MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't wanna start a flame (ok ok my nick doesn't matter ;) ), I was just wondering why a lots of people around the world (but in Italy, too) still consider our nation as a "folk turistic country, full of pizza, mafia and mandolino" and look what's happening: in this month we won World Soccer Championship, Valentino is on top of the world from 7 years, Ferrari is still winning, Ducati and MV are the most craved bike in the world. :flat:

what do we have to do to get rid of this "bad fame"? :stickpoke
I don't consider myself ALL Italian, 'cause I'm actually not, but I've grown up here and I know that we can do great things...and we're only 58 millions people. When Petronas bought MV, they went to CRC and said "You're tellin' us you're only 30 pepole here and you build the best motorbikes in the world?", they couldn't believe.

I wrote this because I'd like to know your thought about this, even if it's not positive, just to "check the wrist of the world" ;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I personnaly think that conscidering Italy a nation full of pizza, mafia and mandolino, gives an additional chamre to the country. This and the country's rich history of arts make Italy something special. And not just another country winning the Worldcup.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Flaming, not everyone believes those stereotypes but Hollywood has a lot of influence. :laughing: seriously :stickpoke

As an Aussie I'll leave the soccer out of this and let’s not forget Valetino's chief mechanic/engineer, Jeremy Burgess..an Aussie, or how many medals Australia wins in the olymipics...head and shoulders the stand out nation per head of capita or the fact that in science we...oh sorry we were talking about Italy...I too get a little caught up sometimes as the common stereotype of the Aussie is some beer swilling BBQ cooking idiot....what I'm trying to highlight is that every country suffers from this to some degree. Most people with a little education know better. I believe everyone I know is aware of the immense culture and incredible history Italy has given the world but as it is it's often these stereotypes that persist.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For my concern I LOVE Australia! Great racers from this country, and always great people I've met :king:
I'd really like to move there, but it's almost impossible :bawling:

Of course Hollywood has got great influence, and I don't really mind about soccer, it was just an example ;)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
What about Jeremy Burgess :stickpoke :) :) :) only joking... I don't really care much about the soccer thing either, just having some :stickpoke fun..after all it was not Italian referee :bash: and as I am half Italian, Italy was my second choice for victory and I'm very happy that they won.

Maybe a little frustrating sometimes and I don't know if it's such a bad thing but your post was a very good question and it is an intesting subject, I'd like to know how our friends in other parts of the world picture us here also?

Though I do believe that the finger of blame can be pointed at fillm, television (not just Hollywood but globally) with tv commercials being one of the worst using all the old stereotypical characters thus reinforcing them on past gererations and introdicing them to the new :conveyer: ...fortunately no-one is safe.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Rockethouse said:
Though I do believe that the finger of blame can be pointed at fillm, television (not just Hollywood but globally) with tv commercials being one of the worst using all the old stereotypical characters thus reinforcing them on past gererations and introdicing them to the new :conveyer: ...fortunately no-one is safe.

Ditto! Media sells dramatization. That's how they get rating, They only present what might appear as different than the norm, shocking and controversial. After all, if they show the norm, and normal people, who would wanna watch...it'd be boring, because we already live the norm???

You guys should complain...only if you knew how the media ignores the good people from my part of the world, and protray us all as radical idiots...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I agree Kamran.
But...gosh...you can't imagine how many times people (especially from US, sorry... :green: ) asked me "Do you have malls? Do you have Mcdonalds? Do you have freeways?" :wtf:
...c'mon, we're NOT jurassic park! Mass media inoculating such ignorance :bash:

BTW: we DO have McDonalds but fortunately for us, unfortunaly for Mr. Mac, our food is first quality stuff. So many closed in these years, maybe a mozzarella di bufala, tomatoes and parma cheese sandiwch is better uh? :loser:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yep lazy eyeties al of you

What good have the Italians brought to the world apart from Da vinci, Galileo, Marco Polo and then in modern motorsport Ferrari, Ducati, MV Augusta, Agostini, Rossi, Capirossi, Melandri, Biaggi

This reminds me of the monty python "life of Brian" and the question "what have the Romans done for us?"

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Flaming said:
I was just wondering why a lots of people around the world (but in Italy, too) still consider our nation as a "folk turistic country, full of pizza, mafia and mandolino"
It's kind of hard to me to answer that because i never saw the Italians from the perspective. "Au contraire", i've always look at the Italians from a much more positive perspective, the Roman Empire, the Renaissance, great artists and works of art, Ferrari, Lamborghini MV, Ducati, etc.... etc... :blah:
And Italy is for sure one of the country's i would most like to visit. :smoking:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
cut the country in 1/2. and don't let the damn railroad employees strike!

ok, that was a joke.

italy is one of my favorite countries. my wife & i put it at the top of our list of travel destinations. we love nothern italy! siena, firenze, bolongna - we could go back there anytime!

if someone from tuscany wants to trade houses for a month, i've got a nice 4 bed/3 bath place in So. Cal. (Irvine)!!!

alex

PS - i would suggest you not use an AMERICAN as a yardstick for what is known about the world. i consider us the most globally ignorant western nation on the planet. it's sad.

·
Registered
225 Posts
PS - i would suggest you not use an AMERICAN as a yardstick for what is known about the world. i consider us the most globally ignorant western nation on the planet. it's sad.[/QUOTE]

Yep sad but true :laughing:

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
reptile said:
PS - i would suggest you not use an AMERICAN as a yardstick for what is known about the world. i consider us the most globally ignorant western nation on the planet. it's sad.

i'm from the US
and i consider myself globally intelligent
i don't appreciate the
anti-american sentiment from anyone....

you want americans to stop thinking that all french hate us....
then don't make some blanket statement like this

because, frankly...... it pisses me off
americans are NOT dumb to the world
especially ones who are educated enough to have jobs that pay well enough to allow us to purchase expensive european motorcycles

think before you write such shit again..... please

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm half american and of course I don't think that way, but those questions always arrived from US people...I'm really sorry when I hear 'em...
the last one in NY didn't know that Milano was a city, he thought it was an actress surname... :cry:

anyway DON'T get pissed off, we're only giving peaceful opinion.

and Pigiolino, please do not talk about politics here, we got rid of a "big clown", we'll see if these people will be ridiculous as he has been (it's hard to beat him) :green:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
someone already gave me supporting data.

you want some more real data. try this:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/05/02/geog.test/

you got something to show me i'm wrong? let's see it.

btw, my opinion may piss you off, but you have to stomach it. personally, White supremacy piss me off but i have to see that crap too.

alex

spalding12 said:
i'm from the US
and i consider myself globally intelligent
i don't appreciate the
anti-american sentiment from anyone....

you want americans to stop thinking that all french hate us....
then don't make some blanket statement like this

because, frankly...... it pisses me off
americans are NOT dumb to the world
especially ones who are educated enough to have jobs that pay well enough to allow us to purchase expensive european motorcycles

think before you write such shit again..... please

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Italy is one of my favourite places on the planet. From the Alpine valleys in the North to the beaches in the South and I consider myself fortunate to have many Italian friends. There is a style and panache you can find no where else. Italy isn't perfect; but then no country I've been to is. Britain certainly isn't. Sterotypes are for small minded people who have nothing else to put forward.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've got to share something here...and please don't be offended as that is not my intention at all, it's just plain old humor...

A couple of years ago I was trying to purchase some travelers check. So I called my bank, which then referred me to their international division. There was a nice sounding young lady on the other side who asked if she could help me. So I proceeded to request for some Swiss Franks. She asked me from what country was that from??? :yo: I said Switzerland! :drummer:

After we got that straight, I asked for some French Franks. She proceeded to ask me, ok what country was that from??? :yo: :yo: I said France, and by then I didn't know whether I should be rolling on the floor and laughing, or worry about the transaction going through and getting the currency that I actually ordered???

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
altoon said:
someone already gave me supporting data.

you want some more real data. try this:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/05/02/geog.test/

you got something to show me i'm wrong? let's see it.

btw, my opinion may piss you off, but you have to stomach it. personally, White supremacy piss me off but i have to see that crap too.

alex
no problem
but don't quote ridiculous studies please
i don't think that way.... nor does anyone i know
so........ of course, as a physician i tend to be surrounded by folks who are a bit more intelligent about the world and travel frequently

stop feeding into the mass hatred of americans worldwide....
because it's ignorant on your part.... and i know you aren't dumb.....
i mean NO disrespect to you....
it's just that this thread has gone down the tubes, intellectually and ought to be ended.... IMHO

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Flaming it happens the same everywhere in every language. If you remember from the member BIO you see a lot of people on here who lived in many countries. I have seen it the same myself IN every country and ABOUT every country I've lived or travelled which are a fair few.

These incorrect international generalizations are not something I care about anymore and I promise I am much happier with that attitude :)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts