MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 F4 now has a brocken throttle..... Not at all impressed

Throttle is harder to turn and past 1/4 ish it clicks and u can feel it catching on some thing, which then stops it springing back.

Any idea on whats happened here? Is it a comon problem? ..... Should point out the throttle is still working alright (rev's properly etc)

·
Vendor
5,153 Posts
Mate,loosen the bar end and move it out a bit,common problem,snags the throttle,no big deal.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
As Mitchy said the bar end can move a touch and cause a bit of friction with the twist grip. If you still have a problem after pulling the bar end back a fraction then it will warrant inspection of the cable runs. There are two cables one to open and one to close the throttle...

First off is to open the throttle housing and ensure that all is well in there ..no frayed cable ends for example and adjustment of the cables.

If there is still a problem then you need to remove the fuel tank and look at the cable ends where they run into the throttle quadrants , again for frayed ends and also adjustment..There are adjusters down there.

It is no more common a problem with MVs than any other motorcycle with cable controls.

joe

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just fixed it.... Wasnt the bar end ( was the first thing i checked)

I pulled the throttle apart ... What happens is the return cable jumps out of its guide and gets stuck between that and the outer casing (which should not let it jump out) and that jams the throttle. Cheap nasty design

Tweaked it and refitted the cable the opposite way (it gets a bend in it) and thats sorted it for the moment

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
All of those throttle housings are similar. They have to be checked, and lubed periodically. Wear can happen, the bolts/screws that hold the housing tight can loosen, etc.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was an informative post too joe, cheers.... tho i'd already fixed it haha

I couldn't see any adjustment on the throttle end of the cables, theres something that looks like one but doesnt seem to be.... Is the only adjustment at the throttle body end ?

I was a little angry when i posted the thread, as not only had this happend and the battery going flat.... But the cat has also jumped on the bike and badly scratch my tank :(.... And still having smoke out the exhaust when ever u get carried away with a wheelie or 2

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
That was an informative post too joe, cheers.... tho i'd already fixed it haha

I couldn't see any adjustment on the throttle end of the cables, theres something that looks like one but doesnt seem to be.... Is the only adjustment at the throttle body end ?

I was a little angry when i posted the thread, as not only had this happend and the battery going flat.... But the cat has also jumped on the bike and badly scratch my tank :(.... And still having smoke out the exhaust when ever u get carried away with a wheelie or 2
I know it's frustrating for sure and not everybody is filled with glee at the prospect of removing a fuel tank..Cuz sods law dictates it will always occur when it's full of juice ; )

There are adjusters on the throttle housing of 09s and prev. Maybe yours is different.

If the cable is either loose or snagging it is possible for it to bunch up in the housing and form a loop in a sense which could then unhitch it off the quadrant.

I don't know if this is right or wrong but I spray silicone lube into the housing as it's clean and doesn't gunge up...and it operates pretty slick.

All the best and keep the moggie off unless its fluffy side down ; ))

joe

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
All of those throttle housings are similar. They have to be checked, and lubed periodically. Wear can happen, the bolts/screws that hold the housing tight can loosen, etc.

Hey Chuck..How you doin' ?

Shoot me your address in pm and I'll send you a Bursig Bolt : )

atb

joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts