MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just noticed two rather small bumps on my Brutale 800 gas tank I have never seen before. I'm always careful not to spill gas on the tank when fueling so I don't think it's anything I have done. Attached are two photos. I know they're small but I wonder if this might be the start of something worse?

I've heard some folks have had their tanks deform because of ethanol in our U.S. gas.

Also, I have the latest map and my sprag clutch was replaced last year but today I couldn't start the engine after 3 tries. It started on the 4th try. In addition, my kickstand light sometimes comes on when riding. It doesn't kill the engine, the light just come on for a few seconds. The dealer replaced my kickstand switch last year. Weird stuff!

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
if u sure you have not seen them before then I would say its tank deforming, but not 100% sure because the paint itself could be bubbling due to contamination prior to painting. Push down on it to see if there is air pocket, if not then its the tank deforming.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if u sure you have not seen them before then I would say its tank deforming, but not 100% sure because the paint itself could be bubbling due to contamination prior to painting. Push down on it to see if there is air pocket, if not then its the tank deforming.
Oh man....it doesn't push down. I'm so bummed. The bike isn't a year old. I assume once it's started it will only get worse? I plan on keeping the bike a long time.

How has MV been handling these problems? Putting a new gas tank on won't guarantee a fix. Have they been coating them?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Oh man....it doesn't push down. I'm so bummed. The bike isn't a year old. I assume once it's started it will only get worse? I plan on keeping the bike a long time.

How has MV been handling these problems? Putting a new gas tank on won't guarantee a fix. Have they been coating them?
I'm glad you brought this up. I noticed a similar bump forming on my 2011 1090RR. MV already replaced my tank once because it expanded from the fuel, we suspect. They never coated the new replacement tank for me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They won't coat it, you have to do it yourself, or have it done.
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=88937
Wouldn't it be easier if MV just designed a tank with the proper liner (steel) to resist ethanol? This doesn't make sense to just replace a tank if it's going to happen again.

I've sealed tanks before and just about everyone I talk to say the sealant will eventually break down over time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a B300 in the same color as you do and my tank started deforming. Took it to the dealer and they are warrantying it. I was told that MV is aware of the issue and is making replacement tanks that will not deform again. Downside is that since it's a new process they're on backorder. I've been waiting three weeks for mine.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier if MV just designed a tank with the proper liner (steel) to resist ethanol? This doesn't make sense to just replace a tank if it's going to happen again.

I've sealed tanks before and just about everyone I talk to say the sealant will eventually break down over time.
I know mate, that's why I moved your thread to this section. Guys have been having this issue since the Y10 F4's came out, but funny enough, the pre10 Brutale's plastic tanks seem to hold up much better.

Metal would be great, that's what I would do if it where my company.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I contacted MV about my tank, there replacing it now for the second time! Not too much trouble either, great company that MV Agusta....

·
Registered
210 Posts
This has been covered before a bunch, but it's not just MV that has problems with their plastic tanks.

My Ducati GT1000 got two new tanks in the five years I owned it. I had the second replacement professionally sealed and for the short time I had it after, it still looked fine.

My Aprilia RSVR tank is swelling a little, and has a couple of bumps that have formed exactly like the ones in your photos.

My Guzzi 1200 Sport has bumps in the tank too. The (slightly) better news is that they have been there for a couple of years and have not gotten worse.

Ethanol in our gasoline doesn't save a damned thing as regards the environment. It's telling that our local small airports do not sell it, and all of the local marinas have gone back to ethanol free gas. I'm hoping someday they'll rid it from our cars too.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts