1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
546 Posts
Like anything for sale: it's only worth what someone else is willing to pay.
Earlier this year sold my 2006 Buell Ulysses for $1500 USD. It was a 12k bike new.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yup, that seems about right, sometimes they are cheaper.

Seems most of the market is more interested in S1000RR's and Jap bike's at the moment. The other's are into cafe racer's.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
It is a great time for buying though, buy a couple even.
Fair enough point too!

This is just part of the cycle of buying and selling. There are always good opportunities for those with their eye on the market. Whilst this particular bike seems extraordinarily cheap, I suspect there might be some 'desperation' in the sale because of the poor reason for selling: Not good in the wet season so I'll buy a car, is, to me, unrealistic. I don't think any of us would buy a lifetime dream and then sacrifice it for the sake of winter. We just go out and buy a crap car and keep our MV wrapped up, or, as some do, ride in all seasons no matter what.

With a bit of heavy negotiating, and a fist full of cash, I reckon someone could snaffle this F4 for about $6800. And THAT is a great deal.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fair enough point too!

This is just part of the cycle of buying and selling. There are always good opportunities for those with their eye on the market. Whilst this particular bike seems extraordinarily cheap, I suspect there might be some 'desperation' in the sale because of the poor reason for selling: Not good in the wet season so I'll buy a car, is, to me, unrealistic. I don't think any of us would buy a lifetime dream and then sacrifice it for the sake of winter. We just go out and buy a crap car and keep our MV wrapped up, or, as some do, ride in all seasons no matter what.

With a bit of heavy negotiating, and a fist full of cash, I reckon someone could snaffle this F4 for about $6800. And THAT is a great deal.
yes this is a very good point. I also wonder if there is something dodgy going on with this bike

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Ducati is doing a fantastic job maintaining second hand prices in South Africa. A 916 costs more than and F3 here. An old 2008 1098 more than a 2012 F4.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
keep in mind the bike is only 12 years old. It needs to be at least 25 years old to be considered collectible so it seems like a fair price at this moment

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Investments, High Finance or just Fun

My 2005 F4 1000s is worth zero. In fact, all my bikes are pretty much worth ZERO as my wife will readily tell you if stand close enough to her for 5 minutes.

WE don't see nor have ever seen motorcycles as an investment strategy/plan, sure they can appreciate, and my America 750s has made some eye watering gains since I purchased it in 2011 but to crystallise that profit I need to sell it and that's not part of the plan. Hence the Nil value - in fact, the opposite is true they cost money, registrations, insurances, maintenance etc. If this is any kind of investment, then the 'investment' is in the sense of well being, happiness and joy - very much an intangible as book value of our balance sheet. My mindset is that they are depreciable items and whatever value is in them at the end, whatever 'at the end' might mean is purely a bonus.

Having said that, our 'real' investments, superannuation, stocks & property (which are designed to hopefully help us us retire sooner rather than later) have far out performed the theoretical gains made by some of the classic motorcycles, so even if the motorcycles were bought as investment tools then performance would have been disappointing to the end game.

Everyone has a different view on these things and of course different needs, none are necessarily right or wrong, just depends on you and your lifestyle. :)

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Ducati is doing a fantastic job maintaining second hand prices in South Africa. A 916 costs more than and F3 here. An old 2008 1098 more than a 2012 F4.
I could see that as nothing Ducati makes looks like a Tamburini designed 916 anymore. The F4 just got a redesign in 2010 so the original design was around for 10 years. Give it more time, especially if the new superbike looks very different, and the appreciation/value could start to rise as the first gen continues to age. That and it will be the last of the Tamburini designs. If you care about resale and that sort of thing

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nt sure julian sorry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts