·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Good info.
Things have moved on a lot since 2003 when the article was written.
E.G. When API SG was introduced it was proven to offer 6 times more wear protection than API SF.
Now we are at API SL at least, for most high end oils.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Oil Thread alert :jsm:

It's a good view of what is in the stuff although it was written in 2003,,, things evolve as oldnfast says

In my view there is one desirable constant to the discussion in the article, and that is the ability for the oil to stay in grade and and of course perform all the other, secondary to lubrication functions, such as cooling and holding carbon in suspension.
One of the variables effecting the oil property is the amount of additives or viscosity modifiers that are needed to attain the headline vi index, which ultimately reduce the stay in grade characteristics of the oil.
This because it's the additives which brake down when churned by the gears, lowering the vi index very quickly.

Oils based upon near to pure PAO in the article, are group IV. These pure PAO's come out of the 'distill' at near the optimal grade of 15w50 so require very little additives to modify their viscosity index.
This is ideal as it is very close to what nearly all of our engines need, and 15w50 being the natural vi it will not change by any great amount, even if the gearbox gears 'mashes' the molecules up for 6,000 miles or more?

I am reliably informed that here is one branded oil which is pure PAO, but I am also reliably informed that there are very few oils that still are?

Excellent info Ricc

:smoking:​

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil Thread alert :jsm:

It's a good view of what is in the stuff although it was written in 2003,,, things evolve as oldnfast says

This is very true. I still found it to be one of the better reads as far as coming from a motorcycle mag that ive ran across.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts