MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
King of Bling
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr. Allen Swift: Born: 1908 — Died 2010

Can you imagine even having the same car for 82 years?

Mr. Allen Swift ( Springfield , Massachusetts) received this 1928 Rolls-Royce Piccadilly-P1 Roadster from his father, brand new - as a graduation gift in 1928.

He drove it up until his death last year ... at the age of 102!!!

He was the oldest living owner of a car that was purchased new.

Just thought you'd like to see it.

It was donated to a Springfield museum after his death.

It has 1,070,000 miles on it, still runs like a Swiss watch, dead silent at any speed and is in perfect cosmetic condition.(82 years).

That's approximately 13,048 miles per year (1087 per month)...1,070,000 that's miles not kilometres!!

That's British engineering of a bygone era. I don't think they make them like this anymore

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
I think I'll go see that car this summer. It would be a great destination ride as it is only about 90 minutes from me.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Wow! I think the longest I've ever owned a vehicle was 3 years. And that was my old F4.

Thanks for the story!

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
I'll be in contact, Carlos!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
This can start a new thread. " what is the longest you have owned a vehicle?" I had my Porsche for 18 years.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I've seen this before. It's a really cool story.

·
King of Bling
9,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know one thing for sure guys, I doubt I'll be around when my bike's are no longer..

To survive 82 years is a pipe dream at the moment:)..

The oldest bike in my collection is my Kawasaki Z1100R Eddie Lawson Replica.. I bought it new in 1984 which makes it 30 years old..

This ownership story reminds me of a character called Trigger in a comedy series in the UK called “ Only Fools and Horses”.

Trigger was a council road sweeper and one of his classic quotes about his trusty broom was

Trigger: “I’ve maintained it for 20 years. This old broom's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time.

Sid: “How the hell can it be the same bloody broom then?”

Trigger: “There's the picture. What more proof do you need?”

Brian knows all about Trigger :)

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
I have one car that I've owned since 1989, and two others since 2000.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I know one thing for sure guys, I doubt I'll be around when my bike's are no longer..

To survive 82 years is a pipe dream at the moment:)..

The oldest bike in my collection is my Kawasaki Z1100R Eddie Lawson Replica.. I bought it new in 1984 which makes it 30 years old..

This ownership story reminds me of a character called Trigger in a comedy series in the UK called “ Only Fools and Horses”.

Trigger was a council road sweeper and one of his classic quotes about his trusty broom was

Trigger: “I’ve maintained it for 20 years. This old broom's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time.

Sid: “How the hell can it be the same bloody broom then?”

Trigger: “There's the picture. What more proof do you need?”

Brian knows all about Trigger :)

Thanks Dave:)

Ps I'm gonna trade my cordless drill for Triggers Broom tute suite!...cushtie?

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I have one car that I've owned since 1989, and two others since 2000.
I've owned my 240Z since 1984.......but for three years, when I sold it, and bought it back. I've owned my '99 F350 since new.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts