MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I finally realized, after three years of MV ownership, that the only way this bike is going to run right is if I feed her a Microtec M226 (everything below 5k is rubbish). Does anyone know if Chris is still available? I emailed him a few days ago.

Current Setup:

2010 Brutale 1090RR
Ferracci race mapped ECU
Arrow Collectors, Midpipe and GP can
Gutted Airbox

10488167_10153395626664066_9003482345131853212_n.jpg

Thanks!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How come the Ferracci doesn't work? Just curious. I have a Microtec myself.

Cheers

Deano
The former owner had a Ferracci Ti system installed. Not sure if it ran better with that? All I know is that performance below 5k is horribly surgy, very on/off with a flat spot around 4500. I barely ride the thing anymore because of it. Most of my seat time is spent on the Diavel, which I've remapped with a Tuneboy (can't say enough good things about TB).

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
You should have sent your ECU to Rob at Rob's Dyno in Gardner, MA. He could have dropped my 1090RR map into your unit. You'd love it.

The Microtec, and Chris will certainly sort you out now.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should have sent your ECU to Rob at Rob's Dyno in Gardner, MA. He could have dropped my 1090RR map into your unit. You'd love it.

Much appreciated SS.

I wanted the quickshifter and the ability to switch maps, etc. That said, how much does Rob charge for something like what you mentioned?

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
I think it's $125, but you could contact him here: http://www.robsdyno.com/

It's my 312R featured on his home page...

·
Registered
139 Posts
guys what benefits/improvements can you expect with the Microtech? and which is the best model for a F4 Ago?

thank you

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have the same bike (2011) and exhaust. Feracci tuned it after the exhaust install and it runs perfect.I also run a a stock air filter. I noticed that you have a gutted air box, maybe that's part of your issue with the current map? The Microtec should make,it run well, but I don't think it's necessary .

·
Administrator
18,812 Posts
You know, a lot of people don't understand the dynamics of the air box design.....there is actually engine tuning involved. Air flow into and through the airbox is a part of the total flow dynamics, right through the valves, combustion chamber and out the exhaust.

Maybe you should put the guts back in? Haven't studied the newer air box but that mod could be upsetting the tuning at lower air flow speeds.....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The guy that owned it before me had a Ferracci ti system installed, gutted the airbox, had ferracci remap the ecu, disconnect flapper valve. Before he sold it to the dealer I bought it from, he put the stock headers back on with stock cans. When I bought it, I had no idea any of this had been done - the dealer didn't say anything and I was too stupid to notice the disconnected flapper.

Now I was stuck with a race mapped ecu, gutted airbox and stock exhaust. I figured by installing an arrow full system, it might bring things back in line, but that didnt seem to help.

Thats why Im at the point of where I'd rather go Microtec and have something I can play with maps-wise, instead of having to rely on someone else to dyno it and build a map I might or might not be happy with and end up paying the same amount of money. I also wanted a quickshifter.

I remapped my Diavel with a Tuneboy and have had great luck with shared maps. I don't expect 100% perfect, but in the end, as Tuneboy adds features (launch control added recently), my bike suddenly becomes more useful. It sounds like Chris @ Xbikes has maps to match the system, for which I was hopeful would work a lot better than the current setup.

My other option is to wait months to bring the bike to Rob's Dyno service (he's always backed up) for a custom mapping, but that could easily cost almost as much as a Microtec from what I've heard. Also - if I don't like the map Rob creates, I have my doubts as to whether he would spend the time tweaking various parts of the map to my satisfaction, whereas from what I've heard of Chris, he will spend the time working over the phone and tweaking as necessary.

I've been so close to selling this thing because I never ride it. I took a Hypermotard for a demo the other day and had a blast - I could easily see trading this bike in towards one, but I'd rather have a Hyper in addition to the MV. I've visited both the MV and Ducati factories and love the design/character of both brands. Half my family was born in Italy. Enough reasons to want to keep her around.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The Microtec is good and Chris is helpful. But be aware you will probably need a good tuner especially given the gutted air-box etc. I've played around with heaps of maps and have mine running good with both a full arrow and HP Corse system. However it took having a good map as a base to start with. I went through a few that weren't, especially the original fucked up by a local tuner. When you get it right it's a completely different bike, [email protected]*&$%! awesome.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'd get that whole air box issue sorted first, then get to the tuning.

I guess you can try tuning it he way it is, but I'd be afraid of going through more trial and error. Whoever worked on that bike before you had no idea what they were doing, maybe that's why it got sold in the first place.

There's a couple air boxes , for your bike, on eBay right now.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. Does anyone know if the 2014 airbox fits the 2010? Or better yet, which years are compatible with my 2010 airbox?

Sounds like a good idea to revert that back to stock as a starting point.

Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Hey chuck, what system did/do you have installed on the 1090? Is it a pretty close match to my current setup? I left a voicemail with Rob's about an hour ago.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
I have the MV Corse stubby set up...Full system in titanium.

010s.jpg

011s.jpg

012s.jpg

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hah! If have to imagine your map might actually work fairly well. I will definitely rip my ECU out and send it to Rob. Hopefully turn around is quick. Thanks for sharing!

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
Getting the ECU out is the toughest part....

·
Registered
465 Posts
Looks like an aftermarket , free flowing filter in there too? Between the butcher job in the air box, filter and free flowing exhaust You already know the problem is right in front of you. It's probably running real lean like that, and that's bad.

I run the Tamburini exhaust,made by Arrow, and it's real similar to yours and the stock air filter. I didn't see any advantage to adding the free flowing air filter, so I left that alone. Ferracci dynoed and tuned after the install, runs perfect.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts