MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
I think it is kind of cool. But then again I am not the one racing. Would you give up 3rd place in race one to finish 4th? Would mean you start on the pole in race 2 instead of 7th.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't think any racer would give up a sure podium just to start a new race from the pole, to hope for a podium position. I don't like it though, superpole decides where you start, it should be that way throughout the weekend.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
I don't think any racer would give up a sure podium just to start a new race from the pole, to hope for a podium position. I don't like it though, superpole decides where you start, it should be that way throughout the weekend.
In MotoGP MM did not pass JL, just so JL could win the title last year.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I think it's seriously lost its way. Have two races on the same day was a big draw for WSBK back in the day. Now the format is spread over two days it's just not the same. Now this grid reshuffle nonsense. It just makes it harder to understand. The racing over the last few years has been so dull .
I really don't know what the answer is . Also wss is in trouble with several manufacturers stopping to make 600cc supersport bikes.
Perhaps the moto GP money machine will finally kill the series off.

·
Premium Member
5,618 Posts
Artificial nonsense... This is not racing.

·
Registered
312 Posts
In MotoGP MM did not pass JL, just so JL could win the title last year.
I know, team orders and personal favors to their buddies or fellow countrymen are not something under anyone's control. I'm just saying a racer who is sitting in 3rd place on the last lap, isn't likely to drop one position simply to get a better run down to the first corner of the 2nd race.
He will 9.9 times out of 10 take the for sure podium, knowing he has one more shot at changing his bike for race 2, and making a better run at it on Sunday.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
I know, team orders and personal favors to their buddies or fellow countrymen are not something under anyone's control. I'm just saying a racer who is sitting in 3rd place on the last lap, isn't likely to drop one position simply to get a better run down to the first corner of the 2nd race.
He will 9.9 times out of 10 take the for sure podium, knowing he has one more shot at changing his bike for race 2, and making a better run at it on Sunday.
Agree. I have never liked team orders.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I like the change. It will make the racing more challenging for the top riders and more interesting for the fans

·
Super Moderator
23,090 Posts
I have always thought race 2 should start in the order of finish for race one...for the whole field.

·
Registered
312 Posts
So it's a lot like mens club golf handicap. The good golfers have to give the shat golfers a few extra strokes per round, to make it competitive. That's for weekend warriors, the PGA doesn't do that, they are pro's, and they are big boys. Some will be great, some will suck, the cream rises to the top.
So basically they will be handicapping Johnny Rea, Tom Sykes, Chaz Davies, and occasionally Nicky Hayden.

Reminds me of when they kept adding weight to the ducati's in AMA racing, because they were smoking everyone. Maybe they still do that now, I don't know.

·
Registered
461 Posts
If they want a series that works (IMHO) they need look no further than British Superbike.

Superpole to decide grid for race one, lap times during race one decide the grid order for race two and the podium finishers get podium credits to go towards a "show-down" for the top five in the championship over the last 4 rounds.

All this avoids sand bagging during races and giving up a podium like some are suggesting may occur under these new rules, but hey I cannot imagine WSBK and Dorna ever admitting that some other Superbike organiser has a better system than them, so nothing will change.

·
Premium Member
5,618 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
When my son raced the Mickey Thompson Ultracross Series (similar to Supercross), they inverted the start of the main based on the finish order of the heats. Passing points were awarded in addition to points earned for main event finishes. This was done to add excitement.

One night in Denver as Chris was coming through the pack, a rider in front of him failed to do a big double. There was no place to go because the field was so tightly bunched. Chris threw it away in mid-air rather than land on the guy in front of him. Chris went to the hospital. Thankfully, the other rider wasn't hit. This is the danger of inverting starts. It usually doesn't change the finish order, but it does increase the danger of those first few laps.

When Chris was an amateur, there were races when they had him face backwards, or even start from the pits. It didn't change the outcome, and it did make it more fun for everyone involved. At the Pro level, however, the differences in ability are slight, and the consequences of starting the fast guys at the back can be severe.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Did someone in the FIM get into a major crash and receive a head injury ? Next riders will write there number on ping pong balls spin them in a barrel and the FIM will pick out grid positions like a lottery or bingo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts