MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I parked it at a parking garage. Started walking towards the clerk to get my ticket. And then I hear this noise behind me. Doh!

Bike is on it's side. I was in total shock.

These kickstands are crap!!!!!! Now I gotta pull the side panel off and get it to my body guy. $150

Mirror popped off but I think I can repair it myself.

Tiny scratches on the tank and tail. Not visible without really looking for it.

This sucks big time, but stuff happens I guess.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
This one time(at band camp) I went to start my 95 Duke while standing next to it and I (never leve it in gear) :banghead: the sucker leaped forward and fell on me. but it also landed on a rock that scrached it on the lower part of the faring. After a while you wont feel like an ass any longer. All.......in.......time.

G

·
0 Posts
LOL! That sucks! If its any constilation to you I just brought home my used '02 748R that I bought on Wednesday. And you know how it goes when you just bring home a new bike. You just hang out in the garage and stare at it. Well I leaned up against the bike to look at the instruments and the F'n Kick stand bracket broke and my Mint Condition 748R tipped over. I was like NOOOOOOO!!!!! It must have had a stress fracture in the kick stand bracket or something. Maybe Italian kickstands suck!! LOL! I dont know but luckily I got away with a couple minor scratches on the side fairing and that was about it. Im just going to buy some yellow touch up paint and touch it up and feather it in with some of the GLARE Polish I get for free from my work.
Dude that stuff works really good. Luckily for me my garage has a wooden floor otherwise the damage might have been ALOT worse.
But the bummer is now I have to wait 5 days for the new kickstand bracket to come in, but I also ordered a stronger after-market kick-stand from
cycle-cats. Oh well. I'm just glad it happened in my garage and not anywhere else. I'll tell you what I always used to lean against my Jap bikes with the kickstand down and that NEVER happened before, but with my new Ducati I will never do that again. Live and learn.
PS. Hey Turbo My dad is from Greatneck LI and his Aunt used to live on Highland Ave off of Belt Parkway in Jamaica. I was just there in July visiting my cousins who live in Northport near Huntington. Yankees Baby!!!! :yo:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeh sorry to hear about your mis-hap.

Hopefully I have done all my drops on my previous 97' ZX-6R. But it hurt then too :)
Though thanks to those experiences, I am fanatical now about where I park, how I stop, how I push it, how I lean on it, whos near it ;), how I wait at the traffic lights. :blah:

I once dropped it at traffic lights in the rain next to a bus full of people, the road was super slipery, my foot slipped. :flat: and I struggled to get my leg out ;) now its just a funny memory and a cool story

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Hi Turbo, I can only echo what the other guys have already said; when this happens you feel sick to your stomach and you just feel pretty helpless and annoyed :mad: :banghead: but it will pass and you will be determined to fix your bike up better than new. :moped: We all feel for you mate.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I feel for you turbo, it's all the hassle getting it back "right" again, but it does come good in time.
We were at a popular stopping point the other week and heard that horrible "crash" sound as someone's bike fell over into someone elses, turned out he had parked his bike facing downhill on the sidestand :jsm: :jerkoff: and it just rolled forward.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Turbo, mine fell over once. It happens.

It has a small scratch on the timing cover and the fairing, and the clutch lever and bar end got a little scratch. That's it.

I haven't fixed it. I kind of don't want to. It makes me feel even less like I have to baby the bike around. Not that I really did before...

For only $150 I'd be tempted to fix the fairing though. I could proabaly use a black sharpie to "fix" the lever and bar end.

Ahh. Maybe somewhere in the future it will get done.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Turbo,
So sorry about your mishap. If you own motorcycles and they've never gone over, you're either ridiculously lucky or haven't had them long enough. Hope she's good as new real soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my sympathy

It sucks, but it happens.

When I was teenager, I managed to crash my pride and joy, a 1978 Suzuki GS1000, only a year old at the time. I was going along at a good clip (50ish) when I slid on gravel. Dazed and confused, my first concern was for my bike. "Sure hope it's not too scratched up." Needless to say, "scratched" was not the word for the wreckage.

We all get pretty emotionally involved with our bikes. I sympathize.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Turbo, at least you had the sidestand down. Years ago I arrived home, got off my bike, and walked away completely forgetting to put the sidestand down. 5 seconds...CRASH. Man I felt stupid.

As an aside, my brother in law is a HUGE Porsche affecianado. Always has to have the latest and greatest. But, as soon as he gets home with his new car, he goes out with a small hammer and puts a dent in it so that when something does happen in the future, as always happens, he isnt pissed off because HE was the first one to cause an imperfection. Weird, but it works for him and makes some sense - having complete control over the first ding.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for the consolation. I really feel much better.

To be honest I guess this mishap kind of puts things in perspective. I really need to be riding this thing for what it's worth instead of babying it. But since it's my street bike and my new 748 is my beater, I kind of want to keep the MV looking pristine for when I feel like posing. lol

I ended up repairing the RH mirror. The spiked cylinders with the threads popped right back inside of the mirror and I was able to splice the wiring. The blinker works fine and I insulated the two blue wires with Plumbers tape since I did not have electric tape on hand. Worked like a charm. The side panel has a few scratches and a small dent/crack by where the mounting holes are which can be fixed by my body guy. I think I'm gonna go ahead and spend the $100 or so just for my piece of mind.

I really can't explain how it went down. I mean, the side stand was down and the bike was secure as I was walking away from it. Definitely weird.

I'll definitely be picking up some shark skinz this winter for it and will be doing some track days and making movies next season. :yo: Now that I've got the front end sorted, I'm coming to grips with the bike.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's good to know that I'm not the only tw*t that does this. June 30th 2006, ready to got to Donington Park for the first day of practice for the British Moto GP. 3 bikes parked on the drive ready to go, my brother-in-law borrowing my CBR600RR, me on my F4s750 and my son on his Gixxer. The drive has a tiny fall - enough to shed rainfall. Bikes started, bro-in-law has problem with helmet strap (borrowed from me) - I get off and help, and my beloved, seconds later, falls on to the Honda. Broken screen, broken clutch lever, scratched wing mirror, scratched fairing, gear change bent, seat cowel hits the rear axle of the Honda and gets two deep scratches 1/2" wide, and tank hits Honda's engine cover pushing it in about 3/4" acoss the filler and. Worst of all apart from the £1300 bill, 9 WEEKS to get it repaired - mostly waiting for parts and I still haven't got the stock screen! An expensive lesson, so ...
1) Always pull the bike backwards after putting the stand down,
2) Never leave the engine running when you get off - even for seconds !!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Rick GM said:
It's good to know that I'm not the only tw*t that does this. June 30th 2006, ready to got to Donington Park for the first day of practice for the British Moto GP. 3 bikes parked on the drive ready to go, my brother-in-law borrowing my CBR600RR, me on my F4s750 and my son on his Gixxer. The drive has a tiny fall - enough to shed rainfall. Bikes started, bro-in-law has problem with helmet strap (borrowed from me) - I get off and help, and my beloved, seconds later, falls on to the Honda. Broken screen, broken clutch lever, scratched wing mirror, scratched fairing, gear change bent, seat cowel hits the rear axle of the Honda and gets two deep scratches 1/2" wide, and tank hits Honda's engine cover pushing it in about 3/4" acoss the filler and. Worst of all apart from the £1300 bill, 9 WEEKS to get it repaired - mostly waiting for parts and I still haven't got the stock screen! An expensive lesson, so ...
1) Always pull the bike backwards after putting the stand down,
2) Never leave the engine running when you get off - even for seconds !!!
:) heres some more points
3) Leave it in gear.
4) Not facing down a too steep a slope.
5) Check if the stand is on solid ground

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Did the stand sink into the ground? The foot is pretty small. I think on the newer bikes it's bigger, but it's still not very big.

I carry around a 2x3" or so piece of plywood for the sidestand if I park somewhere.

But I never leave the bike on the sidestand otherwise, it's always on the rear stand at the house. I've heard of the sidestand becoming weak and breaking...

·
Registered
284 Posts
My same exact fear, compared to my Yamaha the F4 has more of a lean angle when on the sidestand, is there any mod to this, optional side stand to prevent this sort of mishap.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
acruhl said:
Did the stand sink into the ground? The foot is pretty small. I think on the newer bikes it's bigger, but it's still not very big.

I carry around a 2x3" or so piece of plywood for the sidestand if I park somewhere.

But I never leave the bike on the sidestand otherwise, it's always on the rear stand at the house. I've heard of the sidestand becoming weak and breaking...
I thought of a 2x3" piece or something like that, the problem with the "R" with it's 190/55 profile rear tyre, or I suppose any MV that has it's rear lifted is it needs to be 2x3x2" thick! probabaly mean the wife would need to meet me where I stop and bring the wood with her :laughing:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts