MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night on a ride home I came up behind someone making a right turn and closed off the throttle while remaining in 1st gear to slow down and wait for them to turn. After they turned I rolled on the throttle and nothing happened.

The engine sounded a little laboured (almost like throttles opening but no extra fuel being added), but didn't stall or kick or do anything other than not provide power.

I blipped the throttle a couple of times and then it came back to life.

This happened again a couple kms later, but then was fine for the last dozen kms home.

The engine has seemed to run fine for me up until this, no stalling, no hesitation.

Is this familiar to anyone?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've had it happen a handful of times in the 4,000 kms that are on my F4. Hasn't been enough to really worry about it for me. Twice within a few kilometers might be something to worry about though, I'd keep riding and see if it continues to happen. If it does, take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spent an hour riding it about town, stop and go, to try and recreate it. But couldn't.

Then as I pulled on to the street in front of my house it happened again.

I wouldn't like this very much if I trying to get into traffic quickly.

·
Registered
486 Posts
That would drive me insane
What if your leant over in a low - mid speed turn you roll on and nothing.:jsm:
Even if it only did it round town I couldn't enter a corner with confidence.
And without confidence in the machine, it's worthless

Just my 2c

·
Registered
375 Posts
Probably a malfonction of the hand throttle coil, changed on warranty, is a "electric" device, not very secure in certain conditions(that's explains why they fill a TC to avoid over gazing)

·
Registered
450 Posts
This is starting to piss me off. When I am gassing it and the acceleration cuts the bikes dumps me forward and almost off the bike because I am tucked and over the tank expecting the bike to want to throw me back not forwards. Several times now I have been starring at my headlight!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi

I had this happen once only on my 2013 F4 1000RR. The bike was serviced soon after and the software upgraded and the problem hasn't reoccurred in 4,000km since.

I recall that an upgraded throttle assembly was available for the three cylinder bikes. I found several threads on the issue at the time it arose on my bike.

·
Registered
216 Posts
happens a lot to me on my brute 800... usually between 4-5k rpms and typically in 4th gear

i wish i knew

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Figured out the conditions, now I need a solution.

The more I've ridden, the more I'm noticing this. Sometimes it's very momentary, almost unnoticeable, other times its drastic as when nothing happens and I keep rolling on the throttle till after about a second the engine decides to deliver all its power right now, two stroke style.

I've spent hours driving around trying to figure this out as its happened on so many occasions, and many of those are embarrasing, like I'm a newbie rider on a scooter.

But it hasn't been something I could reliably reproduce until yesterday.

The conditions have to be just right. A slow gentle sharp corner, like turning at a light, or a stop sign, or coming out of my driveway.

The turn has to be downhill with me leaning into it a bit. If I take the corner slow enough to keep the bike upright, everything is fine.

The throttle in the corner has to be slow, not accelerating until the corner is completed. If I go into the corner aggressively, the engine does what I ask.

Windy back roads or highways are never a problem. This problem has never happened when the corner is uphill, only downhill, even a slight downhill.

It's never happened on a straight road, uphill or down.

The tank can be full or empty of fuel, it doesn't seem to matter. The engine can be hot or cold.

I've now parked the bike for the winter and may not get it to the dealership till next spring. Till then, anyone have any ideas what might cause this given these conditions?

·
Super Moderator
22,736 Posts
Left, or right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good question, I've been able to reliably reproduce it on left turns. It has happened on right turns, but that has been more difficult to reproduce.

·
Super Moderator
22,736 Posts
I think I would be checking the Tip-Over sensor for sound mounting and operation. It almost sounds like it is momentarily actuating depending on acceleration and lean and centrifugal force.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Good question, I've been able to reliably reproduce it on left turns. It has happened on right turns, but that has been more difficult to reproduce.
Throttle bodies, causing air under certain conditions, ask Jono or look up his experience. It's worth checking them.

I think I would be checking the Tip-Over sensor for sound mounting and operation. It almost sounds like it is momentarily actuating depending on acceleration and lean and centrifugal force.
Chuck, if the tip-over was activated, it has to be reset to restart the bike, ignition on/off or start switch at the least.
However, not sure if these bikes have a gyro as on the F4's, some of them came loose and caused similar problems.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
A number of these bikes have also suffered from faulty throttle assemblies, mine also.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went through Jono's post and found the one where he talked about an air leak on his intake manifold. This winter I'll have to look into that.

I've mentioned the issue to my dealer but he said he has not heard of this issue before, but he is also a low volume dealer and I believe their experience with Agusta's is low.

I did hook my vacuum gauges to the intake a couple of weeks ago and found all three cyclinders pulling the same amount of air.

Thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
As if by magic I was just about to create a new thread. Got my bike back yesterday after a couple of weeks in the dealers. They found the throttle was sending inconsistent voltages between closed and 75% open. They also found an air leak at the exhaust manifold so I have a new gasket. There's been a redesign since mine was made.

Being good guys (Moto Forza Italia at Silverstone) they took the plugs out and checked them and found they were evenly coloured so we reckon the inlet is OK. They also compression tested it and they were all spot on.

It used to dive hard on a nearly closed throttle and now it's smooth and natural. It used to hesitate going from closed to open throttle - you were never sure what you'd get. Now it's fine. Sometimes you'd ask for a bit more throttle and get nothing - sometimes you'd get a wheelie. Now it's all wheelies :). And they're longer and higher.

When I first got it back it seemed a bit fluffly but I reckon the ECU might have been learning the new inputs. After 20 miles I couldn't stop screaming it. It rides through town fine - no jerky learner stuff but I still have to remember not to slip the clutch all the time - doesn't need it.

Oh and Moto Forza Italia couldn't get a new throttle in a reasonable time so they took one off a new bike in their stock and put it on mine. Those of you who complain about your dealer service you know where to go....

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I went through Jono's post and found the one where he talked about an air leak on his intake manifold. This winter I'll have to look into that.

I've mentioned the issue to my dealer but he said he has not heard of this issue before, but he is also a low volume dealer and I believe their experience with Agusta's is low.

I did hook my vacuum gauges to the intake a couple of weeks ago and found all three cyclinders pulling the same amount of air.

Thanks for everyones input.
All MV Dealers in Canada are “low volume”! If you’re guy hasn’t heard of the problems with the 3-cylinder models that’s not entirely his fault. I feel MV Agusta Italy and here in Canada are not doing near enough to help the techs out with known issues, (and their proper fixes).
Tell your service guy to read this forum, I think he’ll learn a few things.

If he’s still not sure have him call Joey, the service manager at Motor Sports World in Ottawa toll free 1-888-828-9679 Have him ask Joey about what all they found wrong with my F3, (after 23 months of complaining). :ahhh:

You could do a search on my name but I’m afraid you’d spend days reading through 2 years worth of rants, highs and lows. However, my story is all documented here on this forum if anyone is interested. :popcorn:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts