MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm in my car/truck I don't really notice the crazy/silly/unsafe stuff that people do while driving. Probably because I'm watching tv or something. j/k I'm no saint by any stretch, but I pay more attention when I see bikes.

When I'm riding my bike I pay way more attention to what drivers are doing or what they might do. Sometimes it makes me upset to see people doing dumb siht when they are on the road with me.

I will start the list. Feel free to add to it.

-eating
-cell phone
-oral sex
-shaving
-applying make-up
-reading (books maps, newspapers)
-rubber-necking
-brushing teeth
-combing hair
-kissing
-messing with kids in the backseat
-leaning over to change radio or something (glove box)
-sex (the girl was in the drivers lap facing him/her)
-change lanes without using blinker or looking in mirrors (I fcukin' hate that)

I'm sure there are more things that I've seen, but I'm tired from riding all day. My bike now has over 6500 miles. Hooray for me!!!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I rode the school bus accross town (about a 30 mile journey...) going from my High School to the Magnet School. On the way back one day, I saw a guy driving down the freeway, going ~70MPH while reading the newspaper and drinking coffee.... :stickpoke Yeah....in the busiest intersection in NE Florida (I10-I95 merger)like he couldn't wait to do that shit when he got to the office.... :cussing:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Very busy freeway, girl driver eating yoghurt out of a container with spoon...using both hands, and mobile phone held to one ear using shoulder in very animated conversation...obviously 'driving' with knees!!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imaptient drivers, changing lanes left right tailgating as if they're on a life or death mission. Sad thing is more often than not they don't get more than a few seconds ahead of you for all the crazy risk taking. I too spend a fair bit of time on the road in a van and though I'm careful..in particular when there's a bike around; but when I'm on my bike in traffic I'm paranoid..always expecting evry car to pull out, cut you off etc..can be very draining sometimes.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Hate to report this, but this morning when I got to work, a co-worker who commutes on the same freeway I do told me that on the way to work (about 10 minutes after me) he saw in the opposite direction of the freeway a motorcyclist laying motionlessly in the middle of the 4 lane freeway with his bike in pieces all over 3 of the 4 lanes, the CHP had just gotten there and closed 3 of the 4 lanes and the ambulance had just gotten there... he told me that the rider looked torned up and in really bad shape, if not already dead.

FYI this happened on the west bound I10 jusr before I405... the busiest freeway intersection in the US.

I have commuted on my bike for the past 3 years, over the 22,000 miles only one minor incident at very low speed involving a car door... for me, with the fun and excitement of riding, and as I get quite confident in riding/lane splitting in the L.A. traffic, it has been easy to get a false sense of security, or sense of omnipotence, sometimes it has been hard to admit to myself how little control I actually have while riding on the streets and how severe the consequences can be in a crash.

Sorry for being so serious and gloomy... It is risky riding in traffic, so ride carefully everyone, I would hate to hear anything bad happen to any of you. :stickpoke :stickpoke :stickpoke

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
odo. I hate seeing that...about two weeks ago I saw two guys down on the side of the road within the space of 1km...and too often hear about them on the radio traffic reports. Fortunately they looked like they would be ok but in both cases the bikes were "fubar". I won't commute anymore due to the high risk level of riding everyday in heavy traffic...not to mention the amount of clueless idiot drivers out there...one of the things I remind young riders of when talking to them is that a minor fender bender in a car can be a life altering experience on a bike...and it can happen to you.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Times I try to avoid:

Rush hour...people with heads up ass and late for work, or on the way home pissed off about work. Driving with the "out of my way attitude" :cussing: .

After school. 3-5 pm. Hard to do because it is usually a nice time of day but I remember what I used to do after high school with my friends! :crazyeyes
Getting blasted and driving Moms car like a nut! :rolleyes:

Night. The deer population is way to active in my area. They ruin my garden and can ruin a night ride very fast.

Be carefull out there. Just pretend you are invisible when riding.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Invisable

Hi
Thats the best i've heard. Makes you wonder why we do it, we always calculate for the worst. If my wife looks at this thread i'll be banned from riding. Enougth said aye.
Alex.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
ddnuts you are right. I followed a guy in a car, swerving all over the road. I thought he was alone in the car until I saw a woman sit upright in the passenger seat after she had obviously been leaning across the drivers lap, she was licking her lips!! No, I'm not joking. :naughty: :naughty:

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Yep, in fact just yesterday I had the closest call I've had in years. Approaching a side street, a car zips very fast down the road, so I slow and cover the levers; They appear to be stopping (there is a stop sign), and then at the last milisecond blast out in front of me making a left turn towards me. Lucky for me the MV has excellent brakes, however, during the full stoppie, my fully-loaded messenger bag shifts and throws my balance, causing a front wheel skid, but I was able to hold on and land the bike sideways, and end in a slow-rolling stupor. Don't know if the driver was on a cell, but despite flashing my lights on the approach, they certainly did not see me. :shocker:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Um.... it wasn't me. I swear. :naughty:

john said:
ddnuts you are right. I followed a guy in a car, swerving all over the road. I thought he was alone in the car until I saw a woman sit upright in the passenger seat after she had obviously been leaning across the drivers lap, she was licking her lips!! No, I'm not joking. :naughty: :naughty:

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
john said:
Not a good idea to do that while driving, if you lost control of the car and crashes, which is highly possible, she may choke to death and you may bleed to death... or at least receive a free sex change operation. :naughty:

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
luvtolean said:
Smoking, there's a reason ins premiums go up if you're a smoker
heh, in az with no helmet law, i see guys smoking (and using a cell) while riding a motorcycle :loser:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
odonata said:
Not a good idea to do that while driving, if you lost control of the car and crashes, which is highly possible, she may choke to death and you may bleed to death... or at least receive a free sex change operation. :naughty:
I remeber hearing sometime ago that this is the No.1 cause of penis decapitation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts