MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Tres interesting! FFS I can't understand the reluctance the stop the haemorrhaging, it seems almost a case of 'Wow we have almost bled out, let's do something?' When talking about 90% income revenvue drops, its not a slow trickle that sneaks up on you, it's a full blown punch in the face. Even the most incomptent (multi millionaire) CEO should notice that!

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Impressive and disgusting figures of the HD operations. Might nobody realized it, but did You all read about Dainese is leaving Italy ? This is in my eyes a shocker too.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Sounds like the CEO head would be on the chopping block. Time to ask for some of that TARP money - if GM can ask for hand out then why not HD? hahaha

·
Administrator
20,391 Posts
Sure...why not....remember all the 700cc bikes that appeared when Harley got our congress to place big import tariffs on bikes 750cc and up??

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
How on earth do you you report $4.7 billion (with a B) in revenues and only $70 million in earnings?

That would be like saying I earned $1 million dollars but after expenses and deductions only took home $14,900.

The IRS would be all over my return if I did that.

·
Registered
668 Posts
How on earth do you you report $4.7 billion (with a B) in revenues and only $70 million in earnings?

That would be like saying I earned $1 million dollars but after expenses and deductions only took home $14,900.

The IRS would be all over my return if I did that.
Maybe it starts with their full year tax rate of 60.5%, a lowered operating margin of 7.3% and the write downs on Buell and MV.

Here's the full release: http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/HD_News/Company/newsarticle.jsp?locale=en_US&articleLink=News/0632_press_release.hdnews&newsYear=2010&history=news

I won't harp on their strategy to make the same old, same old and "market" to new demographic segments in order to turn the business around. Is Jillian Michaels really a great marketing investment?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Their tax rate is 60%?

Wow. I'm sure my lefty friends would be pleased to know HD is paying their "fair share."

·
Registered
876 Posts
H-D still has money to toss around. They just bought the proving grounds that Ford recently closed down in Yucca, AZ. A couple of co-workers (electricians) have just given notice to go work there. I was dreaming of being a test rider for the MV's. Now it's back to reality!

The sun is out after several days of cool rainy weather. Think I'll go test an orange 910. Be back at sundown with pics....

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Their tax rate is 60%?

Wow. I'm sure my lefty friends would be pleased to know HD is paying their "fair share."
Other than Elton, how many leftie friends do you have?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Harley has been banking on 50 year old technology for years. the bikes are a overpriced jokes, and i really hope they die in this economy. they should die out like GM should have.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Are people overlooking the fact that in this slow economy Harley still made a profit for the year? The last Quarter results include the write downs for the closing of Buell, and the costs of keeping MV afloat until a buyer can be found. Why would anyone want a M/C company to go under? Just because the Bikes may not fit your style,they are as Iconic as MV is to their followers. MV needs a buyer, I hope they find a Good one, I dont desire a Sport Bike, but the World is a better place because MVs exist,along with Harley Davidson. I think they made a good pairing, and the improvements to MVs operations are proof of this.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Harley has been banking on 50 year old technology for years. the bikes are a overpriced jokes, and i really hope they die in this economy. they should die out like GM should have.
Why is that Snake Eyes? Harley employs thousands of people. Harley dealers employ several thousand people. Their suppliers employ many more thousands of people. They've got millions of satisfied customers. (I'm one of them)

Just because they market a product that you don't personally appreciate, doesn't mean that they should die.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Are people overlooking the fact that in this slow economy Harley still made a profit for the year? The last Quarter results include the write downs for the closing of Buell, and the costs of keeping MV afloat until a buyer can be found. Why would anyone want a M/C company to go under? Just because the Bikes may not fit your style,they are as Iconic as MV is to their followers. MV needs a buyer, I hope they find a Good one, I dont desire a Sport Bike, but the World is a better place because MVs exist,along with Harley Davidson. I think they made a good pairing, and the improvements to MVs operations are proof of this.
I agree completely.

The motorcycle world would be a far poorer place without HD notwithstanding the lack of cutting edge in their technology. In fact my Japanese bike views are fairly well known to anyone that has read my posts. I certainly wouldn't want any of them to go belly up nor the Korean and Chineses manufacturers.

The motorcycle world is made up, interalia, of bike affecionados, commuters and people that simply can't afford a car. Each will gravitate to their own and those that cannot find a market will indeed perish but I wouldn't wish it upon them.

I am sad that SAAB have died yet it wasn't my kind of car (although my wife owned a new 900s for 3 years between '98 & '01.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Why is that Snake Eyes? Harley employs thousands of people. Harley dealers employ several thousand people. Their suppliers employ many more thousands of people. They've got millions of satisfied customers. (I'm one of them)

Just because they market a product that you don't personally appreciate, doesn't mean that they should die.
I completely agree. I also own one of HD's products. What is wrong with GM. Your opinion is your opinion, but maybe you should examine the situation more before casting you opinion.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I completely agree. I also own one of HD's products. What is wrong with GM. Your opinion is your opinion, but maybe you should examine the situation more before casting you opinion.
Or perhaps you should respect my opinion, and realize you just don't agree with it, and that's fine, but I still feel the same about HD.

Just becasue you won a HD, no offense but why would I care; or that that tidbit would change my opinion?

I like all bikes, but some bike companies should evolve. I don't think HD did. The Buel is the perfect example of how horrible they failed at trying to branch out, but only with one bike, and it took them until the last year to get it right, and now it's gone (and you can't still GIVE me a Buel).

A lot of motorcycle companies have forged forward (Triumph) to utilize R&D within, and outsource to other companies for ideas.

I just feel that they made the same products over and over and really didn't grow. I know a lot of you will say otherwise, but that is my opinion and how I feel about them as a whole.

There are a lot of fantastic companies out there. Competition I believe is good in the market place as well. Those crap Kymco bikes actually got a foothold on entry level cheap bikes in a lot of states and sell a very well thought out beginer bike.

Most of you don't know this, but I have a 1961 chevy impala bubble top -black with red guts. It is my baby, and I love Chevy. But to say GM made any quality cars in the past 30 years would be stretching it in my estimate...except for the Yukon, some years of the vette and the 1996 Cadillac fleetwood brougham with the Lt1 stock. They made a lot of big gas gusslers in the past and failed in my opinion to compete with the import cars in the 90's and today. Infact the 2010 lineup is the first time I have seen a real competitive sport compact, or sedan worthy of putting up against the jap entry level cars, and forget the Germans, we are too far off.

I owned a lot of cars in my life, and have been a mechanic for over 16 years. I know GM makes a lot of crap. The "GM" transmissions sold to BMW in all the 3 series from 1992-1999 failed after 100k miles. There are a lot of problems with a lot of companies, and a lot of cars. I think GM made catastrophic mistakes year after year. They could have dominated the truck market but gave way to Ford after slews of problems with rear ends and tranny problems in a lot of their trucks in the 90's.

I really wish we as Americans could make a quality product we could be proud of, one that showed the might and intelligence of the educated people that do strive to succeed here, but it has been proven time and time again that we can not make quality products consistently when it comes to vehicles...(or at least in 30 years).

Lastly, look at other cruiser designs, the new ones from Yamaha and Kawasaki are sick. Ans THATS what will sell to my generation, the slick look of "Akira" modeled bikes, cruisers as far as the CC's and the way you ride and most important the ergonomics. The Japs I think will own the market in the next decade for this class of bike as well.:yo:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts