I've EVER spent. I don't have as many miles on mine as other's but other than having to change the fule connector, I've had no issues.

Get it. You'll love it.

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
The Brutale & F4 are NOT the Issue

MV Agusta (the company), back up and spares IS the issue:jerkoff:

Stay well clear until MV Agusta get their act together and supply the much needed back-up and availability of spares.

If they cannot see this after 10 years and are oblivious to irrate and pissed of customers, they deserve a swift kick where the sun dont shine

and no more factory closures for a full month at a time, no wonder MV ended up on their ass. :jerkoff:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Well i have rode the Triumph 1050 and that bike is amazing and is very nimble! and Black paint scheme is sick!

·
Registered
890 Posts
i have mine brutale 910 R now for a bit more than a year and i have put
15 km on it. so far i am very happy and it never let me down. i did
have 2 warranty issues (water pump leaking, and front fork waring off)
but both issues were solved very nicely and in both cases i had just to
bring the bike to the store and they fixed/replaced within 1 day.
for both issues, it was not urgent and i could contiune to drive until
the parts arrived. perfect job and well done both by MV and
the dealer.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I'm on my third Brutie, with absolutely no problems at all. I also own two Ducatis (Sport 1000 and S4RS). The build quality, fit, and finish on the Brutale is much nicer than on the Ducati.

Satisfaction may hinge on your specific dealership. If you've got to travel 500 miles to the nearest MV dealer, and the nearest Ducati dealer is just around the corner, then you need to think about that. Also, as I'm sure you know, some dealers are better at customer satisfaction than others.

At the end of the day, don't be afraid of the product. Sure, we have some malcontents here, but I'd put customer satisfaction in the high 90's on this forum.

Comments guys?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Well i have rode the Triumph 1050 and that bike is amazing and is very nimble! and Black paint scheme is sick!
I am with you on this one. I think personally for me choosing between the Brute and that is quite tough.

I can definitely appreciate where the OP is coming from. I do not have a Brutale, but I have the better version of the MVs...the F4 Senna :) and I have had no problems that I can report of where I had to go to the dealership...there was a time when my bike was leaking a bit too much coolant every time I would stop but it went away and I think it was too much coolant in the system.

Other than that (mind I have not put too many miles on it) I have had no issues. I think you will be fine with your Brute purchase but as another forum member put it, what with the current economic situation, and the HD deal with MV...and the factory being closed...and all that...not to mention a lot of MV dealers have stopped dealing with MVs (I can name a few from the top of my head) it is indeed a bit worrisome.

I cant believe I am saying this but maybe the MV is not the best choice at the moment? Maybe the Triumph is?

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I cant believe I am saying this but maybe the MV is not the best choice at the moment? Maybe the Triumph is?
Wash your mouth out with soap Surya! :)

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I had another trouble free day on my SPR yesterday.

I had a trouble free day on my Brutale on Sunday.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Triumph reliability is rock solid, They are a growing successfull company with very good customer service. Triumph is not in the same league as MV when it comes to being exclusive, and not as beautyfull as the MV, but it is a fine bike !! With a rich heritage around the world.

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
I'd put customer satisfaction in the high 90's on this forum.

Comments guys?
Yes....very high 90's. :yo:

AND...parts availability no longer seems to be the weak point it was a year ago.:smoking:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with many of the posters......I really like the Triumph triple as well--I think they have an incredible amount of character......

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First, thanks for keeping the comments focused on the reliability/technical aspect. When it comes to "which bike rides/handles/feels better", this could be debated forever. Equally and if not more important are owners experiences with mechanical issues...parts availability, recurrent problems, maintenance.

Postings that list miles and problems they've had (both in and out of warranty) are especially helpful. These nuggets of gold will help me decide whether to buy a used (w/o warranty) or new MV. I don't know if it's a coincidence but all of the Brutales I see up for sale (used) have under 10,000 miles.

For you MV owners, please continue listing your miles and services.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
499 Posts
no issues with mine requiring unscheduled work. have a 2006 f4. have spent about $6k in mods, but mostly to personalyze/tweak this and that... nothing that i had to do--just wanted to do!!

go with the mv! or maybe the bmw hp2 sport! :) :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
had more troubles with the Ducatis ....
if you like it then take it ...
if you are looking for the ultimative carefree bike, then good luck with a never ending evaluation process ..

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi there,if i were you i'd steer clear of an mv. i've just bought a matt black brutale 920 brand new and it has the build quality of a chineese bike. petrol melts the tank decals and the seat fit is awful. do youself a favour and get a jap bike. wish to god i had.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I've been really happy with my Brutale S, Granted I've only put 2000 miles on it in the year I've had it, but have not needed anything done to it. It was sat in the corner of a garage for almost 7 years. I do have a slight weaping of coolant at the impellor pump, when I do a coolant flush this summer, I'll change that out. Other than that I've just changed oil and filter, and need to get new tires.

Problem free spring so far!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts