MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I got a nail on in the dead center portion of my rear tire with only 1,500 miles on the bike. I was considering going from the 120/70 (front) and 190/55 (rear) to a 120/60 and 190/50 because this would lower the bike a bit more. I'm short (30 inseam). But would would be the draw backs to the lower profile -aside less lean angle? This option would mean I'd be selling the front Supercosa.

Also, is plugging a tire a reliable option IF my riding is primarily limited to residential canyons. It's mostly 20 to 50mph turns. I don't do much freeway riding.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Alan, the 190/50 rear will have a flatter profile and you would notice that as the bike leans over. Also you will be lowering the sidewall which makes the rims a bit more succeptible to getting dinged by potholes and such. You also need to consider the chang to the geometry of the bike similar to lowering the front or rear. The change in tire circumferences need to be accounted for.

As far as plugging tires, I don't or won't do it on my bikes. It may be fine it might not, but for the cost of a tire versus replacement costs of anything on the bike it makes sense to replace it. Not to mention the though of getting strande somewhere if the plug fails, not worth the hassle IMHO.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rob. So it sounds like the flater profile will give a more abrupt turn in. Also, changing the circumference will also effect my speedo. As for the potholes, they're no potholes in LA. :D

I agree on the plug issues - it's just frustrating that I could go 100 miles and get another nail (which was probably in a pot hole) and repeat the whole process.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Not necessarily abrupt but it can be slower making the steering feel a bit heavier.

I got a flat one year coming back from Laguna seca. Sucked because I just put the tire on before I left. Fortunately, I have only had one puncture in my 14 years of street riding.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Plugging: I was unlucky with punctures when i used to commute on my old bike, so i used to use a lot of them. (can't afford a new tire every month. ;) )

Never had any problems with them, and as far as falling out, just put a new one in. Never had on fall out though, and I used to 'use' the tire before replacement.

I have all the gear onboard to get me going under my seat, haven't needed to use it on the MV yet but a kit is handy when you are 100+ km from anywhere.

Jonathan

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have to agree, I always carry a plug kit and have used it lots on the BMW with no trouble. I guess if it really bothers you take it to a tire shop and have it Vulcanized, you can patch darn near anythng with that stuff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I`ll plug in an emergency gut when I get home the tire gets a patch as long as the hole is in the tread. Ive run patched sport-tour tires >20K miles

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was told by Dunlop that 190/55 was meant to emulate the 16.5" rim by giving a more compliant sidewall for corner exit grip. I liked the profile on the 208GPs as it gave a good turn-in around the corners. But the 190/50 just LOOKS right on a 6" rim!!! I never dicked with the front profiles.
Like Rob said, check the circumferences and change the ride heights to accommodate and go from there. Or just put them on and ride, man. :moped:
I've plugged street tires from the outside using the tar string and glue. Not on a $24k MV however!! Worked fine for me for 3000 miles. Just keep an eye on it at first. I figured if the plug came out it wouldn't cause a crash but just could be stranded. But I wouldn't go haulin' around PCH-1 doing 160mph!! But maybe 90mph up Angels Crest!!

MikeR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts