MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I crashed!
That was the end of last season and the end of life for my trusty Honda CB 1000R. As I was lying by the side of the road waiting for the ambulence, I started thinking, maybe now is the time to buy myself a Brutale.
That very same afternoon (after a breif hospital visit) I found a lowmilage 06 Brutale with the -10 hub and de-catted.
To my wifes misbelief I bought it. Made a minor test ride to see if everything was working and that was about it...

After having the bike for almost 6 month in my shed, I manage to hack away so much ice on my driveway today so that I could reach the main road.

Since my tires are brand new and the roads full of pebbles and water I promised myself to take it easy.

But after working my way up trough the gears I suddenly got aware about that sound. And when I gave a little on the throttle THAT GRUNT!

Couldn´t any body have give me a warning. That kind of noise is addictive...

After returning safely to home (with my license still in my wallet) I just sat there in silence and try to digest this first real impression of my brut.
It is just what I always wanted my CB 1000R to be, and that just the engine... I really looking forward to do some twisties on saturday and my trackday at the end of this month.

But I can already tell, this is the biginning of something good!

Cheers!
/Magnus

·
Registered
194 Posts
The noise got me too. I've since fitted an Arrow de-cat pipe to enhance it further.

The last bike to get me by noise as a Ducati 900 Monster - one of the best bikes I owed. I'm hoping to have a great relationship with the MV too!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Enjoy. I was worried you were going to say you crashed again because of the road conditions.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Just wait until you experience the spontaneous attention and affection from attractive ladies when you're out riding said Brutie........

"Chicks dig Brutie riders......". It's a scientific fact. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Enjoy. I was worried you were going to say you crashed again because of the road conditions.
I was out again today, and some of my favorite B-roads are pretty beaten up because of the long and hard winter. The handling is fine and cornering is like a dream. But going over bumps she feels really stiff. A almost pied in my pants a couple of times. The CB 1000R was more forgiving. I recall the same stiffness from my old Cagiva Raptor. Don´t know if I need to fiddle with the suspension or if that makes matters worse?

Maybe I´ll get used to it eventually...

//M

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
stiff

I accept your premise, I reject your conclusion. :stickpoke
How many miles on the bike, I have found that at 2k miles or so they seem to loosen up a bit, Maybe its the stiction? built in? And if you wt is 300,or 50 you are going to need diff springs,

·
Registered
101 Posts
I loved the noise my 06 made after I swapped the cat for an Arrow mid-pipe. There was the burble from 5-6k that made you keep it there constantly just to hear. Nastly little bikes those 910s are.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I accept your premise, I reject your conclusion. :stickpoke

But you're Canadian Stephen, so your conclusion is just wrong.....:stickpoke

Juuuuuuuuuuuust kiddin friend. :)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I was out again today, and some of my favorite B-roads are pretty beaten up because of the long and hard winter. The handling is fine and cornering is like a dream. But going over bumps she feels really stiff. A almost pied in my pants a couple of times. The CB 1000R was more forgiving. I recall the same stiffness from my old Cagiva Raptor. Don´t know if I need to fiddle with the suspension or if that makes matters worse?

//M
Ride it a bit more first, but you may need to set the suspension to "soft" as per the manual - mine came with the medium settings and was too hard for the goat tracks they call roads here in Oz.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ride it a bit more first, but you may need to set the suspension to "soft" as per the manual - mine came with the medium settings and was too hard for the goat tracks they call roads here in Oz.
I changed the settings to soft, the road are still the same but I think the change of setting did a whole lot of change. Maybe it´s just my imagination?

I mean, two turns here and three clicks there, could that really make any noticeble difference?

//M

·
Registered
194 Posts
I changed the settings to soft, the road are still the same but I think the change of setting did a whole lot of change. Maybe it´s just my imagination?

I mean, two turns here and three clicks there, could that really make any noticeble difference?

//M

It certainly can on high quality suspension units.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've stiffened my 990r right up as the rebound was a bit pogo stick like. I'm short and not too heavy(I like to think) I've got the rebound on the fork wound nearly right down to the bottom.
Our back country roads are crap too so I want to not break my spine but don't want to bounce off my seat either.
The suspension is about as good and bad as my old Honda cb1000r, it too couldn't be stiffened up enough for hard out cornering on shonky roads. Im not convinced single fork rebound & compression adjustments work that well. My Speed triple had better control over the suspension settings but felt heavy and slow compared to the MV.
Did another all day ride through the back roads today in wet and dry conditions, great fun but a bit hairy feeling when the back tire slips about.
Looking forward to getting rid of the Rosso tires, got 3200ks on them now, and when worn in another couple of 1000 ks will be getting the Conti Sport Attack 2's on. The Sport attack really felt good on the Triple so I hope they give me some more confidence in the hold to road arena. The Bridgstone s20s felt the best but got just over 4000ks out of them, my mate got half that from them on his Tuono.
I hope I'll get 5000 to 6000 from the Sportattack.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts

//M
Of course you should fiddle with the suspension.

Step 1) measure and WRITE DOWN your current settings.

Step2) If they differ from what is in your owner's manual, set them to the settings in the owners manual.

Step 3) Don't skip step one.

Ride the bike again and see if you like the changes. If not, report back with what you don't like and the forum will help you fix it.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Looking forward to getting rid of the Rosso tires, got 3200ks on them now, and when worn in another couple of 1000 ks will be getting the Conti Sport Attack 2's on.

Don't wait, scrap those tires, on my bike they were THE problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts