MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode away from my parking spot at work and after about 100 ft the bike dropped to idle and the throttle stopped responding. No matter how far I twisted the bike stayed at idle. I pulled off into a parking spot, got a "Gas position" error and "stop engine" message and I immediately shut the bike off. Attempted to restart the bike after a couple minutes. Diagnostics were fine, bike tested OK. Bike started right up but just idled, no throttle response. Repeated this a few more times before the throttle started working again. Anyone else have this issue?

Rode it straight to my dealer and of course couldn't duplicate the problem for them. He mentioned something about a Rivale throttle assembly, but when I called back a couple days later he said it was probably just a mapping issue. Thoughts?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine hasn't been that severe but there are times when going about 40-50mph and I'll give it gas and nothing happens. My dealer says it's probably a problem with the throttle body.

I too thought it was a mapping issue but my dealer said there's no way the mapping can become corrupt.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Same problem on my F4 last summer. Shipped it back to the dealer for winter, just talked to them last week about how they fixed it.

First, they swapped my ecu with a known working one, it ran fine, therefore proving it was a software issue.

Next, they updated my ecu with the new software from MV, and the problems vanished.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had this about 6 months ago on my B3 800, error came up a few times with no throttle response, key off, key on, and would go away as quick as it came.
I traced the cable from the throttle to a connector under the right hand air intake adjacent the tank. Unplugged it, gave it a spray, put back together and never a problem since, touch wood.
Hope this helps as it worked for me.

:brutale:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I have been having the exact same issue as you, random "stop eng gas position" messages with flashing malfunction orange light on many occasions.

Having now seen Pugs post just been out to garage to look at the throttle electric cables and the joining grey plug assembly he described. Took a couple of pics as well. Takes five minutes to do, easy to access I pulled the air intake moulding of just so I could take the pics.

Parted the plug assembly, cleaned it with a can of contact cleaner and added a bit of silicine electric grease to the plug. One thing I did notice is the plug sits vertical, not the best way to keep water and muck out. The silicone should take care of that now.

Many thanks to Pug, I am hoping this is the fix.

jimboF4

Attachments

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
There is a new throttle that has been released. Its got a stiffer return spring and from what I hear works different to the old one. It's the same one as that comes with the Rivale and new 2014 models.

If you get it and do the software update at the same time, you would not believe how brilliant your bike will become. It really truly is amazing what an improvement this software has made. I did both the updated throttle and software to my F3 and cannot believe its the same bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I mentioned the Rivale throttle swap to my dealer and he would neither confirm nor deny that it was an option. Apparently the Rivale throttle assembly is not yet available in the US. I'm also having an issue with the gear position indicator and that part is on order. When I go in for that repair they'll update the software and hopefully that will remedy the problem. I'll keep you updated...

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
The new throttle is part number: 8A00B5444 (COMANDO GAS D.B.W.).

You can physically identify it by twisting it (it has stiffer return spring than the old one).

·
Registered
605 Posts
I rode away from my parking spot at work and after about 100 ft the bike dropped to idle and the throttle stopped responding. No matter how far I twisted the bike stayed at idle. I pulled off into a parking spot, got a "Gas position" error and "stop engine" message and I immediately shut the bike off. Attempted to restart the bike after a couple minutes. Diagnostics were fine, bike tested OK. Bike started right up but just idled, no throttle response. Repeated this a few more times before the throttle started working again. Anyone else have this issue?

Rode it straight to my dealer and of course couldn't duplicate the problem for them. He mentioned something about a Rivale throttle assembly, but when I called back a couple days later he said it was probably just a mapping issue. Thoughts?
First thing: check the battery connections, battery condition and state of charge.
Next check the battery ground termination.
Then inspect the connections for the throttle system.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
One thing for sure the dead throttle issue is not a software fault, mine has had three different maps or re-flash of the ecu since last August, same fault reappears. Hoping that Pug has identified the fault being a simple connector either being dirty or not making good contact.

I like the light throttle action on my B800, I have tried the Rivale twist grip and there is very little difference in feel to me.

jimboF4

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have posted this under F3, "Gas Position Error" I have had it several times on my F3 800 but in say ing that not for the last 500km of riding. There are some good explanations on that thread none of which are the "Pug Plug" remedy which I will check. You think there would have put the Female plug on top so water could not get in. If you have vertical electrical connections exposed with plug set ups, that's the first thing that should be considered.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New gear position sensor came in so I was able to get that replaced and get the latest map. Bike rode fine on the way home from the dealer (less than 5 miles). Rode it about 30 miles this morning and now have stalling issues. The bike will stall after pulling in the clutch lever while approaching a stop light. Then when I took it on a short trip to grab lunch (just a few blocks) I got the unresponsive throttle and gas position error again. This is really frustrating!

·
Registered
272 Posts
New gear position sensor came in so I was able to get that replaced and get the latest map. Bike rode fine on the way home from the dealer (less than 5 miles). Rode it about 30 miles this morning and now have stalling issues. The bike will stall after pulling in the clutch lever while approaching a stop light. Then when I took it on a short trip to grab lunch (just a few blocks) I got the unresponsive throttle and gas position error again. This is really frustrating!
You're not alone Kid, my Rivale 800 ran great for the first 400 miles and now stalls at every single stop sign. No error message. Nice to know the new software (maps) has issues too.

Same goes for the "no throttle response" issue. That one can be scary. One time I pulled out to pass a car and had no power, just blahhhhh. I twisted the throttle to WOT and it finally caught. I guess this is a known issue MV is working on.

Dealer says no updates available. I have yet to take the bike to them. Next weekend.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well,

I have the stalling issue as well on my B3 800, ask your dealer to change the throttle to the new version!
Thats seems to be the fix for me! (first 200 km's are fine, whilst normally it would have stalled a few times)

·
Registered
72 Posts
it is the throttle get the new one . as stated it has stiffer spring but you can also Identify by looking at wires . new one has longer wire harness as it is from Rivale

·
Registered
639 Posts
Well,

I have the stalling issue as well on my B3 800, ask your dealer to change the throttle to the new version!
Thats seems to be the fix for me! (first 200 km's are fine, whilst normally it would have stalled a few times)
Mybuild, can you tell when you bought your B3 and what the building date is?
Because my Dragster was already equiped with new throttle when delivered and I have some stalling issues as well...

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
When does your bike stall?

My bike's been absolute perfect since the new map. Not even a hint of a stall since the update. Granted it's an F3.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As stated earlier, I already mentioned the Rivale throttle to my dealer here in Southern California and they claim that the new throttle assembly isn't yet available in the US. Don't know if anyone can confirm this or not.

The new stalling symptom happens on deceleration, when slowing down and stopping at a stop light. Before the new map it never had this problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
As stated earlier, I already mentioned the Rivale throttle to my dealer here in Southern California and they claim that the new throttle assembly isn't yet available in the US. Don't know if anyone can confirm this or not.

The new stalling symptom happens on deceleration, when slowing down and stopping at a stop light. Before the new map it never had this problem.
Yep, mine does the same thing but not real often. Kid, I wonder if it has to do with California 91 octane we use?

Either way, it's a safety issue in my opinion. What if I'm slowing for a stop light and the bike stalls then a second later the light goes green? The driver behind me sees a green light but my bike is dead.

I think a complaint with the USDOT is in order.

I hate to beat up on a company that is trying it's best to build a good bike but when it comes to safety issues I don't want to be a casualty because my bike stalled at a stop light.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
When yours stalls, does it happen to be on a downhill (or relative downhill)?

Everytime mine used to stall, it was downhill towards a red intersection (under braking). Cant ever remember it stalling on a flat intersection.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts