MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My chain and sprocket change seemed successful expect one thing…

There is a variation in the chain slack when I rotate my wheel. (A tight spot)

I have scoured the manual and forum for some indication of what would be considered acceptable but the manual just says “virtually the same” referring to the 112mm measurment.

I didn’t expect any tight spots on a brand new chain and sprockets so I tensioned it without checking for any! Now I’m concerned I could have ran it tight and worsened it/caused damage! I re-adjusted the tension as soon as I realised there was a tight spot after about a 7 mile ride.

I attach links to images below next to my 112mm cardboard cut out. The discrepancy is about 8mm from tightest to loosest section.

Im not convinced its just the chain as the same link can have difference variations depending on which revolution it appears when checking.

- Is this within tolerance for a new chain and sprockets?
- If not, what would you suggest?
- Is this just another quirk of this beautiful beast!

Photos attached.

Bike is 2013 Brutale 800 16000 miles.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Some of the 8mm variance will be in the measuring system you've adopted - uncalibrated cardboard :smile2:. You'd better hope that Noel does not see that......

The Chain will most likely not be the issue.
To properly diagnose a stretched chain I would suggest raising the rear wheel with a stand and using a metal ruler or vernier caliper to take measurements, at least 6 as you rotate the chain through a full revolution.

Get back to us.

·
Registered
14,677 Posts
?

In one revolution of the wheel how many times does the chain get tight?
If it's only once it's the rear sprocket, 2 1/2 to 3 times it's the front
Measure it like this with a vernier caliper:wink2:
Is there side or radial play in the cush drive?

It's a new chain and sprockets Dave

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,850 Posts
Now I am curious....

The manual shows a 116mm dimension for chain adjustment in the manual for an 800 Brutale. MV has been known for manual discrepancies, but I would err to the loose side.

I am also assuming you have the bike vertical on a stand or you have a friend helping.

The chain variance of that much would imply that the rear sprocket has an issue. Either it is installed incorrectly, or it has a manufacturing defect that has it in a non-concentric alignment on the carrier.

Is it a stock sprocket, or did you buy an aftermarket unit? There was one other gentleman in the forum who bought a sprocket that was manufactured incorrectly and it exhibited similar symptoms.

1.jpg

As for the debate on Venier versus vernier versus dial versus cardboard, as long as you are accurate with the initial measurement, and your execution of rock-scissors-paper is correct, you now have a nice portable tool.

:smoking:

Reactions: esq'z me

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's funny you should say that because Noel once went out with Marlene Dietrich.

And I have no idea what a Venier caliber is but I assume it outperforms cardboard.

Venier scale as applied to calipers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernier_scale

Marlene Dietrich? I didn't know he had a taste for the vintage rides. From his pic' postings I would assume he was into the modern stuff only.

·
Super Moderator
22,850 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Did you get the correct pitch master link? I would specifically measure the master link or check its stamping for pitch and make sure its the same as the rest of the chain. I'd do what the others are saying though since you also say the same link will show a different amount of slack on a different rotation.

·
Registered
14,677 Posts
?

Did you get the correct pitch master link? I would specifically measure the master link or check its stamping for pitch
WTF???
The pitches vary by 1/8"......
With the wrong master link the chain won't even go on the sprocket
:wink2:

·
Registered
14,677 Posts
?

112mm is ~4.5".

Knurl's advice is spot on. Except use a dial caliper like he has. The Venier caliper went out with the slide-rule.
Wrong......
112 mm =4.409".......If you had a vernier caliper you'd instantly know that>:)

dial inch on top
metric/inch vernier in the middle (It stays on my desk)
dial metric on bottom
The 2 dial calipers stay in the workshop

Attachments

·
Registered
14,677 Posts
?

Marlene Dietrich? I didn't know he had a taste for the vintage rides. From his pic' postings I would assume he was into the modern stuff only.
No Marlene Dietrich.......
The oldest woman I dated or lived with was Jeannie, a grandmother at 42 :x
Last live in was Alexis, she was 32, I was in my mid 60s

This is Jeannie

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,850 Posts
WTF???

Sure it will....but the chain will get wicked tight when that master link gets to the sprocket.>:)

Chain is "on"

1.jpg

Now attaching "bad" master": (for illustrative purposes only...no chain or sprockets were harmed in the performance of this maintenance.)

2.jpg

Now, roll that bike! :later:

For those who will say this can't be done...I did it to a friend's bike when I got the masters that I had mixed up....ask Carlos (Kreative). Lucky for me , and Carlos, I have a practice of checking my work. Yes, it was a problem when that link got to the sprockit.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wrong......
112 mm =4.409".......If you had a vernier caliper you'd instantly know that>:)

dial inch on top
metric/inch vernier in the middle (It stays on my desk)
dial metric on bottom
The 2 dial calipers stay in the workshop

I stand corrected. I ride a a Dragster and the spec of 116mm is ~4.5". In any case, a little too lose is better than too tight. At least for drive chains.

·
Registered
565 Posts
True.

However I'm suggesting the master link used may have been wrong between the 520, 525 and 530 chains which all have the same "pitch" but vary in width.

If someone went with a master link outside of those three then yes it wouldn't even turn and varies by 1/8". A mismatch within those could work but result in very out of spec chain movement.

My wording could have been more precise.

WTF???

·
Registered
14,677 Posts
?

airjawed;
Bet you can't rivet a 525 chain with a 520 master link......without leaving the O-rings out
Likewise a 530 master link would look stupid on a 525 chain.......

Still waiting for the OP to say how many times the chain gets tight in 1 rotation of the wheel :wink2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to everyone for replies. I’m
Assuming you will all get a notification of this reply rather than replying individually?

first of all, the cardboard has been upgraded haha! I marked these lines with digital callipers so they are accurate. After cleaning the chain again and a run out with a pillion. (Carefully) the discrepancy is now around 5 - 6mm (see attached) is this within tolerance and safe to use do you think? I mean tight spots occur anyway don’t they through regular usage.

Silentservice - you are correct, I need to do it to 116mm don’t know how I got 112mm - great spot and I will correct this.

Things ruled out so far:

- I set up a cable tie to meet my front sprocket teeth and turned the wheel, it was dead on. I think I can rule out the output shaft and front sprocket. (See attached screen shot of the slow mo video I did) also DB link below post to view the vid.

- For the rear I tried to use the calliper method but can’t get enough of an accurate reading so will try to get a cable tie or something to touch the front teeth between the chain and roll the wheel around to see if there is a misalignment.

- I do have radial play on the Cush drive.I understand this to be normal. (Talking mm)
These were replaced 200 miles ago at MV dealer and he also gave the rear hub a strip and re-grease. It got the okay.

- This video shows it running on the stand. Is this normal for the chain to bounce a bit like that?

Below is a link to the Dropbox file with the photos and vid. (Download top right for full quality) hopefully it will work, let me know if not.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rsvesnwzf0hm974/AAAj5i-iQiazHJ98sM8U3PUfa?dl=0

Thanks again for all your help!

Dan

·
Registered
565 Posts
You got the 112 mm number because that is what the swingarm sticker says.

Since the manual shows it as 116 I would go with 116 though because while riding and with suspension compressed the chain will tighten.

Run the chain loose. You should also check the slack. Slack should always be present by hand... maybe 1-1.5 inches.

·
Super Moderator
22,850 Posts
You should also check the slack. Slack should always be present by hand... maybe 1-1.5 inches.
What in the world are you talking about here?

Reactions: theknurl
1 - 20 of 29 Posts