MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The original MV Agusta handle has a little spring on the handle allowing the oil to go back into the tank when the pressure builds up.
This beautiful handle just let the oil pressure builds up in the brake and I found myself doing an involuntary emergency stop with the front brake on a motorway as a consequence.
I just had the time to pull on the side (I was at slow(ish) speed on first lane) and saw a BMW that was driving too near my back anyway narrowly avoiding me.
This is the hard way to find this out, although it could have been a lot worse.
I hope this will warn some of you.
Gosh, I appreciate life a bit more after this :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Glad to hear it wasn't a whole lot worse. I thought the CRG handles utilized the stock workings, just a different handle piece? Did you end up getting the bike shipped home or were you able to relieve the pressure and continue on?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The pressure came back as normal when it cooled down and I was able to ride again a little while before the problem came back.
I originally thought it was a built up of water in the oil but the mechanic at j9motorcycles (Surrey/UK) took a split second to point the handle as the problem.
I was down there for a MOT. Funny enough, MOT doesn't care about that.

·
Administrator
18,830 Posts
The problem is the lever is slightly depressing the master cylinder piston which then blocks the pressure relief port. So heating brake fluid can't expand into the reservoir.

My CRG also had this issue, but I recognized it when I was installing it. I milled 0.5 mm off the portion that contacts the piston to achieve proper clearance.

I had several emails back and forth with CRG about this, as it is a safety concern, and they assured me they would address the tolerance issue with their QC people. I think it must be a quality control problem, as you don't hear about this all the time, and CRG makes popular levers.

I have seen this same problem with other aftermarket levers on other brands of bikes.

Contact CRG and let them know. Maybe they will send a replacement. Or do what I did.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Does the 'setting' of the lever (1,2,3 or 4) make a difference? I ask as I have CRG levers on an EV03 and haven't had a problem and obviously don't want to..

·
Administrator
18,830 Posts
Does the 'setting' of the lever (1,2,3 or 4) make a difference? I ask as I have CRG levers on an EV03 and haven't had a problem and obviously don't want to..
It doesn't make any difference.
This is what I was talking about....seems a QC issue.

It is the piece that is bolted on with the pivot bolt that is slightly too "tall" where it contacts the piston in the master cylinder. The adjustment lever simply changes the distance of the lever from the grip.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Ed, can you show us where you removed metal from as I have seen this on one of my bikes.
jimboF4

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Glad to hear it wasn't a whole lot worse. I thought the CRG handles utilized the stock workings, just a different handle piece? Did you end up getting the bike shipped home or were you able to relieve the pressure and continue on?
In all fairness to CRG, I just checked and they are not CRG handles.
They are CNC levers from mfactory:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200758432121

They seem to sell a lot of them and the shop had very few bad reviews.
I never thought changing a handle could have such a dramatic impact on safety.
A few of their customers are bound for a nasty surprise.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Lesson learnt

This come's up way too often. The stuff from China via ebay is/can be dangerous, that's why I prefer to buy from the guys who actually knows what an MV looks like, and if I can't afford it, I keep the standard gear.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
yep the chinese knock offs. Ok for non critical items but brakes and such I'll pay for crg rizoma etc. Used a number of crg levers over the years and never had an issue.

This come's up way too often. The stuff from China via ebay is/can be dangerous, that's why I prefer to buy from the guys who actually knows what an MV looks like, and if I can't afford it, I keep the standard gear.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Not to be funny but I didn't think there was anything left not made in China.
MV Agusta are made in Brazil.
Susuki made in China.
Aprilia made in China.
iPhone, iPad, all made in China.
The list goes on.
Branded USA, Italia, France, British, but all made in Brazil, Thailand and China.
Shame it has to come down to this type of conversation because I'm sure there has also been a lot of craziness made in Europe/USA (decisions made in the profit of shareholders), i.e. wheel coming off, fuel connectors falling aparts, SPU failure shutting down your lights while you are riding the countryside,...
Apparently CRG (made in USA) used to have the problem too, and they weren't any cheaper then.

Did you know that for just a few pennies more on capacitors, all your white electrical would not have to be ditched every 3-5 years into landfills. That decision is not made in China.

·
Administrator
18,830 Posts
Ed, can you show us where you removed metal from as I have seen this on one of my bikes.
jimboF4
It is just the area that pushes the piston in the master cylinder.
I used a flat file to mill off 0.5 mm following the radius of the curve. It was easy. Sorry no pics.

Glad to hear this was a Chinese knock off and not CRG. They were very quick to address my concerns and I am sure they tightened up the quality control on that area.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
They are sending me another pair.
Let's hope they learned from this experience and nobody else will face any possible tragic consequence from these levers from now on.
They really should get in touched with their previous customers who bought this item to check for possible risks.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Not to be funny but I didn't think there was anything left not made in China.
MV Agusta are made in Brazil.
Susuki made in China.
Aprilia made in China.
iPhone, iPad, all made in China.
The list goes on.
Branded USA, Italia, France, British, but all made in Brazil, Thailand and China.
Shame it has to come down to this type of conversation because I'm sure there has also been a lot of craziness made in Europe/USA (decisions made in the profit of shareholders), i.e. wheel coming off, fuel connectors falling aparts, SPU failure shutting down your lights while you are riding the countryside,...
Apparently CRG (made in USA) used to have the problem too, and they weren't any cheaper then.

Did you know that for just a few pennies more on capacitors, all your white electrical would not have to be ditched every 3-5 years into landfills. That decision is not made in China.
No need to jump on the high horse mate. We've been down this road before.
What I was trying to tell you was just to buy your parts from a reliable supplier, people who know what works on the MV's in other words.
Your choice.....your life.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No need to jump on the high horse mate. We've been down this road before.
What I was trying to tell you was just to buy your parts from a reliable supplier, people who know what works on the MV's in other words.
Your choice.....your life.
Point taken. I was a bit tense those days. Sorry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts