MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our friend Marilyn told us this story t'other day, I share it in case it brings some diversion from the various silliness that is going on around the world.

Marilyn's dad Stan is a grumpy old git at the best of times, and she became worried that during the hard lockdown in Victoria he might become even less agreeable.

Her solution was to arrange to have a bottle of scotch delivered to his house (not sure that this was going to help?), and to that end she identified all the pubs and booze barns in the reasonable vicinity of his home and called them, asking if they would deliver. She was on the last phone number, answered by a fella called Glen, and when Marilyn told him she was his last hope, he also said he did not deliver, and suggested that she try Woolies and Coles (supermarket chains with liquor outlets), and if that failed, to call him back.

No joy with Woolies or Coles, she rang Glen back and said 'Well mate, you are it'. You can see that some of Stan had rubbed off on Marilyn, but anyway Glen took Stan's details and hung up.

Coupla days later Stan rings Marilyn and thanks her for the 1 litre bottle of Scotch (so not single malt then) and the hamper, which apparently had 2 legs of ham, two roast chickens, and a whole larder of other goodies. What are you talking about dad, says Marilyn? He says are you going deaf now girl, and repeats himself.

So Marilyn rings Glen, and asks if it was in fact him, and Glen confirms, and says he thought he would include the food, and two of everything, in case Stan lived with someone else.

Here is the best part. Marilyn rang a wrong number, she did not get a pub or a caterer, Glen is just a bloke who was at home when Marilyn rang the wrong number, his number. Not sure how Glen did it, maybe he is a copper or an ambo or something. Marilyn reckons that Glen would not accept any money for all that food and a bottle of Scotch that he gave to a complete stranger because Marilyn rang his number. It might have been my dad he said.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
MacStrine Thank you for that story, it's well needed. In a sense, you just did the same.

Reactions: PunyJuney

·
Registered
530 Posts
We had a very similar thing happen here, this autumn:

An old family member.. and I do mean Old, she's 98 :) got into some trouble with the electrics in her house (She lives by herself, and is quite capable of taking care of herself on a daily basis, but the mystery of electric fuses and such is now beyond her) She does know how to use her mobile phone though, and called up to say that there had been a "snapping noise" from her washing-machine, and that the whole house was now in complete darkness. We called the local Electricians, but they were not prepared to drive out to solve the problem (?) We tried several close by companies, but they were all busy, and all had more than 3 or 4 hours response time -- We told our old aunt to stay put in her chair with a blanket and her phone, and promised to get back to her as soon as the nearest family menber could be dispatched to sort out the problem (Just happened to be me, a 3 hour drive away...) I was well on my way when I had a call from someone completely unknown to me.. He called to say that my aunts problem was solved, and they were just now enjoying a nice meal at my aunts house.. It turned out that a not very close neighbor of my aunt was out walking his dog that evening (It was rather late) and he thought it odd that all the lights suddenly went out in my aunts house as he was dragging his labrador away from trying to take a dump on her front lawn 🙃
Apparantly he dragged the dog away, went home, and then he remembered that it was a rather old woman that lived alone at the house.. He promptly got his torch and walked back to the house, knocked on the door, and then proceded to help her disconnect the washing machine and reset the HPFI relay.. When the lights came on (and the heating!) He suggested to get some nice hot take-away food, and saved an old lady from an uncomfortable evening/night in the cold and dark, waiting for me to arrive, and I saved a 6+ hour round trip .. We thanked him profusely, but he refused to give his address, to send him some little token of our gratitude. The next day my aunt called to say that the nice man was back, and was fixing her washing machine :)
There ARE very nice people out there!!

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Reminds me of the pet pigeon I had during my younger days as a skateboarder. He would ride on my shoulder or fly ahead and return on call. He was a good buddy but needed a flock to strut his stuff. He eventually died of old age. A life well-lived. Birds tend to have great personalities. Thanks Scott!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts