MV Agusta Forum banner

101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
John one of best bikes Honda ever made.Does that bike have gear driven cams? If it has a cam chain make sure its good condition as Honda V4s of that time had issues with bad timing chains .
No good asking 'John' about that bike, Jake. I bought it about 2 years ago. Mint bike and only just turned over 10,000 miles.:grin2:

Yes, it is the 'gear driven' cam model, in fact the second model (RF) of the V4 1000R. The first, the RE of 1984 was siad to have suffered oil feed problems to the heads and the bike consequently earnt the reputation of having 'chocolate camshafts'.

Pic of it after I removed the surplus 'decorator items'.:wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Beautiful Nigel.. Very, very nice example.

I've always fancied owning a CB1100R, but never got round to it.. Nowadays the bike would be to heavy for me and I've missed my chance..

This thing is heavy too. Made back in the days of steel and iron!

A real pain to get it out of my lounge room!:grin2:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Im going blind in my old age . Didnt see the...Cam Gear Drive... on the side of the bike lol. This bike was made when Mr Honda was alive and HRC was a force in engineering .I remember Mike Baldwin and the first WSBK champion who i cant remember his name , powering away from the field at Daytona only to have both break down from odd ball failiers , I think Baldwin was way ahead and the rear wheel bearing failied.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Hi Nigel any REAL news on the CBR1000RR-R? On the you tube videos at Losail the test riders are SO vague they sound like politicians. They stated the bike transitions from left to right easily, the rear has too much squat comming out of corners and the front end suspension is a bit too soft. BUT the settings where on sport mode and tomorow they where going back out on the track on race mode so they will finish review later. Then they go over the parts list on the bike and compare it to last years model. (which we have all heard 20+ times before)

Usually ata new bikes first test its described as the best thing since the invention of beer lol I remember people/squids being pissed off when i stated the Kawasaki H2 wasnt a proper full on track day bike because its chassiy is a bit flimsey and flexes when you push it hard through corners . I own the bike ,love the bike but Squids saying im wrong because magazine tester said bike great for track days ???

ANYHOW if you find a thorough test please let me know .

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
. . .

ANYHOW if you find a thorough test please let me know .
I don't think we will see any media test without a hint of bias or bucketfulls of 'I'm a great rider so I can say this and pick on this.' This week's MCN (Motorcycle News UK) will have a test, reported from the Qatar session. I don't expect any different from what I have stated above. I have never read anything negative in an MCN test report other than the Yamaha R1's 2018 - 2020 front brakes not being up to par. Think about this seriously: If a reporter were to criticise Honda's product, they might as well kiss goodbye to their career, or, at best, perform low-paid media write ups for the Kardashians and Jenners!!:grin2:

The best reports we will get of this bike will be from the man in the street like us.:wink2:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Visordown just did a more comprehensive You tube video. They state the 2020 CBR 1000RRR is more or less a bike made for track days and local racing for riders that are 5 ft 8 and under. If i wasnt 6 ft 4 it would most likely be an addition to my Superbike collection . BUT i would recommend waiting a year or 2 to give Honda time to debug and make sure the new, patened 1/2 timing gear/1/2 timing chain valve train is durable. Remember , no matter HOW good the manufacturer sometimes an unforeseen weak spot gets into production. It will most likely be as durable as a rock buts its a BIG main engine component . Better safe than sorry .

PS..... Nigel you are SO correct on testers fearing Honda back lash . The Ex Racer on 44 Teeth sheepishly said... I cannot lie, the pegs are very high and cramped... He said this like he just leaked a national security secret. 44 teeth are usually very strait forward and do not mind admiting mistakes. In there report on the CBR1000RRR they sounded like there was a piano over there head lol.

The New Honda CBR 1000RRR SP price comes in at 24,000/25,000 and the standard CBR 1000RRR comes in at 20,000/21,000 so its price is competitive.

I CANT WAIT to see BAUTISTA VS REA VS READING in 2020 WSBK. ...DORNA... PLEASE DO NOT PENALIZE HONDA FOR DEVELOPING A NEW HIGH TECH SUPERBIKE ....AND...TO BE FAIR, LIFT PENALTIES OFF KAWASAKI AND DUCATI. YOUR ONLY PISSING OFF MANUFACTURES.

HELP LOW TECH manufactures the current manufacturers will like the competition. The more the merrier.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Hello all MCNs Neeves just did a youtube video review =real review. Stated good bike very narrow track focused. NOT really street oriented ride. He is 6ft said cramped . Higher center of gravity turns in quickly . It sounds like Hondas version of an MV F4RR lol so we should love it !!

CORRECTION = PRICE IN US DOLLARS ROUGHLY 27,000$ - 28,000$ Previous price was in UK Pounds

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
. . . The Ex Racer on 44 Teeth sheepishly said... I cannot lie, the pegs are very high and cramped...
I've made the same comment on other forums after sitting on the bike at the Honda release last November at our Birmingham Motor Show. At 5'9", it does present as a tight fit for me - but I'll manage. (Might go to Thailand and get a couple of ligament removed from behind my knees!!:grin2:)

But this is a crucial point: A great illustration of adaptability by MV Agusta in manufacturing the F4s (1st gen at least, not sure about 2nd) with adjustable footpegs AND gear and brake levers. It would have taken little effort by Honda to implement a similar cam-adjustment on this bike, knowing full well that the pegs are 20mm or more higher than the bike it replaces.

Your comment, Jake, about the possibility/potential of Dorna 'penalising' Honda - assuming the bike turns out to be a flyer, might require very close scrutiny. We all know that new bikes receive sanctions and liberties over their initial season and into their second. Look back to Suzuki where it was allowed extra engines and testing times etc. Now, because Honda is a more established player (in Moto GP, but not in WSB) it will be VERY interesting to see how Honda will be treated. I think most of us will agree that if Bautista or Haslam notch up some impressive early season wins, Dorna will most definitely nobble the bike.

As an aside, I am dead against this 'equalising' the field. Fair enough to set rev limits for all bikes, and set limits for development costs, HOWEVER if the mechanics working for brand X have better development capabilities than those working for brand Z, why should THEY be penalised for superior ingenuity? (I agree this is a hornet's nest!:surprise:)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Nigel we are definitely on the same page but DORNA didnt give Ducati a year of scrutiny. Dorna scrutinized the Ducati V4 after its 1st pre season testing session and stated if the new Ducati V4 attained a podium finish within its first 6 races it would be penalized 250 RPM at redline.(motomatters.com) Dorna would have penalized the new Ducati V4 earlier but the paint hadnt dried on the bikes yet. LOLOLOL

Nigel i TOTALLY agree when you state ...why should a manufacturer be penalized for having better ingenuity?... I believe in this case it wont be a debated topic as most people on this site will agree whole heartily.

The only disagreement i have is that i would give odds betting DORNA will NOT penalize the New Honda CBR 1000RR-R if it won the first 6 races AND lapped the field. AND I DONT THINK IT SHOULD BE PENALIZED. But if they dont penalize the CBR 1000RR-R DORNA should lift the penalties on Kawasaki and Ducati. But that would mean DORNA would be admitting they made a mistake and that will NEVER happen LOL.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Nigel we are definitely on the same page but DORNA didnt give Ducati a year of scrutiny. Dorna scrutinized the Ducati V4 after its 1st pre season testing session and stated if the new Ducati V4 attained a podium finish within its first 6 races it would be penalized 250 RPM at redline.(motomatters.com) Dorna would have penalized the new Ducati V4 earlier but the paint hadnt dried on the bikes yet. LOLOLOL

Nigel i TOTALLY agree when you state ...why should a manufacturer be penalized for having better ingenuity?... I believe in this case it wont be a debated topic as most people on this site will agree whole heartily.

The only disagreement i have is that i would give odds betting DORNA will NOT penalize the New Honda CBR 1000RR-R if it won the first 6 races AND lapped the field. AND I DONT THINK IT SHOULD BE PENALIZED. But if they dont penalize the CBR 1000RR-R DORNA should lift the penalties on Kawasaki and Ducati. But that would mean DORNA would be admitting they made a mistake and that will NEVER happen LOL.
The bike will be hanging out with the BMW, for hopes of the rare podium.. It is looking to be a Rea, Redding, Toprak, show..

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
JDGUN???I have no brand bias but the British racing fans on here ie Nigel and Glenno are going to want your liver on a stick when they read your post LOLOLOL . So many Brits in the UK love the CBR1000RR_R i think there is a national holiday...Fireblade day.lol> Bur seriously, the new CBR1000RR-R doesnt have any new radical technology so the big budget Honda effort should have the bike sorted out from day 1 and be a very strong contender and Bautista has the skills to win. He has already proved that .

I have been so tired i Havent followed the winter pre season testing. I read Yamaha has been strong but track was wet all weekend so testing didnt show anything concrete. Has there been another test session at another track? BTW I did read Sykes was over joyed with the progress BMW has made during off season development. Sykes said the amount of advancement BMW has made is...Unprecedented... The new BMW S1000RR was visably the best handling bike on the WSBK grid but was surprisingly down on power by as much as 20-22kph BMW said they where going to concentrate on gaining HP/speed during off season development. So watch BMW, if the new chassis can withstand the HP gain AND keep its sweet handling Sykes and laverty might be regulars on the podium.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I always root for the small factories but In my not so Humble Opinion I believe Redding is in for a tough season.. No manufacturer has ever sorted out a Monoque chassis , even HRC when it was in its hey day. So i am sorry to say I cant see Ducati sorting the Monoque chassis during the short off season.

That leaves REA Bautista and Toprack. The Yamaha R1 has been reported to have new found power. Which is odd for a bike thats been out for 5 years already. Hopefully the rookie has the skills to match the pace of the Current Champion Rea on the venerable Kawasaki ZX10RR which now is the bike with the OLDEST tech on the WSBK grid. The ZX10RR is the last bike to still use the long? stroke combustion chamber of 70mm bore 55mm stroke. ( YET DORNA HASNT REPEALED RPM PENALTY) The new CBR1000RR-R will be on par with the Kawasaki ZX10RR from race 1 but Rea consistant/relentless riding at every track will see him on the top step yet again.

IN MY NOT SO HUMBLE OPINION I PREDICT REA WILL RETAIN HIS WSBK CROWN IN 2020

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
JDGUN???I have no brand bias but the British racing fans on here ie Nigel and Glenno are going to want your liver on a stick when they read your post LOLOLOL . . .
Nah. I read JD's comment shortly after he posted it.

After all, we are merely stating our beliefs. I put my faith in the brand of Honda making a big comeback, whereas JD puts his faith in results already on the table, which is, dare I say it, a more credible belief!:wink2:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
JDGun is a good guy I actually owe him 50$ going for a long shot betting Tom Sykes would place ahead of Davies last season . WHY? Last year i read the New S1000RR was odds on favorite for being the best Handling bike on the 2019 WSBK grid. What I didnt hear/read was the 2019 BMW S1000RR trap speeds where 20+ KPH DOWN on the competition. The previous generation BMW S1000RR was a strong runner in BSB Isle of mann ECT ECT So why would BMW come out of the box with a bike so down on power ?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Sykes said this off season BMW was going to concentrate on power so if the chassis takes the power increase without effecting its sweet handling BMW might be the surprise of the 2020 season .

JDGUN.... who do you think will place ahead of the new HONDA CBR1000RR-R?
JD how about double or nothing ? I will bet on Bautista on the CBR1000RR=R against anyone except Rea on the ZX10RR

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
. . . JDGUN.... who do you think will place ahead of the new HONDA CBR1000RR-R?
JD how about double or nothing ? I will bet on Bautista on the CBR1000RR=R against anyone except Rea on the ZX10RR
Bloody hell, Jake, even I'm not THAT confident!:eek:

This shows that I put realism over bias; I can't be influenced by brand patriotism and media hype. The bike remains untested in race conditions, and Bautista, whilst previously showing expertise in leading from the front, has shown strong evidence of crumbling under pressure. Haslam might podium in a couple of wet races, but I still (ashamedly) favour Rae for his all-round experience and racecraft. 214 bhp alone will not win races, as I know you will agree.

I know your money is on Bautista as a second place, but I'd see him as 5th at best at end of season. You read it here first!:)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Nigel ,put yourself in Hondas shoes. The CBR1000RR-R has been SO HYPED that if it doesnt come out of the box like GODS GIFT To 2 WHEELS many lifetime Honda fans will be sourly disappointed. So im SURE Honda has tested this Fireblade for at least 100,000 miles or more in all conditions . The CBR1000RR-R probably has 2-3 race seasons testing on it already. HRC will NEVER be as strong as it was under Mr Hondas personal involvement. You cant buy Passion. But Honda still has the ability to throw cubic dollars at the project.

I Read the Yamaha R1 has gained alot of HP during winter but that is VERY ODD being its been out for roughly 5 years . Maybe because the 1st 2 years Yamaha was busy trying to keep the engine and transmission from blowing up and they started late .

Ducati has yet to get the Monoque chassis sorted out . If the V4R still has midcorner instability, its going to be a LONG season for Reading and Davis and if the V4R has a top speed advantage again Dorna will Penalize them again .... JUST KIDDING ,THAT WOULD BE TOO BLATANT LOL.

BMW could be a BIG surprise if they gained HP/Speed which they need since its SO down on power . BUT then Sykes weight beats up tires so he is fast but only for 3/4 of the race .

That leaves Rea on the ZX10RR. Read the ZX10RR has found speed/HP over the winter... we shall see if its enough . Rea is IMHO the BEST rider in WSBK right now. He is fast , consistent AND he adapts to every situation ...like Rossi..

In my NOT so humble opinion on paper the 2020 WSBK season looks to be phenominal

101 - 120 of 125 Posts