MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the title say's it all really. :bawling::cry::bawling:

For all of my Sydney bretheren, you would be well aware of the brilliant day that was recently arranged by the great BrutaleLuke. Some of you may have read on the follow up threads that I managed to actually come off on that fateful day.

Luckily for me, I was not hurt. I actually came off at what was a relatively normal speed, through a right hander , approaching Wollombi. I simply had the wrong line through a corner that had a completely shithouse road surface. This caused me to go a little wide and 'touch' the outer shoulder of the road. For those of you who know the road, it's a little 'rough' on the edge of the road too, with a smattering, (ok, quite a lot) of gravel.

Apparently the front tyres do not like this stuff too much. Mine decided to go on strike right at that point and go off for a smoke and a beer somewhere, leaving me to kind of, umm, fall off.

After picking myself up (with the great assistance of some anonymous riders..... isn't this a great community we all belong too?), I looked at the bike and thought "that's actually not too bad".

It's worth noting that the bike had crash protection, so the frame and tank didn't actually come into contact with the road surface. There was some gravel that flicked up on to the tank and frame causing some scratches.
My mate & John M stopped by for a chat (AKA to see if I was alright) and soon after we were off to Wolombi.

To cut a long story short(er), I rode for another 200+ klm's on the bike from that point to the drop off at Motorcycle Weaponry, where she was to be assessed for the insurance claim.

At this point, I'll say that other than a few scratches, the loss of the headlight glass and an extremely mild push of the radiator to the left by no more than a few millimeters, the bike appeared to me to have only suffered cosmetic damage.

Well, the last couple of weeks have been excruitiating to wait for the verdict from the insurance company.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................

Apparently it's going to cost $15,500 to fix !!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE FU#K?!!!

The bloody thing is scratched (ok, maybe a bit more, but really?)!!!

It would appear that either I have no idea at all of what it takes to repair a bike (which is extremely possible) or they just decided to replace everything on the bike in the quote, guaranteeing a less than desireable outcome.

Naturally if you live in insurance world, this equates to a 'write off'.

Are you crying yet? I am. I have been for the last few days.

So, here I am. I've just fallen in love & she's now gone to bike heaven.

So, the moral of the story is, it doesn't matter how good your insurance policy is, just DO NOT drop the MV. It'll probably be written off, rather than replaced, or repaired.

The photo's are of the damage to the bike immediately after the lay down. That's a 'write off' you're looking at.

No wonder our insurance premiums are sky high.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Wow

Really sorry to here dan, feel for you mate especially after you done all the mods to it, she looked fantastic.

Good to hear you werent hurt in the accident.

How could they right off the bike with the minor damage from the looks of the images:wtf:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Don´t sound right to me.
Is there nothing you can do to maybe do a deal with the insurance company? Assuming insurance works the same there as in U.K.
Anyway, real sorry and feeling for you.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Sorry to hear about the recent off, but if the frame is scratched or even slightly bent then yes $15k or written off sounds normal.

If the swing arm is scratched on damage it will cost the insurance company $15k for a brand new one not including labour!! Magnesium swing arm is about double the cost!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Sorry to hear about the recent off, but if the frame is scratched or even slightly bent then yes $15k or written off sounds normal.

If the swing arm is scratched on damage it will cost the insurance company $15k for a brand new one not including labour!! Magnesium swing arm is about double the cost!
I can understand if the frame is Scratched or bent but

Why is the Magesium Swingarm so expensive down Under?

We can offer them @ 3,469.49 AUD

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I can understand if the frame is Scratched or bent but

Why is the Magesium Swingarm so expensive down Under?

We can offer them @ 3,469.49 AUD
Australia is the land of the 'profitable companies'. Our pricing here is extremely high vs the rest of the world. I can tell you all about that stuff.

I'm not surprised that scratches see it written off. If my bike got scratched i'd want every part replaced.

I was there on the ride and saw your bike, i thought it looked not to bad, the main this was you were ok. You can always get another bike but you can't get another 'you'.

Those roads were pretty bumpy but i must have missed some of the super bad stuff as a few of the guys were talking about a pothole that gave them a tank slapper :jsm:

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
I think the title say's it all really. :bawling::cry::bawling:

Apparently it's going to cost $15,500 to fix !!!!!!!!!

Naturally if you live in insurance world, this equates to a 'write off'.

Are you crying yet? I am. I have been for the last few days.

So, here I am. I've just fallen in love & she's now gone to bike heaven.

So, the moral of the story is, it doesn't matter how good your insurance policy is, just DO NOT drop the MV. It'll probably be written off, rather than replaced, or repaired.

The photo's are of the damage to the bike immediately after the lay down. That's a 'write off' you're looking at.

No wonder our insurance premiums are sky high.
Dont |Cry

you should be celibrating and at the front of the queue to buy the bike back from the insurance company

you get a cash settlement

and then also buy the bike back for pennies

you then buy a F4

and own both brutale & F4

come on, get into gear.

·
Living the Dream
2,755 Posts
That is a terrible thing, F41NXS has the right idea!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
you should be celibrating and at the front of the queue to buy the bike back from the insurance company

you get a cash settlement

and then also buy the bike back for pennies

you then buy a F4

and own both brutale & F4

come on, get into gear.

They changed the laws here recently so repairable write-offs can no longer be re-registered in NSW.

I supposed you could take it out of state every year to have it re-registered? The stuffing about to do that doesn't sound worth it to me.

I'd put the cash towards a Brute 1078 :yo:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Weird...
like others said here above, if the frame ain't bent, if the fork is alright then i can't see why the bike would be a write-off.

You can use our site www.oem-vesuvio.com to check the price of MV OEM parts.
You can put the items to be replaced in your basket and see for yourself how much it would cost to replace them.

hope that helps...

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Sad story,
But at least you weren't seriously injured and at the end of the day the bike WAS insured.
So now sit back relax and start looking for which new weapon you're going to put your money down on.

·
Administrator
18,830 Posts
The frame and fuel tank can be repainted rather then replaced. So can engine cases and swingarm for that matter. Hell, even the radiator can be repaired for much less then new, and good as new.

Motorcycle shops don't seem to know about repairing parts, they just replace everything.

I worked with an exotic auto (like Ferrari, etc) body shop when I dropped my Brutale in gravel. It looked about like yours. When all was said and done the bike looked like new and the tab was about $4500, including replaced parts that could not be repaired (headlight lens, turn signal, grips, etc).

The body shop even repaired the scratches in the engine crankcase paint that I was willing to ignore to keep the bike from being written off...you can't tell it ever touched the ground!!!

One of these days the motorcycle industry will figure out how to repair vs replace when it comes to cosmetic damages... Otherwise our premiums will continue to rise.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That is a very sad story, It does no one in the hobby or the industry any good to just let this stand. You should be able to talk to your insurence people and come to a reasonable comprimise. Simply replace the broken parts and touch up the paint, any body shop can repair the scratches your pics show. My God this is a Motorcycle, not Jewelry, a few minor blemishes would just show character!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
They changed the laws here recently so repairable write-offs can no longer be re-registered in NSW.

I supposed you could take it out of state every year to have it re-registered? The stuffing about to do that doesn't sound worth it to me.

I'd put the cash towards a Brute 1078 :yo:

Dan

Sorry to hear your outcome - but at least you are ok - you can get another Brute with the claim money!!

Is it possible to by it back cheap from insurance company and sell of the parts as spares ?

If you can - you maybe onto a winner.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dan

Sorry to hear your outcome - but at least you are ok - you can get another Brute with the claim money!!

Is it possible to by it back cheap from insurance company and sell of the parts as spares ?

If you can - you maybe onto a winner.
Hi John,

Thanks for the kind words. As for buying it back, I have no idea whether that's possible. Nor do I really have the time, space, tools or technical ability to pull the thing apart to make some cash.

For me, it's on to the next bike I suppose.

Now the real question is, which one..........?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Hi John,

Thanks for the kind words. As for buying it back, I have no idea whether that's possible. Nor do I really have the time, space, tools or technical ability to pull the thing apart to make some cash.

For me, it's on to the next bike I suppose.

Now the real question is, which one..........?
Thats depends, if you are the feminine type, then a Brute will suit you well. But if you are masculine, the for sure a F4!!! :yo:

·
Registered
324 Posts
That is very sad to see but I'm glad you weren't hurt. That thing looks like a headlight, mirror and custom-paint job away from fixed. What the hell was so expensive on the estimate?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts