MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got a fresh rear tire, and looked at the rim. They goobered up the edge a little! So I'm pissed and let them know, I get 90$ off the job but wtf. Not like they will fix/paint em. Do you chalk this up to never goin back to the place, lesson learned, shit happens? What do you guys do?

·
Old Wing Nut
23,992 Posts
Get some touch-up paint, choose another shop next time. Rims sometimes get little scrapes just from riding, but we hate to see it.
Wear and tear.
OR... you can demand they have the wheel repaired instead of a discounted price.
What kind of shop did you go to?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I agree. It will happen, just upsetting. And curious to what the masses do in this situation. It's a pretty big local dealer but who knows how the turd in the back shop was trained

·
Old Wing Nut
23,992 Posts
At a large dealer you get a gopher/trainee doing tire swaps, and they are under the gun to work fast.
Find a small independent shop where you know who will be doing it and know they will care.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I bought a Harbor Freight tire changer and then found some modified tools online to make the process easier. I do all my own tires and enjoy being able to do the job right with no damage. I also have a wheel truing stand that I use to balance the new tires. Works very well. I just changed both tires on my 2007 F4R along with the front tire on my 2008 Ducati S4RS Tricolore. The money I saved easily paid for the tire changer equipment.

·
Vendor
5,816 Posts
I had new tyres a while back.Just gave them the wheels.
They put the rear tyre on the wrong direction,they removed the tyre and re-fitted it.
That tyre lost 10psi per week,they must have damaged the tyre bead.
I would take the wheel back and tell them to send it away to be repaired.
Wankers.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I took my BMW r9t spoked rims to get the tyres installed, I had just installed a Outex tubeless tape kit and told them to be carefull. They stuck a tyre lever through the tape whilst installing so I was losing massive amounts of air everyday, then they denied responsibility for it !

Reactions: mitchy

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had a brand new H2R, zero miles. Needed to swap the Bridgestone slicks that came on it for some Pirelli SCs. Brand new wheels, brand new tires. The guy at the Kawasaki dealer used a flathead to pry the weights off and destroyed those areas, then he mangled the lips of both wheels on both sides, front and rear, swapping tires. It's the worst I've ever seen a set of wheels damaged. When I complained they said "they were like that when you brought them in". After much swearing, I took the wheels home and put them on the bike. Instead of putting the dot over the stem the right way, the guy had put the tire on 45 degrees off requiring a bunch of weights to balance the wheel. Instead of using the correct 'hammer onto the bead' Kawasaki weights, he used the flat stick on kind. On matte wheels. Which promptly fell off.

Spent almost 60K on a brand new Kawasaki, couldn't get a set of tires changed without doing $1500 worth of damage.

Never again.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet jesus. So not terribly uncommon. I would do my own tires but honestly i just dont have the room for tools or desire to do it. Spose i should check the air pressure on it to make sure its holding!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I always make it a point to tell the person I am handing over the wheel to make sure the do not damage it. I also make it a point to show them existing nicks/scratches if any and tell them to be careful. If after all this, they damage the wheel, I will definitely make them fix it or pay for it.

When I got tires mounted for my bike last year, the place which is a huge motorcycle outfit, mounted it reverse. I had to make a 2nd trip for them to fix it which increases the risk of wheels getting damaged.

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
I use a yellow wax based pencil to mark the rotation direction on EACH side. Large type saying TIRE ROTATION ———> (no mar installation)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Cover the rim edges with duct tape before giving it to them. Perhaps they'll get the picture and be a little more careful.

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
Cover the rim edges with duct tape before giving it to them. Perhaps they'll get the picture and be a little more careful.
or they will figure they can go like hell at them. F that!
Best the have them changed while you wait so they agree to handle them with care. Calling in advance with the same concern and confirmation they use a 'no mar' system. Using tape would omit the use of a proper system for quality rims.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
or they will figure they can go like hell at them. F that!
Best the have them changed while you wait so they agree to handle them with care. Calling in advance with the same concern and confirmation they use a 'no mar' system. Using tape would omit the use of a proper system for quality rims.
In ADDITION to doing everything that was mentioned, I'd put the tape on there. Never did I imply tape will take the place of going to a crap place.

Reactions: EBBO

·
Registered
24 Posts
So got a fresh rear tire, and looked at the rim. They goobered up the edge a little! So I'm pissed and let them know, I get 90$ off the job but wtf. Not like they will fix/paint em. Do you chalk this up to never goin back to the place, lesson learned, shit happens? What do you guys do?
I had mine powder-coated for $200. A good resource will be able to match the front. I’d make the shop remount with the promise it won’t get buggered — or pay to have it done properly elsewhere. I changed mine with the proper tools and it sucked. Even bought the cub adapter and wheel balancing stuf

·
Registered
315 Posts
I can change a tire in about 15 minutes using my Harbor Freight changer and modified tools. Simple process. Biggest thing I've learned is to buy a bottle of tire lube and use it liberally on the beads to ease the process.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts