MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just repeating what a bunch of my fellow F3 owners have said about the throttle bodies. GET THEM SYNCHRONIZED! I had them remap and sync when changing my rear tire and the bike feels like a whole new machine. Throttle feels precise, the power delivery is carried better through the rpm range and there is no surging Jekyll and Hyde personality. I loved the bike before but this must be how the engineers at Mv intended the bike to run, amazing!:f4:

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Sync?

MrTrogg;

there is 1 throttle shaft...... how would they get out of sync?

it was the remap!!

:drummer:

:popcorn:

·
Registered
895 Posts
The magic "throttle sync" on these bikes is actually pilot air screw adjustment across the throttle bodies.:)

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
????

The magic "throttle sync" on these bikes is actually pilot air screw adjustment across the throttle bodies.:)
they are bypass air screws.........did they move??????

they have nothing to do with "pilot air screws" a mixture screw on carburetors

try syncing 6, 2 barrel Webers on a Ferrari........

1st you do the linkage witha feeler guage.......then the bypasses, then you play with

the mixture screws to see if you can raise the idle

twiddling on carbs since '59

·
Registered
895 Posts
they are bypass air screws.........did they move??????

they have nothing to do with "pilot air screws" a mixture screw on carburetors

try syncing 6, 2 barrel Webers on a Ferrari........

1st you do the linkage witha feeler guage.......then the bypasses, then you play with

the mixture screws to see if you can raise the idle

twiddling on carbs since '59

Sorry for my incorrect wording, but EVERYONE on here who has had this done is talking about airscrew adjustment Noel.
Your ferrari carb story is just wonderful, but it has fuck all to do with this subject.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Sorry for my incorrect wording, but EVERYONE on here who has had this done is talking about airscrew adjustment Noel.
that ignorance is rampant on this and other forums isn't my fault is it?

if the blades are all on the same shaft......what changed?

if no one messed with the bypass screws whats to sync?

I showed Donsy my method at Bubba IV......he turned the screws for me

and it didn't require a TPS reset either

it was on Carl's SPR

·
Registered
895 Posts
that ignorance is rampant on this and other forums isn't my fault is it?

if the blades are all on the same shaft......what changed?

if no one messed with the bypass screws whats to sync?

I showed Donsy my method at Bubba IV......he turned the screws for me

and it didn't require a TPS reset either

it was on Carl's SPR

You are only responsible for your own ignorance Noel.
Is Carl's SPR an F3????
No, didn't think so. Once again you choose to cite the irrelevant.
The butterflies cannot be adjusted, correct. The air bleed screws don't move on their own either, but some F3s are coming out of the factory with closed airscrews.
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116770&highlight=synchronization
See posts 17 thru 20.
Get it now???????

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Noel, I've always referred to them as throttle body airbleed screws. But who cares what term we use?

Bottom line is that my Rivale consistently stalled when rolling off (closing) the throttle with the clutch pulled in. Didn't matter what speed or what gear. Lots of threads in this section about this same issue.

Took it to the MV dealer who put on the (at the time) latest map, and it still stalled afterwards.

Then took the bike to my local independent Ducati/Aprilia/Moto Guzzi/MV Agusta technician who sync'd the throttle bodies via adjusting the airbleed screws. He said the screw on the #1 cylinder was completely closed, which he had never seen in all his years.

Once his sync'd it via the airbleed screws, it has never stalled since. Never.

I have since read that the #1 cylinder is the one that is "read" by the ECU, and further read that other manufacturers (Kawasaki, etc.) have been known to close that screw to pass emissions testing / certification. Don't really know if either of these things are true or not.

And I don't really care why my bike was delivered new with that airbleed screw closed, but my guess is that some bikes just won't function well with one throttle body airbleed screw closed and the other two open to different levels. As you know I'm not a technician, but just applying some lay logic here.

Anyway, there are several owners of three cylinder MV's on this forum with stalling issues who found the exact same thing - #1 cylinder airbleed screw completely closed, and the sync eliminated their stalling problems as well.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Yep again. If you have the stalling this is the magic cure. Despite the dealer telling me that no 1 screw completely closed 'wasn't necessarily wrong'.

Me - Why hasn't it stalled once since I adjusted it then?

Dealer - errrrr.....

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
?

Yep again. If you have the stalling this is the magic cure. Despite the dealer telling me that no 1 screw completely closed 'wasn't necessarily wrong'.

Me - Why hasn't it stalled once since I adjusted it then?

Dealer - errrrr.....
simple you leaned out a cylinder.......that was too rich

so if opening all 3 bypass screws fixes the problem......

you think maybe its the MAP????

if you correctly SYNC a TB 1 screw will always be closed.....the leakiest one

you are correcting manufacturing differences so they all flow the same amount of air

at the same throttle position

what controls idle speed on the triples?

is the crank 120* or 180*

Kevin for emissions they can't read 1 cylinder.......the pipe is a 3 into 1

Greg don't get your panties in a wad ......its just a motor, an air pump car or bike

doesn't matter......it's the Otto cycle

·
Registered
895 Posts
My panties are just fine, thankyou Noel.

I simply tried to clear up for you what people were talking about when saying they had the throttle sync on the F3/B3.

If you can't accept what my (corroborated) answer was, I don't know what else to tell you...........

It seems that there's just no room in your head for any new information.

:naughty::naughty::naughty:

:smoking::smoking:

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

:drummer::jerkoff::popcorn:

????????????

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Kevin for emissions they can't read 1 cylinder.......the pipe is a 3 into 1
Thanks Noel. Again, I'm not a technician, but I gathered from what I read that the ECU somehow used/read the #1 cylinder not for emissions but for air/fuel regulation. Or something like that.

Regardless, there seems to be an issue with many three cylinder MV engines not liking the #1 airbleed screw closed.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
?

We have a 3 cylinder motor.......

2 of the bypass screws are closed and it dies........

you open the other bypass screw and it doesn't die......

you add air and it doesn't die.....

hmmmm you think maybe the MAP IS FUCKED???????....like too rich????

what number joke map are you folks on now?????

you think MV should have spent the money to hire a FI engineer to map the POS

BEFORE they released it?????

Neel from Pectel is $1,000 a day ........he does F-1 cars

again what kind of crank is in the triple?????

any of you know?

·
Registered
132 Posts
We have a 3 cylinder motor.......

2 of the bypass screws are closed and it dies........

you open the other bypass screw and it doesn't die......

you add air and it doesn't die.....

you think MV should have spent the money to hire a FI engineer to map the POS

BEFORE they released it?????

Neel from Pectel is $1,000 a day ........he does F-1 cars

again what kind of crank is in the triple?????

any of you know?

I had a problem with my bike where it stalled on stops pulling clutch lever in. I went for applying latest map again which fixed my problem. Dealer coked up when applying the map first time. Applying it again CORRECTLY was the fix.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts

Noel, you're looking at this from a different angle than the rest of us. And it's understandable - your technical background puts you in that zone.

Those of us who own the 3-cylinder bikes just want them to work. Since we can't impact the ECU map, other than getting a dealer to do updates (which in many cases did not solve the stalling problem), we looked for a solution to the stalling. If adjusting the airbleed/bypass screws fixes the stalling problem, it's really all we care about.

Sure, the map may be FUCKED, but we can only focus on things that we can control. Workarounds may not satisfy the technician, but they can appease the end user. And that's the perspective from which come.

Be well friend. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
A new map may provide a proper a/f ratio to each cylinder to compensate for a different amount of air to each, but it won't provide for an even amount of power developed from each cyclinder. That can only come with an equal amount of air being delivered to each along with the proper fuel ratio.

This will help smooth out the engine, and prevent a host of other undesirable effects.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
A new map may provide a proper a/f ratio to each cylinder to compensate for a different amount of air to each, but it won't provide for an even amount of power developed from each cyclinder. That can only come with an equal amount of air being delivered to each along with the proper fuel ratio.

This will help smooth out the engine, and prevent a host of other undesirable effects.
That would only be possible if:
1/ The ECU had 3 separate channels, one for each injector/throttle body.
2/ Each injector/throttle body had a sensor to communicate back and forth with the ECU
And,
3/ Each injector/throttle body worked independently from the other two.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts