MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well yesterday I found a patch of black ice on a round-a-bout the hard way with the end result being my Brutale 1090 and I going for a slide down the road into oncoming traffic. Absolutely nothing I could do as it was during the transition to upright while applying throttle - witnesses say I actually hit perpendicular to the direction of traffic before I laid her down. Definitely says something about the balance of the bike! Even the cops, said there was nothing that could be done and one felt so bad for me he lodged the insurance claim on my behalf then hung around to make sure it got onto a tow truck safely.

Fortunately the traffic missed me and assistance was rendered prior to the ambulance taking me off to hospital. Thank god the gear worked as I got off with only a few sprains, grazes and massive bruising. For a while there we thought I'd fractured three vertebrae in the lower back - look slike its just massive soft tissue damage with a bruise from my shoulder blades to my ass. Still haven't seen what state the bike is in though as due to the back injury I was immobilised pretty early and I had other things on my mind at the time.

So lessons for those out there:
1. Winter - watch for black ice even when the weather is bright and sunny.
2. All the gear all the time. A simple urban commute could have had a very different outcome.
3. Thank god for insurance and agreed value when you mod a bike!

I'll keep you guys in the loop on the condition of the bike and the insurance outcome. Any advice on what I should go over with a fine tooth comb when getting the insurance assessor to check the bike?

Keep it sticky side down!

Troz

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Jesus, good to here you came out of that. Hit black ice myself out of a turn, but luckily stayed up, sketchy stuff.

Best of luck with the recovery and claim. Glad the gear did it's job.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Ouch! Good to hear no major damage to you.

I will be surprised if they don't write it off. It's pretty hard to miss the oil gallery on the motor and the frame where the engine mounts on the side when you go for a slide.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Bugger , bum and blast it. Sorry to hear of your prang but at least you still have all the big bits attached, Got a ute in Sydney so if you need your bike picked up or whatever let me know. Riding gear (good riding gear) is worth it`s weight in gold. Heal well,

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Ouch, get well soon! I hate black ice, had a few run ins with it back in the UK, one of the many positives of living here near the coast is we very rarely get a frost let alone anything worse.

·
Super Moderator
21,464 Posts
Sorry about the bad luck Troz! Glad to hear about your good luck....
You heal. Bikes can be replaced.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Great that you are pretty much okay.
To cold this time of year to be out on the bike.
Less than 15 degrees and I'm not going anywhere.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident, hope your back comes right soon. Its been pretty cold here in Canberra lately, and it certainly keeps you on your toes - starting later in the morning is part of my strategy over winter but still pretty weary about cold tyres and cold roads.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Ouch...been there Troz. Very glad to hear that you're in pretty much un-damaged, it doesn't take much to start busting bones. It sounds like your recovery is going to be much faster that your Brute :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts