MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have to replace the OEM SuperCorsa on my F4 pretty soon, and I'd like to go with something more suitable for street riding, with a little longer life. The bike currently has 1600 miiles, and I doubt I'll get another 1000 on the tire by the looks of it. I really don't want to have to replace tires every couple of months. I have no plans to take it on the track, but neither do I want to go to a hard sport-touring compound, just something more suitable for streets & twisties.

I'd like to know what kind of mileage folks are getting on tires like the Michelin Pilot Power, Dunlops D???, Pirellis Diablo Corsa, etc. Grazi.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My D208RR are 7000km old and I should get an extra 2000km with it. (No Highway...)
Really good tires (if you've got the right pressure on it (f:2.4kg, r:2.7kg).

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
falcopilot said:
I'm going to have to replace the OEM SuperCorsa on my F4 pretty soon, and I'd like to go with something more suitable for street riding, with a little longer life. The bike currently has 1600 miiles, and I doubt I'll get another 1000 on the tire by the looks of it. I really don't want to have to replace tires every couple of months. I have no plans to take it on the track, but neither do I want to go to a hard sport-touring compound, just something more suitable for streets & twisties.

I'd like to know what kind of mileage folks are getting on tires like the Michelin Pilot Power, Dunlops D???, Pirellis Diablo Corsa, etc. Grazi.
Michelin Pilot Powers all the way :) with fairly brisk and sporty use you will get 3000/3500 miles AND also the grip the 1000 needs
:drummer:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I got 3900mi out of the Powers and pushed them a little further. And now I have the Diablos with about 1500mi on them with little sign of wear but just don`t feel as confident on them.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
cdamb said:
I got 3900mi out of the Powers and pushed them a little further. And now I have the Diablos with about 1500mi on them with little sign of wear but just don`t feel as confident on them.
+1, I had two sets of wheels, with Diablo corsa and Mich Powers mounted, I was much more confident on the Powers..............

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
+ 2 I was really impressed with the Pilot Powers on my 750 F4 and other bikes I've owned in the past. I can't envisage buying anything else for my current bike.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I've been hearing a lot of folks say they like the Pilot Power, and I'm leaning toward getting those in the newer 2CT version. Discount Tire has the rear for about $176 USD.

However, I forgot to ask about Metzlers, and if anyone has any experience with them on the F4. It's not clear from their web site which is the longer wearing tire; the Sportec M1 or M3. Anyone tried Metzlers on their F4?

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Unbeleivably, I got almost 9000miles out of my Pilot Sports (came on the bike), and I wish I could get that from the Powers now fitted, but I wouldn't give up the extra grip and confidence gained by the far shorter mileage.

·
Registered
200 Posts
mikef4uk said:
Michelin Pilot Powers all the way :) with fairly brisk and sporty use you will get 3000/3500 miles AND also the grip the 1000 needs
:drummer:
I agree. They are probably the best tires out there for your needs, without compromising grip and wet riding.
I have even used them for one or two track days.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I'm in the same position as you are with the tires. I want a tire to grip, but damned if I want plastic feeling tires that kill me mid-turn. I'm all for more grip if it means not binning it. But I think I'm starting to realize the line I need to draw to sacrifice a LITTLE bit of traction for the amount of miles I put on my bike. I'm closing in on 8K and I've only had the bike since April!!!

I've read a TON about the Michelin Pilot ROADS. It's like a PP, but all the dealers I talked to, say it lasts about 30% longer. They say they're fine for people who drive aggressively, but don't road race on the street....I.e. goo 100% balls out on the street. Who does that anyways???

I think for the street, they should be fine, even if you drive aggressively. I personally think PP and Diablos and Supercorsas are a bit of overkill and you get no real mileage out of them. For anybvody that really drives thier bikes, I think they're overkill. If you only take her out on weekends, I would stick with the powers, but I drive everyday...so it's borderline retarded to stay with those kinda extreme tires...

When my Pilot Sport dies, I'm going to PIlot Roads...high mileage, as I ride everyday.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Pilot Powers are really so well matched to the F4, i suppose depends how much wet riding you do...if not much then the powers are hard to go by

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oicdn said:
I've read a TON about the Michelin Pilot ROADS. It's like a PP, but all the dealers I talked to, say it lasts about 30% longer. They say they're fine for people who drive aggressively, but don't road race on the street....I.e. goo 100% balls out on the street. Who does that anyways???
I've used the Pilot Roads on my Falco and was satisfied with them. I got just over 8100 miles on them, and I could run them pretty hard in the turns, but then I don't run the Falco quite as fast in the turns as I do the MV (the MV feels so much more planted in curves). I only use the MV on weekends, and I'm not nearly as aggressive as some of my riding friends. Having said that, I'd prefer to stay with a somewhat softer compound on the MV than the Pilot Road. OTOH, I don't need a tire suitable for track riding like the SuperCorsa, so I'm hoping to find a happy medium.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
agusta01 said:
Pilot Powers are really so well matched to the F4, i suppose depends how much wet riding you do...if not much then the powers are hard to go by
So far I've managed to avoid riding the MV in the rain altogether, and I'd like to keep it that way.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I think the 2CT are really only a benefit on really hard street riding or for track days. The second compound feels like it helps edge grip over the standard pilot power when pushing hard but otherwise it's pretty similar. If you need the edge grip get them, if not don't bother IMO. There is a funny feeling coming off the edge and back onto the standard compound that feels like the tire is squishing to me..that I think must be the difference in compounds. Not positive, this is my first dual compound tire.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fazer,
Pilot Road is their sport touring tire - harder compound, better mileage than the Pilot Sport. Never tried the Sports on my Falco since I was always more interested in mileage on that bike. I put about 10,000 miles per year on it. That's a lot of tires since '00.

James,
Checking around for prices on the Mich's I didn't find any Pilot Sports for sale other than Ebay. Looks like the Pilot Powers are replacing all of them. Found one site that has the regular PP, and a few sites that have the PP-2CT. I'll probably try the 2CT since it's their current style. I've used dual compound tires before (Bridgestone maybe? Sorry, CRS!) and I cannot feel anything different in the way they behave.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
machine748s said:
My D208RR are 7000km old and I should get an extra 2000km with it. (No Highway...)
Really good tires (if you've got the right pressure on it (f:2.4kg, r:2.7kg).
I checked Dunlop's web site, and they don't list the 208 RR anymore. They have a 208 GP and a Sportmax GP. It's unclear which might be the longer wearing tire, however, they seem to be pushing the 208 GP as a track tire so my guess is that's the softer one???

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
fazer6 said:
What is the difference btwn the Pilot Road and the Pilot Sport?
Simply put, the Pilot Power, is the Pilot Sport replacement. Softer compound and different tread pattern, but it was the same class of tire.

They're still offered as leftovers (IMO atleast) as "Pilot HPX"...

The Pilot Roads:

They come in really wide 200 series sizes...you see them alot on Busas and ZX14's as they have a high tread life, but still grip really good and have awesome rain properties, as well as a high speed rating. Best tire for those that don't EXTREMELY aggressive on the streets....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts