MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My throttle gets stuck open to whatever speed I am cruising at until I manually bring it down using my hand.

My previous bikes the throttle always comes back to the original starting position as soon as I leave my hand off the throttle grip.

Is something wrong possible with my grip or is this how its supposed to behave?

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
My throttle gets stuck open to whatever speed I am cruising at until I manually bring it down using my hand.

My previous bikes the throttle always comes back to the original starting position as soon as I leave my hand off the throttle grip.

Is something wrong possible with my grip or is this how its supposed to behave?
Something wrong and personally I would consider that unsafe. Check the cable runs and throttle housing..

joe

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
the bike is fucked, i'll give you $500 for it as a parts bike......

or, move the bar end weight.....take your pick :drummer:

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
This has happened to me a few times on my FZR due to it's advanced age and modifications. As Donsy said check the bar end. Loosen it and it may free up. Also check the cables and make sure they are not caught or bound up on anything. Might be a good opportunity to adjust and lube them as well. I have seen the housing for the controls also give issues on some bikes if it's too tight.

As many have mentioned this is kind of dangerous even if you can pull the throttle back manually. By the time you realize what's going on and pull the throttle back you will have covered a lot more ground than you realized. I would not ride it until you get this fixed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me a long time ago, when I was young and dumb (now I'm just dumb). Anyhow, it turned out to be a frayed throttle cable inside where you couldn't see it, and was fun until the day it stuck open and I couldn't shut it down. Pretty scary considering I was doing about 80 towards a T intersection. So I strongly agree, don't ride it until it's fixed. Oh, and I'll give you $550!

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
and was fun until the day it stuck open and I couldn't shut it down. Pretty scary considering I was doing about 80 towards a T intersection. So I strongly agree, don't ride it until it's fixed.
The clutch is your friend in those cases. Just pull it in and your high powered missile is instantly disarmed and is bouncing off the rev limiter until you have time to shut down the engine. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
LOL!, that's exactly what happened! Although back then it didn't have a rev limiter.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
One of two things mate, either your throttle cable are adjusted wrongly, or the grip is touching the bar-end weight. Better to get it sorted ASAP.
This happened with my weighted bar end. I had it tight and either vibration or something caused it to retract a little more, hitting the grip. I just re-installed it with a mm or two space and its been good since.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses peeps. I will check on the weighted bar end as soon as I get back into town.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Let us know what it ended up being. Just noticed this was a 2010+ bike. That's way new to be having issues with already. Hope it's just the bar end.

·
Registered
967 Posts
my 2010 did exactly the same, I`ll bet a beer on the grip rubbing on the bar end and I don't bet beer on just anything. $ 650.00 take it or leave it and I`ll pay the shipping.:laughing:

·
Registered
967 Posts
$666 and I'll pay the shipping :drummer:

Ok Noel, you are on. I`ll pay the $666(interesting number) and you pay to ship it to me. Bargain. What`s more I`ll pay the U.S amount in Australian dollars so it looks like more money.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a better idea, Noel can pay for the bike, Cus can pay the shipping (to my location), and I can ride it around for a few years to make sure it's safe to ride so no one gets hurt. :) Watta ya gonna do, such a deal! Oh, and if that doesn't work I got 31,300 Rupee

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
you think I just fell off the turnip truck?

Ok Noel, you are on. I`ll pay the $666(interesting number) and you pay to ship it to me. Bargain. What`s more I`ll pay the U.S amount in Australian dollars so it looks like more money.
cus;
I'll pay fafman the $666, throw my leathers, rain gear and helmet in a bag and fly to Chicago.....

take the tool kit out from under the seat, take out the 5mm Allen wrench, fix the throttle and ride it back to LA

then Foxtrot4 can come over and see it :drummer:

I'll send you pictures:)

cus;
got 3 6s in my SSN, driver's license and old business phone number:naughty:

:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
Noel, aren't you also 66?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts