MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had it with my Brutie. :431: I have got her since mid august 2012. Have done only 1400 km with it since she was more at the dealers than on the road. Thought all fuelling and mapping probs were solved, and they probably are too, but yesterday I suddenly heard a very strange noise coming from the exhaust area. First thought one of the protection plates missed a screw or something in that order, but unfortunately something inside the exhaust collector got loose. She's back at the dealers and I'm afraid she will be there for a while, since that collector cannot be opened, so a new one has to be ordered in Italy... I am really fed up with this bike. It's not fun constantly thinking : what's up next to go wrong? I want a bike I can rely on, therefore I am now discussing with the dealer to take this wicked bike back. As much as I love the looks of my brutie, and it breakes my heart, no more MV for me.:banghead:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
So sorry to read this although, I do know how you feel. It’s a real shame too because like so many of us, riding makes you feel younger. Worrying about things going wrong or worse, having things go wrong will cause you to feel old before your time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The catalyzer is defective... I am now trying to make a deal to swap the Brutale for a Triumph Street Triple, because I'm fed up with my Italian. Such a shame though... it is a realy beautiful and unique bike and I am sure that it gives a superb riding feeling IF IT WORKS:stickpokeI have planned a motortrip to France for a week and the departure is within 12 days... hope things get sorted out by then, one way or another...

·
Administrator
20,013 Posts
It is a shame you have had some problems. MV are not unreliable bikes. My Brutale 910R has over 20K miles with nothing but joy.
You must do what you must do, but all brands can have a random defective part. That is what a warranty is for. Even that Triumph could have a problem.
I hope you will not have any more problems with whatever bike it is you ride.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It is a shame you have had some problems. MV are not unreliable bikes. My Brutale 910R has over 20K miles with nothing but joy.
You must do what you must do, but all brands can have a random defective part. That is what a warranty is for. Even that Triumph could have a problem.
I hope you will not have any more problems with whatever bike it is you ride.

I would be interested to know how many people have problems versus how many people have not or what % of owners have had issues.

In terms of reliability - the MV stinks.:nutkick:

But, in terms of beauty, she is number one.:)

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would be interested to know how many people have problems versus how many people have not or what % of owners have had issues.

....in terms of reliability, she is number one..

....in terms of beauty, she is number one....I have 2 of them which have been fantastically reliable.

I would NEVER have anything else.......:brutale::brutale::f4::f4:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

It think it would be pretty hit and miss Getec....some guys have had no probs, and others lots of problems....

I had two F4's over an 8 year period....cams went in 750, big end bearing one went on 1000, both heavy rebuilds. But then you have senarios like joe's where he's had 60000km trouble free.
Luck of the draw i reckon....

·
Registered
657 Posts
I had a minor issue dripping coolant early on in the ownership of my Brutie, but since then all it's asked for is gas, oil and tires. It loves to eat up tires and I'm happy to feed it regularly :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's nice to read that not all MV's are crap and that a lot of owners really believe in the brand. But unfortunately mine seems to be assembled on a blue Monday.... Only 1400 km since mid August '12... my bike has spend more time in a garage than on the road. And because of all these flaws, I'm not keen on riding anymore. Its such a shame, because I'm convinced that driving a Brutale that runs as it should is one of the best experiences one can have. And imho it is one of the most beautiful bikes ever made. But I want to ride, not admiring her looks in the dealers workshop... Yes, I can repair her, it's still a warranty case, but I can't stop thinking : "What's gonna be the next issue?"

·
Registered
78 Posts
Understanding...

Hi Streetcat,
I understand where you are coming from. The super MV forum friends are simply saying to give your mistress another go. Whilst it is still under warranty, I would too. Hopefully, your dealer is giving you the best advice, service, support and time with your machine no matter what model it is. Contact MV Agusta customer care from the Italian website. They are great people just as passionate as you, me & them! I've spoken to them and they will go out of their way to offer you support, so you remain a loyal customer to this re-invigorated brand. Who knows... I think under your skin lies a bond & passion so thick.... No other brand could ever give you.

Good luck, ride safe no matter what you decide.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Administrator
20,013 Posts
I have to say, I know of people with Hondas that have had nothing but trouble. Lemon Law cases have been filed against every brand out there. A lot of it has to do with the dealer and motorcycle techs who are really just enthusiasts and not actually "technicians". Sad, but true. The job pays poorly and really talented people move on to better paying positions....at least in the USA.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Streetcat,
I understand where you are coming from. The super MV forum friends are simply saying to give your mistress another go. Whilst it is still under warranty, I would too. Hopefully, your dealer is giving you the best advice, service, support and time with your machine no matter what model it is. Contact MV Agusta customer care from the Italian website. They are great people just as passionate as you, me & them! I've spoken to them and they will go out of their way to offer you support, so you remain a loyal customer to this re-invigorated brand. Who knows... I think under your skin lies a bond & passion so thick.... No other brand could ever give you.

Cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve, I was promised to have news today from the official MV dealer. The problem is that I don't find him very cooperative... I'll see what comes out and if this is not satisfying, I could follow your advice and contact MV Agusta Italy. I know that they really care for their product, so maybe the solution can be found there.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
I have had it with my Brutie. :431: I have got her since mid august 2012. Have done only 1400 km with it since she was more at the dealers than on the road. Thought all fuelling and mapping probs were solved, and they probably are too, but yesterday I suddenly heard a very strange noise coming from the exhaust area. First thought one of the protection plates missed a screw or something in that order, but unfortunately something inside the exhaust collector got loose. She's back at the dealers and I'm afraid she will be there for a while, since that collector cannot be opened, so a new one has to be ordered in Italy... I am really fed up with this bike. It's not fun constantly thinking : what's up next to go wrong? I want a bike I can rely on, therefore I am now discussing with the dealer to take this wicked bike back. As much as I love the looks of my brutie, and it breakes my heart, no more MV for me.:banghead:
Sorry your having troubles. I'm normally pretty critical of some of the quality on the newer MV's BUT in all honesty some of the problems that your having could happen on any make bike. A newly built machine (cars and bikes) always has gremlins that have to be sorted out. Even on those "super reliable" Japanese bikes. If I'm 100% honest I prefer buying used to avoid the "new machine" gremlins and the dependance on the dealers not to mention an awesome cost savings.

Once you get the initial gremlins sorted out the bike should be pretty darn reliable. I have a 2002 F4 750 with almost 16K miles on it and quite honestly it's given me less troubles overall than my R6 of the same vintage and mileage.

Give it a few months and get the gremlins sorted out. Once you do it will be a very reliable bike and will provide you years of great service. If you sell now out of frustration you likely will go through the same hassle again with another new bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a brutale 1078 and has done over 22.000 miles. I had it remapped and though not perfect i do find acceptable (it is a brut after all) I had the hub changed, after over 2 years for free on the same day meanwhile i was on holiday in italy. I also bought few years ago an f4 with 5 kmiles that did give to the owner a lot of problems he did change it for an r1, i have done on it an other 5k of which 4000 on track she has not given a single problem to date, just a lot of smiles and happiness. I hope you do not give up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Streetcat,

Cheers,
Steve
Bike is at the dealers since 27th April and it will only be looked at TOMORROW
How long will I have to wait for the spare part?
After lots of sleepless nights I finally took a decision and ordered a Triumph Street Triple. The MV will be taken over for 6000 € (payed 9000 € 8 months ago and only drove 1400 km with it) Also have to add 2000 € for the T. I'm aware that this is a very lousy deal because it could well be that there will be no more problems with the MV once this is fixed, but on the other hand it can very well be one of those bikes that are never without problems. Don't want to take the risk and I rather lick my wounds and have a reliable bike than struggle on... Such a shame, the most beautiful bike I have ever seen, but the trust is gone and the MV adventure hereby ends for me.....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bike is at the dealers since 27th April and it will only be looked at TOMORROW
How long will I have to wait for the spare part?
After lots of sleepless nights I finally took a decision and ordered a Triumph Street Triple. The MV will be taken over for 6000 € (payed 9000 € 8 months ago and only drove 1400 km with it) Also have to add 2000 € for the T. I'm aware that this is a very lousy deal because it could well be that there will be no more problems with the MV once this is fixed, but on the other hand it can very well be one of those bikes that are never without problems. Don't want to take the risk and I rather lick my wounds and have a reliable bike than struggle on... Such a shame, the most beautiful bike I have ever seen, but the trust is gone and the MV adventure hereby ends for me.....
Sorry to hear about all of your problems Straatkat. I agree with you, that the bike is absolutely gorgeous and almost worth keeping just to look at! However, I feel you're making the right decision. I'm going to bet you will have zero problems (real problems) with your new Street Triple. Good luck my friend and keep us updated.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Warranty

We are emotionally attached to our Italian cycles. And we all know how reliable decisions are when they are emotionally based.

Make sure to have the warranty reset for the amount of time it was at the dealership.

I hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Sad news Straatkat, Sorry you had a bad time with it, but I am willing to bet it could be more the fault of the dealer than the brand. Who knows what s&*tball they had working on your bike... never trust the dealer :2up:, and know your mechanic if you don't do the work yourself.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I have a brutale 1078 and has done over 22.000 miles. I had it remapped and though not perfect i do find acceptable (it is a brut after all) I had the hub changed, after over 2 years for free on the same day meanwhile i was on holiday in italy. I also bought few years ago an f4 with 5 kmiles that did give to the owner a lot of problems he did change it for an r1, i have done on it an other 5k of which 4000 on track she has not given a single problem to date, just a lot of smiles and happiness. I hope you do not give up.
Good work Filippo, you need to put some pictures in the Trackday thread mate.

Such a shame, the most beautiful bike I have ever seen, but the trust is gone and the MV adventure hereby ends for me.....
Such a shame to see you go Straatkat, you seem like a lovely lady.
I can just imagine dealers taking even more advantage of you as a female, I know they love to do that over here.:nutkick:

At the end of the day, we are all motorcyclist's, I hope you have a great time on the Triumph, save riding.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Such a shame, the most beautiful bike I have ever seen, but the trust is gone and the MV adventure hereby ends for me.....
Don't!!! I am sure you will be sorry!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts