MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the throttle apart yesterday to fit a Throttle Tamer (all good) and when putting it all back together couldn't understand the function of the secondary throttle cable.
Its not a return cable like a traditional push-pull set up so what does it do?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Kel,hi one wire goes over the top of the throttle bodies and the other goes under it ,both are connected to it

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just doesn't make sense. The rear "pull" cable I get, but the front cable is slack under acceleration and if it then "pulls" on closing it would be pulling open. Or am I just dumb?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
They are Italians,the reason you have 2 cables i think is for more control with the throttle handle ,in other words 2 cables are turning half a circle on the throttle bodies . could you get away with one cable ,probably,hell who can work out these guys.

cheers eddy

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
You are missing the point. Virtually all cable operated throttles on modern bikes have 2 cables. One pulls throttles open and the other pulls them closed.
It's a safety thing. No way for a throttle to "stick" open.

Does not apply to "ride by wire" throttles.....:jsm:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are missing the point. Virtually all cable operated throttles on modern bikes have 2 cables. One pulls throttles open and the other pulls them closed.
It's a safety thing. No way for a throttle to "stick" open.

Does not apply to "ride by wire" throttles.....:jsm:
Understand, but on this system the "return" cable doest "pull" the throttle closed at all. Its on the wrong side of the circle. If anything it may just slow the closing action. Pull it apart and have a look.

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
The "closing cable" does in fact pull the throttles closed.
It is that was on all bike with 2 cables....going back a long ways. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Ducati, triumph....you name it.
Nothing new or special here.
You can remove the close cable if you want but you risk a throttle that decides to stay open when you don't want it to.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
At first glance, I thought the same thing when I replaced my cable. Without it, you won't get that "snap" when you release the grip. I'd keep it in unless I were stunting. :f4:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Kel, if you want to ride up the old road to Mt White at the weekend I'll check and set your cables for you for the price of a coffee ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts