MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bring this up if it has been answered numerous times before but I have a tire question and wasn't able to find an answer when I did a search.

I am getting the track bike put together and I need to find out what size tires to order. It is an 01 750 and I want to put pliot race's on it. I like the feel a bit better then the super corsa's that I have tried.

I was hoping somebody could answer whether 190/50/17 Medium/120/70/17 PR2 (med-soft) Michelin pilot races would fit on the bike without any rubbing or other adverse effects.

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just curious why you would run a 190/50?

I'm not sure if it would fit, but I'd highly recommend a 55 profile as it will give you better turn in, and more of a contact patch at extreme lean angles.

Oh, have fun at the track, and post some pics!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's why I posted to the people in the know. I will switch my order over to a 55 profile. If anybody knows of any fittament problems with these size tires I would like to hear about them.

Thanks
SOULRIDER said:
Just curious why you would run a 190/50?

I'm not sure if it would fit, but I'd highly recommend a 55 profile as it will give you better turn in, and more of a contact patch at extreme lean angles.

Oh, have fun at the track, and post some pics!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Maybe that's true, my "R" has Super corsa pro's, the rear is a 55 and I just don't think it suits the bike at all, to be perfectly honest I am not sure whether it is just the profile of the super corsa, what I do know is my "S" was a far better handling bike, the best way to describe it is the "S" was more neutral feeling, the "R" feels sometimes as if the front and the rear are not talking to each other,the "S" had more grip coming out of a corner, it did'nt try to stand up if trail braked into a corner, it turned as quick and was more confidence inspiring, the only thing stopping me putting a pair of Michelin Power 2CT's on NOW with a 190/50 rear is I don't want it standing all through winter on them, then and only then will it be as good as my "S" :) :naughty:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
mikef4uk said:
Maybe that's true, my "R" has Super corsa pro's, the rear is a 55 and I just don't think it suits the bike at all, to be perfectly honest I am not sure whether it is just the profile of the super corsa, what I do know is my "S" was a far better handling bike, the best way to describe it is the "S" was more neutral feeling, the "R" feels sometimes as if the front and the rear are not talking to each other,the "S" had more grip coming out of a corner, it did'nt try to stand up if trail braked into a corner, it turned as quick and was more confidence inspiring, the only thing stopping me putting a pair of Michelin Power 2CT's on NOW with a 190/50 rear is I don't want it standing all through winter on them, then and only then will it be as good as my "S" :) :naughty:
Mike....... i think it's time for you to trade your R for my S :D

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
you're not the only person i know who ditched the 190/55. i guess tires all come down to personal preference and the feel they give each individual.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
MV-999R said:
Mike....... i think it's time for you to trade your R for my S :D
:laughing: :laughing: yeah right :naughty: I'm just a bit of a perfectionist, I love my MV's, and after the set up on my "S" I JUST know how good they can be :)

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
mikef4uk said:
:laughing: :laughing: yeah right :naughty: I'm just a bit of a perfectionist, I love my MV's, and after the set up on my "S" I JUST know how good they can be :)
:laughing: :laughing: I know i know.... :)

But it's funny to see how you always go back to you S and say your R is not quiet as "good" (yet).

BTW you could be a sport and make a list of that fine tunning you did on your S :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Hi,

Mike your right by saying that the R "feels sometimes as if the front and the rear are not talking to each other" do you know what needs to be changed or adjusted?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
MVMANIA said:
Hi,

Mike your right by saying that the R "feels sometimes as if the front and the rear are not talking to each other" do you know what needs to be changed or adjusted?
I honestly think it's just the tyres, maybe the profiles just don't suit it? If i'm riding pretty commited they feel fine, but that may be i'm just too busy doing other stuff :ahhh:
The first thing "peet" did to his was change his for powers, I also have a sneaky feeling MV have just fitted the 190/55 rear with the same height setting as the 190/50, I may even forget seeing the winter out and just change them now. don't forget this bike was designed around the 190/50

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Im changing my tires very soon as the grip level is not so good in damp or wet weather, and my previous "S" had stable cornering compared to the R version, Also yesterday i was riding for an hour and a half or so and while i was riding i felt something had changed on my bike and i can still feel it even now. The rear of my bike feels like its struggling to follow the front while im cornering.

Its really bugging me to what it could be.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
MV-999R said:
:laughing: :laughing: I know i know.... :)

But it's funny to see how you always go back to you S and say your R is not quiet as "good" (yet).

BTW you could be a sport and make a list of that fine tunning you did on your S :popcorn:
My "S" was as follows.

RG3/cat bypass and PC, set the TPS and throttle balance before fitting a PC, it still messes about slightly under 3000rpm, but mine never stalled at all an was strong all the way through, still would'nt blip between 3000-4500 rpm for downchanges though.

Suspension wise I had the Maxton rear and forks revalved and ran Powers, it really was good, I pulled the forks through the yokes 6mm, and kept the rear height std, the bike would go where ever I wanted it too.

If you have a std set up watch the rear height, my mates dropped 12mm at the rear through settling alone over 18 months,
I knew it had dropped when we swapped bikes one day, as I'm not the tallest person in the world the moment I sat on it I knew, he hadn't noticed the gradual change, and also didn't like it when we lifted it back up, he said he was turning for corners to soon :laughing: .

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
MVMANIA said:
Im changing my tires very soon as the grip level is not so good in damp or wet weather, and my previous "S" had stable cornering compared to the R version, Also yesterday i was riding for an hour and a half or so and while i was riding i felt something had changed on my bike and i can still feel it even now. The rear of my bike feels like its struggling to follow the front while im cornering.

Could i be the lighter wheels also? (besides the tire profile)

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
mikef4uk said:
My "S" was as follows.

RG3/cat bypass and PC, set the TPS and throttle balance before fitting a PC, it still messes about slightly under 3000rpm, but mine never stalled at all an was strong all the way through, still would'nt blip between 3000-4500 rpm for downchanges though.

Suspension wise I had the Maxton rear and forks revalved and ran Powers, it really was good, I pulled the forks through the yokes 6mm, and kept the rear height std, the bike would go where ever I wanted it too.

If you have a std set up watch the rear height, my mates dropped 12mm at the rear through settling alone over 18 months,
I knew it had dropped when we swapped bikes one day, as I'm not the tallest person in the world the moment I sat on it I knew, he hadn't noticed the gradual change, and also didn't like it when we lifted it back up, he said he was turning for corners to soon :laughing: .
Thanks Mike :)

I'll have that in mind since i'm putting my F4 back on the road pretty soon :yo: :yo:

Just one more question.... what's the std rear height?

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
That could be a factor, but im not so sure that its causing the rear to feel the way its doing, now this change only started yesterday it was fine before that.

I need to get the bikes suspension and tires checked out.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
MV-999R said:
Thanks Mike :)

I'll have that in mind since i'm putting my F4 back on the road pretty soon :yo: :yo:

Just one more question.... what's the std rear height?
I measured mine the first day I bought it, I don't think it will be much good to you though, Bike on stand and I slide a 1/4 drive extension through the rear frame amd measure from that to the top of supplied stand, I would'nt think two rear frames are identical? the MV tool locates into the side plates and also measues to the stand

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
mikef4uk said:
I measured mine the first day I bought it, I don't think it will be much good to you though, Bike on stand and I slide a 1/4 drive extension through the rear frame amd measure from that to the top of supplied stand, I would'nt think two rear frames are identical? the MV tool locates into the side plates and also measues to the stand
Hmmm.... i see.... but then you would have to be sure that your F4 came with the correct factory ride height from the dealer (which is doubtful)

I thought you were measuring it in the ride heigh ajustable rod.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
MV-999R said:
Hmmm.... i see.... but then you would have to be sure that your F4 came with the correct factory ride height from the dealer (which is doubtful)

I thought you were measuring it in the ride heigh ajustable rod.
That wouldn’t take into account any settling of the spring, plus personally I don't think it is a good measurement, there are far to many linkages for it to be repeatable form bike to bike

I assumed it would be the right height from the factory, it is also within 2mm of my 1000S when new, the only 100% way is the factory gauge I suppose, but there again if your happy with the handling and height, providing you can repeat/check it hasn't moved, it doesn'y matter if it is different to factory settings?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
MVMANIA said:

That would be weird for it to happen so quickly on a ride but thats how I'd describe the hadling when tyre pressure is down.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Rockethouse said:
That would be weird for it to happen so quickly on a ride but thats how I'd describe the hadling when tyre pressure is down.
I wonder if that is what I am feeling with my bike standing up under brakes? maybe these supercorsa's are critical to tyre pressure?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts