MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my usual Sunday AM ride up to Tortilla Flat today (hey fazer6, where you been? it was warm and lovely today!).

Can't make another run on my back tire. 2,300 miles is all I can milk out of the original SuperCorsa Pro. It's as bald as my dome.

I can get a good deal on a Diablo Corsa III, but it's a 190/50 - 17 instead of the 190/55 originally fitted.

I know I can adjust the rear ride height to maintain the excellent handling I've grown accustomed to, but are there any downsides to making this change that I haven't thought of? Anyone else switch from 190/55 to 190/50?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
The difference in circumfrence is so minor, your speedo will only be off slightly. Maybe 1-2 mph per 60MPH...so at most 4 mph at 120mph...give or take.

I dunno how off the speedo is on the MV, but most every bike, the speedo's are usually optomistic to begin with, so the smaller tire might actually make it more accurate(?)...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oicdn said:
I dunno how off the speedo is on the MV, but most every bike, the speedo's are usually optomistic to begin with, so the smaller tire might actually make it more accurate(?)...
Probably true. I was mostly interested in any experience with handling differences. Probably over analyzing for street use. I use my Brutale maybe twice a week to run up to Canyon Lake (Tortilla Flat) and I've gotten used to the suberb grip and handling.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Arghh!!!!
Stuck inside pretty much :mad:
I get to commute on my brute, but for a while, that's all I'll get out of her, despite the PERFECT riding weather.
I've got the usual going on, plus I entered an Urban Design competition with a team at ASU that will take up any 'free' time I had for the next 10 days (it's an intensive charete exercise, they gave us the problem Friday, and we have till Feb. 5th to send in our proposal).

No clue on the tire thing, this is the first bike I've had with a 190, but I doubt it's huge, since a lot of guys advocate switching their MV's to a 180 anyway.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Koop said:
Did my usual Sunday AM ride up to Tortilla Flat today (hey fazer6, where you been? it was warm and lovely today!).

Can't make another run on my back tire. 2,300 miles is all I can milk out of the original SuperCorsa Pro. It's as bald as my dome.

I can get a good deal on a Diablo Corsa III, but it's a 190/50 - 17 instead of the 190/55 originally fitted.

I know I can adjust the rear ride height to maintain the excellent handling I've grown accustomed to, but are there any downsides to making this change that I haven't thought of? Anyone else switch from 190/55 to 190/50?
If you're worried about changing the specs, then you might like to have a look at the Continental SportAttack. I have no experience with it, but its specs look good, and it comes in 190/55.

·
Registered
571 Posts
As general rule: 190/50 is more suitable for highway driving (high speeds on straits), 190/55 is more suitable for curvy-roads. You don’t have a Hayabusa, so you know the answer.

tvass

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
tvass said:
As general rule: 190/50 is more suitable for highway driving (high speeds on straits), 190/55 is more suitable for curvy-roads. You don’t have a Hayabusa, so you know the answer.

tvass
I'm not so sure anymore...I used to be of the frame mind but if you get the bike set-up properly for the 190/50 it should tip just as easy (not my personal experience, just what I've been told and I believe mikef4 will most likely agree) as with the 55 profile.

I'd go with the 55 as thats what the bike came with and if you're happy with the way it handles at the moment messing with it to save a few bucks doesn't seem worth it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I scrubbed in the new (to me) Pirelli Diablo Corsa III this morning. I might've found a new favorite. I ran my usual route up past Tortilla Flat. Compared to the OEM SuperCorsa Pro the traction level is similar if not better. It's hard to compare fairly as I'm running a new tire against my memory of the last rides on a worn tire. One thing that really stood out was the way the tire tracks over bumps and grooves in the road - very stable, far better than the OEM tire. :drummer:

As far as the 190/50 vs 190/55 goes, the difference is slight. Measuring my worn 190/55 and the new 190/50, the difference in diameter is less than 2%. The new tire lowered the rear ride height ~4.5mm; I raised the ride height adjuster to compensate. The handling remains brilliant, the only difference I thought I could perceive was less of an RPM change when standing the bike up from fully heeled over. Might be all in my head, but there's one very slow right hander up above Tortilla Flat that I take in 2nd at low RPM (4 - 4,500 or so) and roll on throttle as I stand the bike back up. I always noticed a slight bogging effect as the bike went upright due to rolling onto a larger diameter on the tire. This morning it was barely noticeable. As I said, it might be in my head or I might've hit the corner a little faster, 2% difference in tire diameter isn't much. :guitarist

1 - 9 of 9 Posts