MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a front tire off Ebay the other week. Got it cheap and that is the reason I purchased it. Was not thinking about the age of the tire until the other day. The tire is new and has never been mounted. By looking at the production date on it. The tire is 3 years old. If I only do 1 track day on it, and that will be at the Bubba event. Should this be of any concern. Will the grip in the corners be the same or will it not have the grip of a newer tire?

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
You dahamn well better not be cooking that hot at the Bub track day.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need great tires to compensate for lack of skill:stickpoke

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
If i was riding your bike on the track i wouldnt trust a 3 yr old tire.

Buy a new front and have peace of mind. Your confidence is in the front tire if your pushing it. I wouldnt risk it

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Andrew, you could just let Donsy bin it in Clavicle Corner....:jsm::smoking:

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
For the Bubba track day in 2011 we removed the OEM tyres off the F4CC. The tyres on that bike had less than 1,000 miles on them and showed almost no sign of wear. We replaced them with a known commodity: New Michelin Power Ones as I had used these a bit over here.
I didn't trust the 2006 tyres 5 years after they were placed on the bike for the kind of riding it was in for at Lil' Tally.

3 years - I don't know mate, on that bike I'd suggest brand new skins.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
It all depends on how they were actually stored which I figure you won't know. Freshly produced tires probably have a shelf life of about 4-5 years if stored correctly. Tires are being produced by the 10′s of thousands at a time and then sit in warehouses, so you barely get one that was produced yesterday anyway. I just checked the new tires I put on the MV and they are 1 year old.

I think your 3-year old tire is fine for running it on the street, as to whether I would put it on the track...well...I always say: $300 for a fresh set of tires are way cheaper than any yard sale and medical costs...

·
Registered
819 Posts
As long as it was not left out in the weather to rot then you'll be fine.

There was a blurb across the news wire on this recently. Someone was pushing for use by, or manufacture, dates to be posted on all tires and the tire companies, and/or the trade group, popo'd this idea saying its was arbitrary at best.

Michelin says tires over 10 years old should be considered for replacement, but they didn't say whether this was for new unused and properly stored tires, or rubber that is already on ones vehicle.

From the little i've looked into this it seems that a new tire not over 6 years from manufacture date its fine according to everyone offering an opinion. Although, ironically enough, nobody seems to say how long a tire in use should be ok to be used on the road.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I purchased a front tire off Ebay the other week. Got it cheap and that is the reason I purchased it. Was not thinking about the age of the tire until the other day. The tire is new and has never been mounted. By looking at the production date on it. The tire is 3 years old. If I only do 1 track day on it, and that will be at the Bubba event. Should this be of any concern. Will the grip in the corners be the same or will it not have the grip of a newer tire?
Not to be funny mate but you have spent a shit load of money on your bike and you are skimping on a set of tires. I dont get it.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
A friend who had a wildcard entry in the WSB at Phillip Island a few years ago did some research on tyres. He found that the tyres have a manufacture date on them (year and week), that they couldn't be legally sold by a dealer if they were more than 5 years old (Victoria, Australia) and that the rubber started losing it's grip surprisingly quickly. Something like 20 % loss withing the first 12 months and 50% after 5 years (not sure of the exact figures but these should give you an idea). Obviously, storage of the tyres does make a difference but then how do you know if they have been stored correctly or not?

Another friend was involved in high level drag racing in the States many years ago. The team he worked for imported tyres a few weeks before the event rather than buy them from the local supplier as the imported tyres were newer and hence had better grip. Sure they are talking 0.001 seconds but that may mean the difference between winning and losing. Whilst this is extreme it can still apply, at a lesser extent, to the tyres we purchase.

Finally, I seem to recall that Valentino used to get tyres flown in overnight by Michelin for the Moto GP. Granted the rubber compound may be marginally different to that of other riders but the tyres were also newer.

Personally, I now ask for tyres that are less than six months old for my road bike and choose Pirelli SC1 and SC2 for my track bike and either have them fitted before I go to the track or take them down if the existing tyres may not last the day (determined by grip and even wear and not by amount of tread left). I wouln't be inclined to buy a tyre for the track through e-bay unless I knew the seller personally especially if it is going on an exotic Italian.

Finally, if you are asking the suitability of the tyres then you already know the answer irrespective of the reality. Track riding is asmuch about your mental attitude as anything else and as you are questioning the tyre then you will be questioning the tyre on the day which will be detrimental to both your riding and riding pleasure.

·
Administrator
19,530 Posts
Finally, if you are asking the suitability of the tyres then you already know the answer irrespective of the reality. Track riding is asmuch about your mental attitude as anything else and as you are questioning the tyre then you will be questioning the tyre on the day which will be detrimental to both your riding and riding pleasure.
The tires may be just fine....you can feel the hardness of the rubber with your fingernail. I have run tires on the track that were serval years old before...that said, the quote above sums it up better than any advice I could give.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. I know the tire would be perfect for the street. Looks to have been stored correctly. I wonder how old the tires I have placed on in the past have been. We assume that the tires the dealer place on are new and not that old. This tire has about the same date code as the tire the dealer placed on 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I bought a new set of tires and they were already 1.5 years old.

My brand new AGV Corsa was also 1 year old when it arrived and that was just as it was released.

The person that was quoting % grip lost, please define how you measure grip. What is the unit and how was it tested?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
as rubber ages it loses some of the chemicals in it. The loss of chemicals results in the rubber hardening and the harder the rubber the less grip. An extreme case is 25 year old rubber stored outside feels like concrete and will also have numerous 'cracks' in it. The ageing process isn't instantaneous but occurs gradually over time and starts from the day the tyre is made. I can't verify the actual numbers but it seems reasonable that the greatest loss occurs in the first year (most chemicals) and decreases with time but it is still a loss.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will most likely just order a new set and sell off the front tire I have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts