MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, for us with 750's we've learned to live with the thumb pinch issue. But if we could solve it easily we would. What would be any of your thoughts or technical advice on heating the intake runner with a hot air heat gun and getting it soft. Then with a properly shaped template push thumb indents into the runner. It seems like less than an inch deep and 2 inches long would be all that is needed.
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Not a 750 owner but you need to determine if the material is a thermoplastic or thermoset to if this is even possible. A thermoplastic will soften and become pliable when heated, a thermoset will not and heating may cause irreversible damage to the material, most likely making it brittle. Even when heating a thermoplastic, you must be careful to do it slowly so it can still hold its shape. Final point, some thermoplastics require a larger input of energy (heat) that can damage the surrounding parts. Don't use a hot air gun, as it will heat everything around the area. Use an electric filament heat source that can be controlled by adjusting the current and applied locally to the desired heating area. Start low and slowly build up the heat. Be careful and be prepared to replace that part. Heat a needle or a pin red hot with a propane torch and try to gently push it through the material (that is not visible and not important if there is a pin hole in it). If it can be pushed through, you are most likely working with a thermoplastic. It it wont push through with gentle pressure, I would give up.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sir, thank you! Obviously you know your plastic and that`s exactly the kind of reponse I was looking for!
Not a 750 owner but you need to determine if the material is a thermoplastic or thermoset to if this is even possible. A thermoplastic will soften and become pliable when heated, a thermoset will not and heating may cause irreversible damage to the material, most likely making it brittle. Even when heating a thermoplastic, you must be careful to do it slowly so it can still hold its shape. Final point, some thermoplastics require a larger input of energy (heat) that can damage the surrounding parts. Don't use a hot air gun, as it will heat everything around the area. Use an electric filament heat source that can be controlled by adjusting the current and applied locally to the desired heating area. Start low and slowly build up the heat. Be careful and be prepared to replace that part. Heat a needle or a pin red hot with a propane torch and try to gently push it through the material (that is not visible and not important if there is a pin hole in it). If it can be pushed through, you are most likely working with a thermoplastic. It it wont push through with gentle pressure, I would give up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Having owned both the 750 and the 1000 I know the problem you are talking about with the 750. On the 1000 the clip ons are raised slightly. Would it be possible to put a set of 1000 bars on to the 750. I'm not sure but I think the fork diameters are the same. You should be able to pick up a set on ebay easily enough.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you too. I`ll check into that also!
Having owned both the 750 and the 1000 I know the problem you are talking about with the 750. On the 1000 the clip ons are raised slightly. Would it be possible to put a set of 1000 bars on to the 750. I'm not sure but I think the fork diameters are the same. You should be able to pick up a set on ebay easily enough.

·
Registered
271 Posts
carbon intake covers

greetings.

I purchased my 750 2nd hand.

the previous owner had put carbon fibre air intake COVERS on to the air intake runners.

these are slightly depressed and give clearance for your thumbs.

they are only a top cover to the runner , not a complete substitute item.

dont know where he got them , didnt ask but they must be available out there somewhere.
sniff around.............

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Take the easy route...cut off your thumbs!:stickpoke

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
3 options:

1. old casoli carbon fibre covers where you actually cut the tops off the intakes and added the covers. :jsm:
2. use 1000 clip-ons...they do work and raise bar height
3. a trick someone posted years ago was to turn clip ons clamps upside down (750 clamps/tubes are separate). can't remember whether you have to switch sides or not.

obviously, #3 costs nothing and could be worth a try first then proceed to 2. step 1 is going to be your toughest bet unless casoli has an arm still in business somewhere.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or just live with it....it`s not that bad, just kind of an irritation. Thanks for all your suggestions!

·
Living the Dream
2,755 Posts
You could do what i did on one side, drop the bike from standing, allowing the necessary parts to bend upward, allowing for more room for your thumb!! It is free, and all you have to be able to do is pick the bike back up when you are finished.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was that with the handlebars turned to the side your dropped it on or away....lol
You could do what i did on one side, drop the bike from standing, allowing the necessary parts to bend upward, allowing for more room for your thumb!! It is free, and all you have to be able to do is pick the bike back up when you are finished.

·
Registered
50 Posts
On my 750 I replaced the OEM clip-ons with Fast by Ferracchi (FBF) clamps that raised the OEM bars to eliminate the pinch problem (mostly) and provides a more comfortable riding position. I have since replaced the FBF and OEM tubes with the later model F4 1000 bars to facilitate mounting Moto Course billet hydraulic reservoirs on Brembo levers. If you're interested in the FBF clamps PM me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts