MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The proper way for using the OEM rear stand with one person.

When I picked up my Senna a week ago, Jake at Pro Italia showed me how to use the OEM rear stand by just 1 person, this is the method that was taught by MV/Cagiva USA.

Here are a few pictures for propping up the bike

Attachments

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
And to lower the bike...

Jake told me to say that the most important thing before lowering the bike off the stand is to be sure the side stand is down and the front wheel is turned ALL THE WAY to the left.

Also, the first few times it would be wise to do it with another person spotting you!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Thats wild! I raise and lower mine on my own, but never done it or seen it done like that, will certainly try the method, thanks for the post

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
it is actually surprisingly easy and painless, and Jake had total control of the bike/stand as I was taking pictures of the process, he was able to stop and pose for each shot.... as long as the stand peg stays fully seated in the rear wheel axel, the bike cannot fall over.

a lot of people think the OEM stand is not so good but with the proper technique, it is very easy to use.

hopefully these pictures can clears up some confusion about the subject.

A big Thank you to Jake! :guitarist :drummer: :guitarist

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I must try it when I put mine on the stand it is pretty easy I use my foot to set it up.

Getting it off the stand is the tricky part by oneself.

I will try the above method and see how it goes.

Really it should just be the reverse sequence of how you put it on in the first place but taking it off seems to be the scary part!

Look at his expression though!!! He looks to be straining a bit when he takes it off! :cussing: :jsm: :green: :errr:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Nah, not trying that way, if it overbalanced it'd be gone! I simply fit the stand to the wheel, stand the bike up so the stand is touching the floor flat, put right foot on top of stand, and push back, been doing it for 6years now, getting the bike off is easy, just grab both bars and push the bike forwards, as it starts to roll off the stand just apply the front brake to control the speed.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
mikef4uk said:
Nah, not trying that way, if it overbalanced it'd be gone! I simply fit the stand to the wheel, stand the bike up so the stand is touching the floor flat, put right foot on top of stand, and push back, been doing it for 6years now, getting the bike off is easy, just grab both bars and push the bike forwards, as it starts to roll off the stand just apply the front brake to control the speed.
Ditto! Works fine :stickpoke

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
mikef4uk said:
This is the way Ive done it as well and thought it was the only way! Never had a scary moment either....but was interested thet the comment was that this was the 'official' MV way

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have a better method, its called FG moto stands while my factory stands collect dust in the attic...the FG moto stands are 1000 better....

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
i've always done it the official MV way....I guess Im not as dumb as I look...figured it all out by myself...

It works really well that way and there is absolute control with little effort.
Because the bike is "pinned" the bike cannot tip as long as you hold the stand.
pressing the stand to the floor with just the two forward points (or bends) places two points of contact on the floor on both sides of the bike. Thus only minor downward pressure is needed to keep from tipping side to side.

·
Registered
281 Posts
odonata said:
When I picked up my Senna a week ago, Jake at Pro Italia showed me how to use the OEM rear stand by just 1 person, this is the method that was taught by MV/Cagiva USA.
Did you request instruction? If not, cudos to your dealer for assuming you would need it. It is funny how there are several means to accomplish the same end but one gone wrong would not be cool. I looked at it and assumed that it would take some weight to get it up. My approach, which works, but seems unorthodox, after reading this thread is this:
UP
- Insert into axle
- hold on to the rear of the bike (love handles) and pull back while stepping up on high-side of stand.
- with balance and applying weight slowly the bike comes to rest routinely
Down
- again, hold on to the rear of the bike, with left foot on the rear stand brace, push gently and allow the bike to lift you up, as it comes down
- with balance and applying weight slowly the bike comes to rest routinely

Sounds foolish, now doesn't it. Haven't dropped her yet, but I did almost forget that I had the sidestand up once :nerd:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
b42day said:
I have a better method, its called FG moto stands while my factory stands collect dust in the attic...the FG moto stands are 1000 better....

Agreed though I use a pitbull with metal pin for the rear - love my FG front windup though.
The eventual factory urethane pin surround swelling is a problem that technique can't overcome in my experience.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My garage floor is "slippery", so the normal pull to go up and push to get off doesn't work.

To get up, I put the stand in, level the bike out, and then step on the stand while pulling on the back wheel.
To get back off, I keep the stand up, and bars to the left. Pull forward on the stand at the axle, while keeping the lower curved part in place with my foot (so it doesn't slide across the floor). Once it is at the balance point, I just push on the bars using the front brake.

I don't think I like the idea of keeping the side-stand down while dismounting the bike from the rear stand. It seems like, especially with the bars to the left, it could hit the ground and upset the bike, or hurt the stand.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I do it a bit differently. I put it in there step on it/roll it to where the bike stands straight up, and both sides of the stand are touching the ground.

Then, I put my foot on the end of the stand while holding the bike upright and roll it backwards while stepping on the stand.

Then to lower it, make sure the stand is down, and get on the front brake side of teh bike. I put my foot on the stand where it curves up, step on it and roll the bike foreward, as it comes up, apply the front brake to slow it.

Basically, I do it as MikeF4UK said....doing things by yourself, you tend to find the quickest/safest way of doing things, i.e. work smarter, not harder. The way Jake is doing it looks like it takes triple the effort my way does...and I'm a weak noodle, so I have to figure out the easiest way of doing things :laughing:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
the pitbull reversible can't be beat for ease of use...plus it has wheels on it. BUT, the couple of times i used the stock stand, after placing it in the axle, i would stand on the stand and grab the rear seat and just lean backwards till the bike would rise up. i had to lean because i only weigh 165lbs. a bigger person probably wouldn't have to lean and rock like i did.

if i still used that stand i would try this method.

·
Registered
798 Posts
mikef4uk said:
Yep, me too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts