MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right before I am about to take off on a 2 day journey I find this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWSlanEZysY

I was very fortunate to push my bike out of the garage and felt it before riding off. Anyone else seen this happen? Single bolt on each side backed out and caused the problem. Does anyone know the toque settings for these bolts?

How can I embed a youtube video on this forum?

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Jeez Atom, your whole top yoke and probably steering stem is loose, who's been working on that bike.
Secondly, how long have you been on this forum, go and download the workshop manual from "you know where " ?:stickpoke

http://www.teamdouble3racing.com/manuals.php :naughty:

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good god more loose bolts! I'm starting to get worried about this bike. Would this be caused by my dealership replacing the sprag clutch? I didn't think they had to play with the front end but wtf do I know!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't consider myself very "anal" but damn, I do check periodically. Looks like I will be doing a round the bike tomorrow since I have a day off.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My Rivale has had its share of loose bolts, but both sides of the upper? Insane.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Mine had its bars come loose. That's not cool seeing ya clamps come loose like that

Loads came loose on mine but i just went over everything and it's all fine now 4250 into owning it

·
Registered
193 Posts
I can't understand how a person can ride a bike without realising that things have gone this far, situational awareness ?
I wonder about a lot of riders and their not realizing things they do (or don't do) will turn them into a grease spot on the road. Little things like good tires, checking your brakes, lubing the chain, and for God sake wear a jacket, gloves, helmet, and boots (don't get me started on the dorks that wear shorts around here) Jeez!

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
?

I can't understand how a person can ride a bike without realising that things have gone this far, situational awareness ?
Donsy;
how many pictures of destroyed hubs have we seen?

how do you ride a bike witha floppy rear wheel??????:wtf::wtf::wtf:

I've seen a RD-400 with the pistons THROUGH the front pads:jsm:

I just removed the Mg Marchesinis from my Brutale.......there was something going on,

there was a tiny new vibration through the bars......a wheel bearing was going bad.....

replaced them immediately......I pushed the pads back and you could hear it with a

stethoscope

:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Why not? It's this blue stuff that stops things coming loose. :)
Because it's steel into aluminium.
Because those things never come loose if tightened up to the correct torque.
Because the manual says so.
Because it's not necessary.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Because it's steel into aluminium.
Because those things never come loose if tightened up to the correct torque.
Because the manual says so.
Because it's not necessary.
I agree with all!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Donsy are you saying that I should have noticed this earlier and that my situational awareness is lacking? Is it possible that gradually over time the bolts became loose and the change was so tiny I didn't notice until the tipping point when the front became really loose?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
OK. I must admit I use loctite like I had shares in it. Started during my Harley period. Mostly not because things fell off but because every but and bolt felt like it had been tightened by a gorilla having a bad day and I never liked to tighten stuff that much but I still wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Donsy;
how many pictures of destroyed hubs have we seen?

how do you ride a bike witha floppy rear wheel??????:wtf::wtf::wtf:

I've seen a RD-400 with the pistons THROUGH the front pads:jsm:

I just removed the Mg Marchesinis from my Brutale.......there was something going on,

there was a tiny new vibration through the bars......a wheel bearing was going bad.....

replaced them immediately......I pushed the pads back and you could hear it with a

stethoscope

:popcorn:
I thought you only had only a broken lightbuld on your Brute :popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Donsy are you saying that I should have noticed this earlier and that my situational awareness is lacking? Is it possible that gradually over time the bolts became loose and the change was so tiny I didn't notice until the tipping point when the front became really loose?
Without trying to insult you mate, yes.
That yoke is extremely loose, and it's also loose on the steering stem nut, surely it must have vibrated like crazy.

Paying attention is a natural skill which can be honed, if you're riding stressed you won't notice the smaller things, if you're riding and focusing on things like GPS's or iPod's , then you'll not notice things like this.

Sorry if you think I was insulting you, I hope that it will make you realise that you need to keep an closer "eye" on things though.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts