MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was disappointed to see that Lotus missed the Mark. The Lotus C-01 was to be a new class of motorcycle , an Exotic Superbike , an equivalent of an Exotic Supercar like the Lamborghini Aventador . The owners are the board members of VOLKSWAGON who created investment group to start up/own new Motorcycle companies. They also Own HORAX designing a super high tech engine , a 15 degree V-6
with TRIPLE overhead cams ,3 valves per cylinder and Slanted Pistons ( yes slanted ) The 15 degree v is so thin the engine looks like an inline 6, designed for Supercharging, and has an output of 215hp at crank .
The PERFECT engine for a new Exotic Superbike Right? ...Wrong Lotus C-01 uses KTM 1190 V-Twin? and modifies the engine to produce a claimed 200HP.
Next missed target IMHO is the fact the chassis a tube type using DUAL rear shocks for rear suspension. ala 1980s tech ?
This bike was SUPPOSED to based on modern F1 technology and designed by Lotus F1 race engineers ?(maybe retired Lotus race engineers from the 1970s)

I was looking forward to F1 tech adapted/designed to create an outside of the box , ground breaking motorcycle. All I see is a Sporster wrapped in carbon fiber with modern V-twin engine .
Ill Pass.

·
Registered
837 Posts
As I understood it, that "super high tech" Horax motor you refer to was a VW VR6 motor?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I'm more disappointed with the fact that this is one of the ugliest motorcycles I have ever seen. I love lotus cars and was really excited to hear about this bike, then I saw it and wondered what the hell happened. Makes the s1000 seem downright gorgeous.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I think Lotus should have removed their endorsement to use their name and brand as soon as they saw it?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi Cag , Ackers , I FIRED my builder for Stealing a motorcycle , skimming and not producing/working. Being he skimed money The Buell Firebolt &Procharger Harley Road glide heads where delayed. Should get them this week .
Pennsylvania/Philadelphia area is known for lacking qualified mechanics . Even finding a good parts changer is an undertaking .

I don't want to DOOM myself , but I just found a true professional Fabricating shop.(Billet Proof Designs in Devon Pa)
Also a engine builder that hails from Ireland . He loves Bikes and is a big Isle of Mann. He was mechanic/engine buillder for Isle of Mann race team.

Starting over with Harley Electra Glide build . Going easy .... Harley Electra Glide and use turbocharged Liquid Cooled Briggs Stratton 1000cc Vanguard 90 degree V-twin with forged rods/pistons, worked heads( big stainless valves, race springs ect) Racing cam ect. Actually a Known entity. Makes roughly 125 hp 145lbs torque @ 5500RPM when using 15 LBS boost. COMPLETE engine/turbo (Very small IHI unit) cost 2500$ New.
90 degree Briggs 1000cc v-twin makes much less vibration, fits in touring chassis like from factory AND hooks right up to Harley 6 speed transmission..

I raced against this set up in Daytona riding a 2012 Harley Electra Glide with 103 ci engine . It walked away from me like I was tied to post lol.
I am not saying Briggs 1000cc 90 degree V-twin is a racing engine . But at 2500$ including turbo kit ect it is a great Value as it performs better than a Harley V-twin. Also costs roughly 6500$ LESS.
Downside.... 125hp is the MAXIMUM Horsepower the block will take safely . Go to 130 hp-140 hp Briggs V-twin blocks crack.
Any doubter in Pa /Delaware/NJ I will race 1/4 mile against Any stock or Performance exhaust/Cammed Harley bagger for 2000$ wager.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mv Moose yes the super high tech engine is the VR6. Im not impressed with the VR6 engine either. If Lotus had used the 1200cc Supercharged VR6 15 degree V-6 triple overhead cam engine the bike would at least have a unique technical Combined with class leading power.
It needs SOMETHING to offset all that Ugly LOL.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I read articles about it and saw plenty of photos of it.
In all honesty it didn't impress me at all plus it looks like a flying dildo.
No matter if it is was all in carbon, painted in green or Martini colors.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I'm more disappointed with the fact that this is one of the ugliest motorcycles I have ever seen. I love lotus cars and was really excited to hear about this bike, then I saw it and wondered what the hell happened. Makes the s1000 seem downright gorgeous.
Welcome back KN......you've been gone for over six months now.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well the bike is bugly.
But i like the wheels.
Should look really good with a mandated mudguard!
Dual shocks a little too retro .
like the designer could not decide between retro and futuristic.
Form should follow function, styling for stylings sake not always good.
I wish them luck.
Might just be a rich guys display toy.

Ed :0

1 - 13 of 13 Posts